Why is coffee bad for candia??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mollystwin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have read again and again that coffee is off limits for the candida diet, but not why. Does it feed the yeast?
    Also, how long has everyone been on this diet? It's only been over 2 months for me and although I'm getting used to it, I sometimes feel like I am starving and I'm still losing weight even though I eat about 1800 calories a day.
    Input and encouragement is appreciated!!!
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I do drink a bit of coffee, but I have 0-2 cups a day, not a biggy.

Coffee kills off friendly bacteria, so the most important thing is not have coffee near your probiotics. The other reason, is coffee is acid forming. An acidic system is more conducive to candida and other illnesses. Coffee can also aggravate IBS, which is why I don't drink it every day.

Coffee is not bad for you though as a beverage. It has flavinoids, though not nearly as many as tea. It is also many times proven to be brain fuel.

Jeanne
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

That makes sense. I have decreased my coffee to one cup a day and use a toddy coffee maker which reduces the acid by 70%, so I am probly OK. I went off completly for a week and really missed it! It was just too much to take with all the other restrictions. I will stick to my one small cup per day. I read in another post to space the probiotics from coffee, so I already do that.
    Thanks for the input!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2006]
  4. borntired

borntired New Member

What is a toddy coffee maker? Sorry, I never heard of this.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm a nutritionist and have some godawful ones in my repetoire, but I wouldn't want to inflict them on anyone. I've had them inflicted on me, and won't go back.

1800 calories a day obviously isn't enough for you. You probably need to treat yourself to a few carbs, that's where the hunger is mainly coming from, you body needs some, and those fanatic candida diets usually cut them right out. I couldn't survive on 1800 calories either, and I'm only 5'3.5 and around 120 lbs.

I think most of us w/ this illness need more food than the average person, because the illness takes alot of fuel away from you as your body attempts to heal itself. When I'm at my sickest, my appetite is relentless, and I tend to lose weight anyway. It's only when I'm healthier that I can fill out my curves.

Maybe add some multigrain bread, brown or parboiled rice, some potatoes and even cheeze several times a week. You'll enjoy your food so much more, and may stand a chance of sticking to the diet better. I really believe it's better to modify your existing diet and cut out most of the baddies, than to change your diet completely to a tortureous candida diet.

Jeanne
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am on the strictist diet imaginable! Eat mostly veggies, some meat, nuts and oatmeal. Lots of salads etc. Organic plain yogurt. I think I will have to add some things to my diet. I will try adding some multi grain bread and young cheeses to see what happens. I am 5 ft 6 and weigh only 124 right now! That was OK when I was younger, but I really shouldn't lose any more cause I'll look like a scarecrow!
    I start FFC next Wed. I have heard that their diet is a little bit less restrictive. I don't want to be malnurished! Thanks so much for the advice!
    Dar
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2006]
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I do eat meat. Thought I had mentioned that. I eat beef, Chicken, pork, fish and eggs. I would really be starving if I didn't eat meat! Whenever I eat meat, and (sometimes its a 12 oz steak!) I also try to eat at least three vegies with it to help with the PH balance. Even with eating meat and eggs which I eat everyday, I am losing weight. Not as much as before only about one half lb a week, so that's not too bad I guess.
    I eat hormone and antibiotic free whenever possible. I can't find organic meat very often. I eat Laura's lean beef and Amish chicken. They don't use hormones or antibiotics.