Why is it that I can fall alseep on my couch but not on my bed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Sep 29, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have been having these spells of extreme fatique and suddenly my eye lids are made of lead & will not stay open. NO matter what I do to make my self stay awake I will fall alseep as soonas I take a break and out I go.

I will be watching my TV and before I know it sevreal show have passed me by and my body is trying to relax as the muscles start to twitch and jump and startle me. I am awake and I go down stairs to my bed.

I will lay there for a long time and still I don't fall alseep I don't understand why my body thinks that my couch is the place to sleep and get some rest.But for some reason it does.

I don't understand the why's and where fores of this sudden feeling that I need to lay down and sleep. I am so tired that I feel this urge to laay down adn sleep and my eye's will not stay open no matter how hard I try to make them stay open.

{I have tried to put tooth picks under my eyelid to keep it open but it does not work well.. my eye;s are so sleepy and so heavy that they just "POP" the tooth poick out of my eye's} Just kidding LOL.

It was really bad this evening as I was at the store. I needed to go toanother store to get some of the things I needed but suddenly I was over come by this extreme feeling of fatique and the need to lay down and close my eye's and sleep.

But I could not do that as I was in the electic cart at a store and I still had to drive the 3 miles home.

It was really hard for me to keep my eye's open as the bright lights from the head lights seem to just burn my eye's and they water and sting so much that it is hard to see and drive.

I am so tired & sleepy that I need to sleep even though I have other things yet to do. I am so over powered by this feeling of being so sleepy that I am unable to function each night at the same times.

And NO matter what I do to make me stay awake such as mopping the floor, or walking, keep moving, doing my dishes, all I feel is this over whelming need to shut my eye's and fall alseep.

What is going on with me? Does this happen to any oen else? Or am I alone with this strange problem? I don't understand what is happing to me and my eye lids but this need to sleep is so strong thatif I am home and reading my books or even typing here I will fall alseep . And then what I write makes little scense to any one who reads it.

NO answer do I have and all I have it this urge to sleep and I will fall alseep faster when I am on the couch watching TV. I know that there is something the matter wit me.

I don't know what it is as of yet but it is there waitring for me to over do it and "POOF" the SANDMAN HAS TOSSED HIS SLEEPY DUST IN TO MY EYE'S AND THEY WILL JUST CLOSE NOW , AND SLEEP COMES EVEN WHEN I WANT IT NOT

MY body has it's own time setting adn it is off center. And needs to be reset but no matter how hard I try to go to bed early I will just dose off and my body will start to relax and then the muscles will start jumping and suddenly I am awake wondering why is the TV not on the show I was watching just a few minutes ago.

And so I ask what is going on with me? Why am I faling alseep on my couch and not in my bed. Yes I am in a quandry about this situation , I don't know what to do to fix it and make me appear more nromal.

Signed sleeping on the couch, I could use some help if you please?
    Rosemarie
  2. baanders

baanders New Member

it's because your couch is more comfortable. Maybe there is something more relaxing in that room. Perhaps the TV helps you to fall asleep. The environment has such a big impact on sleep.

My suggestion...a dark room with a nice noise like a fish tank is great to fall asleep by. Do you like a certain smell in the room? Maybe you have bad memories about being in bed or even a fear of the dark.

If sleeping on the sofa feels better...do it as much as you can :)

I hope you feel better
    baanders
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have done that for many years...fall asleep on the couch more easily. Well before CFIDS and FIBRO. When my children were teens they would wake me up to go to bed!

I would go to bed and be wide awake. So I finally decided that they were to make sure doors were locked, etc. and they go to bed! LOL.

I have found out that pillows behind my back sometimes (not always) makes it easier to go to sleep. So I have wondered if the couch back gave some effect to going to sleep there.

I go through periods of times of sleeping on the couch. DH lets me sleep. He also used to wake me up to go to bed.

Blessings........susan
    OH...........Have to add.....that real heavy eye lid and tireness is something we have with our illness. It is awful isn;t it?[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2006]
  4. supergirl99

supergirl99 New Member

You're really not alone in this. I have been known when anxious to scar myself, by that I mean I flinch so badly that I scratch myself with my nails and wake up later and not remember doing it, I thought it was because I was in a really deep sleep, but my doctor says it's anxiety. Maybe you need to give in to your body and listen to what it's telling you, don't try to stay awake and when you have finally caught up a bit and are having an easier time of your routine you can try to retrain your body clock. (wish I could listen to my own advice!!!) I know it's frustrating when you have to get things done, but normally these things will still be there when you are having a better day!

x
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm not trying to be trite but I say if you can sleep on the couch, do it more. You're comfortable and feel safe there.

As for falling asleep when mopping the floor, give that up and go sleep on the couch. I'm only slightly kidding. SLEEP whenever you can. Your body is telling you it needs sleep!

(If you're worried about it being another problem, check with your doctor.)

But keep it simple. Tired? Sleep. Some of us can't and I think it's because we forced ourselves to stay awake.
    Hugs,

Marta
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Strangely you read my mind! I was thinking the exact same thing this am.

I sleep far better on the couch. I am wondering if it is due to the room being larger or airier or something. I slept for over 5 hours at a stretch last night and relaly awoke without as bad pains.

I have been worrying for some time that the foam pad on the bed may be causing some of the sleep issues. I have tried different bedrooms, and beds, but the couch works best. Mrdad sleeps in a recliner I think.

Love Anne
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

Hi Rosemarie. I think it is a safety and/or loneliness issue with me. I live alone and there is something reassuring about the TV being on (voices, movement, etc.) that the bedside radio doesn't match.

But who cares? Sleep is sleep, and if the sofa does the job--hey, great!
  8. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

Have you been checked for diebetes?

Sometimes the blood sugar can be out of whack and cause you to feel sleepy.

Also sleep apnea can cause you to fall asleep while trying to work, drive or just sitting still.

I was training a girl to run the cash registar at work when I fell asleep standing up and fell over backwards into the cig. shelves.

If you sleep better on the couch then do so.
  9. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Rosemarie I am wondering if it is the tv. My husband falls asleep all the time with the tv on and then has trouble sleeping in bed.

I have had to start sleeping in the guest room because neither one of us was getting any rest. In my case I sleep with a small fan on low all the time, winter and summer.

The soft hum blocks out the other noise in the house maybe the tv is doing the same thing for you.

My father used to work shift work when I was a child. To block out the noises in the house he would sleep with the radio on low.

I am with the rest of the posters here, if you sleep best on the couch then stay there. Your body is telling you that you need rest.

I just read your profile! I love Christine Feehan books. I have read all the ones she has written! My daughter introduced me to her and now we can't wait for the next one to be written!

hugs Redwillow