Why is it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 12, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Why is it one day we may feel "normal" only to crash and burn the next? Sometimes....just sometimes...I wish I never had a "normal" day, ya know? If I never had a "normal" day here and there, maybe I would really forget what it was like to be "normal".

Yesterday I was full of energy. Got the house clean TO MY STANDARDS, got ALL of my laundry done, including sheets. Even made my quota at work.

Now I cant move.

I'm sure I did too much, but, I felt SOOOO GOOOD!!

But then again - thank God I do have those "normal" days - to get caught up!

2. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Wow, this is so true. I do a couple "little things" around the house, and I mean little, my butt is done the next day. but like you said, it does "feel good" to get things done. Keep on goong girl,

3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

My hubby and I just had this conversation a few hours ago. I've been really achy for the past few days. This afternoon I took some pain meds and attempted to take a nap. It didn't work. My mind just wouldn't shut down. So, I got up, and because of the pain meds, I was feeling half way decent. So what did I do? I moved some furniture around in the bedroom and cleaned and vacuumed. A couple of hours later I could barely get up off the couch!

It felt good to have accomplished something, but I'm sure paying for it now!

I tried to explain to my husband that I can't just sit on the couch for the rest of my life. I'm going to have to push myself now and again, even if it means paying for it later.

You're right aussiewoman.....I'm not even sure I know what a "normal" day is anymore either. I'm not sure I'd know one if it slapped me in the face!

So, I guess I just keep on keeping on and do what I can, when I can. What else can we do?!
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

No answer but sure can relate. My normal days are getting far and few between but Thank God for them. This disease is such a mistery. Last week I thought I was dying, no joke, I felt so bad. The past three days I have been somewhat normal and able to do a few things but can't enjoy for thinking when is the crash coming.

I think that is one reason people have a hard time believing that we are sick.becasue we are like a roller coaster with out illness. When the crash hits I am the sickest I have ever been with anything in my life.

Maybe that is one reason we crash is on a normal day we over do because we are trying to get caught up. I did have one doctor tell me to rest on my normal days cause that is one way the body can heal itself.

God bless,
  5. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

Same thing here. I will wake up, feel great and I start cleaning and laundry and then the next day CRASH!
    I read an article recently that said that people with fibro have to realize that they cannot do the things they used to, the way they used to. It said to spread out the housekeeping and do one thing a day. This way it will get done and you are not pushing yourself too hard. I have put that into practice and it really is working for me. When I have a great feeling day, I do what work I can and then stop myself and know that I am going to pay for it tomorrow if I do anymore. Then I take a half a pain med and that will help the pain not get too bad and somehow that makes the next day better. The pain does not get to that extreme level.

The other thing that I have found is on my worst days, when I want to cry to get out of bed and just want to lay on the couch...I force myself to go out. I take a shower, get dressed and get some fresh air. I take my dogs for a short walk and get out of the house. Even if it's only around the block it helps me a bit. I found that when I slept more, stayed in the house and rested, I started feeling worse. So after going out for abou 10 to 15 minutes, it helped a bit. Just passing on some tips that worked for me.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

For us, this is our "normal". It's "their" normal that we can't remember anymore!
  7. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Shari1677,

This is always going to plague my thoughts. I try every time I have a "good" day to figure out what I did that caused it so I could replicate it. Of course, that NEVER works. Doesn't stop me from trying though, like it or not. Grr...

I'm glad you had a good day. That sense of accomplishment is such a wonderful thing!

8. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I try to figure out what to do to GET that good day. Of course, that doesn't work either. I know I really have little power over the roller coaster. I can do everything right(in my opinion), and it doesn't make a difference.

It's the most frustrating dd!

9. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, let me again suggest that what's going on in CFS is that people are suffering from a chronic vicious circle mechanism in their biochemistry that involves a combination of a partial block in the methylation cycle and glutathione depletion.

I suggest that the reason for the day-to-day fatigue is that the mitochondria are suffering from oxidative stress as a result of the glutathione depletion.

When a person with CFS then "does too much," what is going on is that the physical activity places a demand on the mitochondria in the muscles to produce ATP at a faster rate, to power the greater activity of the muscles.

Unfortunately, this also produces oxidizing free radicals at a faster rate, too, as part of normal metabolism.

But with the glutathione depleted, the mitochondria do not have their normal protection against these oxidizing free radicals.

The most vulnerable molecules in the mitochondria to attack by the oxidizing free radicals are the unsaturated fatty acids in the inner lipid membrane of the mitochondria, which is also where the ATP is actually produced from ADP.

This membrane is therefore further damaged by "doing too much," and the mitochondria are thus even less able to make ATP than they were before.

It takes time to repair this damage. That's what the "crash" period is all about.

The other aspect is that too much demand on too little ATP causes it to break all the way down to adenosine, and to be lost from the muscle cells, instead of just dropping to be ADP, which can then be regenerated to ATP. Then the cells have to start from scratch to rebuild ATP, and that's a slow process, too. So that's also going on during the "crash."

What can one do to get out of this vicious circle?

Lifting the partial block in the methylation cycle appears to be the answer for most PWCs.
    This will allow glutathione to come up automatically. We have proven that this happens in a clinical study on 30 women, most of whom had "official" CFS and "official" fibromyalgia. They reported significant improvements in energy, sleep, freedom from pain, mental clarity and overall feeling of wellbeing. And their lab tests showed that their methylation cycle function normalized, and their glutathione came back up to normal.

I've posted about the testing and the treatment for this on this board many times since early 2007. It's not very expensive, and the treatment does not involve prescription drugs. If anyone wants more details, please look in the archives or email me at richvank at aol dot com, and I will send you information.

I am not financially involved with the test panel or the treatment. It has helped at least two-thirds of those who have tried it.

I would really like for you not to have to suffer from these crashes, and I do believe that this will work for most of you.

Best regards,

10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Boy I can relate. Apparently most of us are in the same "club". Our own little "club".

I can feel alright for a while during the day even then BAM, without warning, my horrible headache hits, my legs are back to their normal horrific aching, energy is zapped. This morning I actually felt 'okay'. My sister called and invited us to dinner tonight. (She is VERY supportive.)
    Of course, by 2pm, I felt like total crap and had to make 'the call'. She is always understanding and left a nice message to stay home and rest. I cried. Even dealing with the most supportive people still makes you feel terrible.

My family is always reaching out to me. I always feel like I'm a big fat "NO". "I can't", "I don't feel well", "I'm exhausted"....blahblahblah - you all know the routine.

I am SO tired of missing out on life. In my mind I am normal - at least in the things I want to do, but when it comes down to it, I just can't do them.

I agree with Pebbles - when you CAN get out, even if for a few minutes, it does do wonders for the mind. When I've gone out, as long as I don't overdo it, I always say to myself "this felt good".

Fortunately I DO have some good times during some days, I am SO incredibly grateful for those moments. I wish they were more predictable and certainly more often.

When the weather gets consistenly nicer, I AM going to get outside and walk. Period. My promise to myself.
  11. loto

loto Member

I know what you mean!