Why don't you just take some vitamins and get better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by livin4him, Jun 16, 2006.

1. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I have heard this "stupid" question so many times. And again today, someone asks me this. OHhhhhhh people.

Why do people think it's that easy? And if it was, don't you think we would have already have done it?

No, I don't want to get better. I want to be housebound, not have any friends and watch life pass me by as I die a little each day.

What do you say to people like this?

Thanks for letting me vent.
  2. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I hear ya. I have no idea why people say these things...
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

we need vitamins and exersize right??

hows this one?
    My sister thinks I'm "LUCKY" cause I don't hafta work.

I don't call having Fibro and being unable to hold down a job,..lucky. ?????
    are these people off their rockers!!?
    what I'd give to be able to work!!!

uuuggggghh !!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wouldn't you rather be sick than stupid and tactless? They may find a cure for our illnesses someday but the stupid and tactless will likely continue bumbling through life, leaving a trail of people who can't stand them.

Love, Mikie
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I tend to ignore or turn the questions and throw them off.
    I ask 'and how have you been. I heard you have been sick', which I never did.

they tend to be more cautious then.

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

for what we got...

or for what some of "those people" got.
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have been on both sides of this issue. Many years ago my sister became ill with Lupus. I was devastated for her. I wanted to help. I was really on a health kick back then and I had not yet gotten sick with FMS and CFIDS. I remember sending her some herbs and vitamin supplements because I thought they would help her feel better. I didn't know any better. My sister, God bless her, was so kind and grateful and simply understood that I was trying to help her.

Now that I am sick I realize how simplistic my thinking was back then. I have since apologized to her, but she knows that I was coming from a loving heart.

This taught me a lesson. It has helped me to be more gentle with people who recommend supplements or treatment therapies to me. If they are my friends or family, I know they are trying to help me. I just say thank you for the recommendation.

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You really hit the nail on the head!!!!

Thanks for my morning giggle,

Nancy B.
  9. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I was just venting when I wrote this. Uuggggghhhhh!!!! It just infuriates me that people would think I don't take vitamins or do everything in my power to get better. Especially since it has been 12 years of this day in and day out.

I'm not negating the value of vitamins. I have taken them all of my life, before I was sick and now more than ever. I have 6 different liquid kinds in my fridge right now. Not to mention the ones in the cabinet.

I think it just infuriates me that this dd does not the recognition it deserves and gets knocked down to, "oh, you're tired. Have you tried these vitamins?"

10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I am probably too tired and inappropriate to respond to this, but I would say that you heard a vitamin pill up where the sun don't shine stops diarreah too! Yeah!

(I better go to bed now,,,LOL!)
  11. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I have gotten that comment a million times; I wish I could stay home and not work. bleh! so do it, you can stay home and not make any money like me. It is not against the law to not work...do it if you don't want to.

dozen idiots you deal with on earth, when would you like to interview? GREAT!!

You know what else I have found that helps, is as soon as I talk to someone about my CFS I immediately tell them how it's hard to explain when so many people ask the stupidest questions, advise on the dumbest treatments, etc... Then they seem to not ask many questions or they say "I hope this isn't a stupid question, but...." I like that dialogue much better.
  12. kat-E

kat-E New Member

The vitamins thang... the lucky because I dont have to work full time... just get some sleep/ you sleep too much...why dont you exercise, you would feel better...You just need to get out more...if you ate better you would not have that problem... have you tried blah blah blah, etc etc etc

13. jake123

jake123 New Member

We have a school police officer on staff. Once he pointed out a lady teacher who is quite large and has rheumatoid arthritus and said "she takes all kinds of pain killers, I'd love to stop her for driving under the influence and see what she has in her purse".
    I will never again write what meds I take on the info form at the beginning of school.
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I know. I have best friends who sell essential oils and you cannot discuss one thing with them as it is if you would just use oils you would be cured(of everything from bubonic plague to warts on the behind).

Then I have friends who blame me, say I am not giving enough to God etc. when I devoted my life to being decent and kind.

I just try and hold them in the light and forgive them as they mean well. Also some people are brainwashed by the outfits they sell for to, it becomes like a cult.

As Prickles said once and oft quoted by me now, "The only thing you can change about a person is a diaper if they happen to be wearing one." (LOL) so they are not going to change. We just have to try and not let it get us down.

Love and hugs Anne Cromwell
  15. baanders

baanders New Member

and every day is hard. It's a struggle. I pray a lot. Maybe you could tell the person that if they had the flu without the fever to take some vitamins for a cure...then they might get a little idea about how you feel.

It's really none of their business to offer advice unless they are asked.

blessings and best wishes
  16. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I have the exact same symptoms as so many of you are posting here. Mine started 6 months ago after taking a powerful antibiotic called Levaquin.

Within 1 day of taking this antibiotic my body exploded in such horrific and unprecedented symptoms like you all have here. I went by ambulance that first day back to the ER that originally gave me this Levaquin ( I passed out 10 to 15 mintues after taking this but the said it was a "vagal" response ) and they continued to give me this Levaquin and had me take it for another 6 days. I went back to that ER 2 or 3 times during this week not knowing what was making me feel like I was dying.

And each time they would ask if I was taking anything and the only thing was this Levaquin.
    For some incredible reasosn they never once told me in 6 or 7 ER visits to stop taking this medicine and I sure as heck didn't know enough to even consider this a cause as I was given this medicine without warning brochures.

Well, since this time I have had pain in my limbs, a torn rotator cuff, my feet and heels and foot bottoms, and other weird places. I am so weak I can't work. Lost my job.

The pain last night was so bad all I could do was moan and toss and turn ALL NIGHT. My gastro intestinal tract is shot and always in pain and nauseated and I have gas every 15 minutes.

For the first time in my life I am on anti-depressants.
    Doctors have given up on me here saying all the tests come back negative. I don't know what is causing this 24 hour pain and night time worse as well as insomnia...but it is almost impossible for others like my wife and kids to comprehend what I am going through. They just can't accept something this debilitating and that can't be diagnosed or treated so it will just go away. This is truly...TRULY...a nightmare. Gd help us all.
  17. painjayne

painjayne New Member

I also took a series of those 6 day antibiotics. On the sixth (or seventh?) day I felt a horrible sinking depression. I thought Oh well, finish one last pill. I woke up barely able to walk. Pain in my knees, feet, hands, and sick all over. The pain at some point during the five months turned to burning in my hands and I paced at night, trying everything over the counter.
    I took 15 acupuncture treatments as my dr. just didn't help with herbal supplements. I was taking the maximum Motrin, for little result.
    Finally after practically having to get a wheel chair to get up to a rheumatologist, I got some steroids from her, and the pain began to be tolerable. Now I am searching and trying every diet that connects to joints and health.
    I had also injured myself a LOT and 3 years before had been crippled falling several times and my feet hurt terribly. Played in a band for 30 years and barely made it but hung on somehow in the pain, and did portrait photography.
    There seem to be pills, and this website to interact with others. Maybe we've found the spot. I am gonna get MSM and tart Cherry juice, my next plan. My dr. also said I have rheumatoid arthritus and I am just starting Plaquenil................take care. painjayne
  18. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

"You can't fix stupid."

I don't get the vitamins as much as the people wanting me to try this or that "miracle" juice.