Why is my arm and shoulder not sore

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fmandy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

after fairly extreme overuse, while using a hand saw 2 days ago? Before I was diagnosed with FM and CFS, I would have had to pack them with ice.

It seems as if I don't have any lactic acid "available" to build up in my muscles, after overuse of a muscle.

Thanks for reading,

Andy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Prickles, as usual you may be right :)

Goldy I have been researching your question about muscle tone or lack or, for the past couple of days as I have had time. The grand girls pretty much had me yesterday! Whew them children are super-hyper, lol.

I really could not find specific information linking FM with muscle tone, but it seems to be "implied" in many articles I read.

That is why some FM patients are prescribed muscle relaxers to take before they go to bed.

Here is an excerpt from "Arthritis Practitioner Journal"

"There is a dynamic and complex relationship between rheumatologic conditions and sleep disorders. Chronic pain at night will disturb sleep and is a common cause of sleep-maintenance insomnia. In part, this is due to medication effects wearing off during the night.

In addition, sleep deprivation (especially rapid eye movement (REM) sleep loss) as well as sleep disruption from sleep disorders and pain may actually lower the pain threshold.

This in turn renders patients hyperalgesic and increases their suffering. Disruption of deep (delta or slow-wave) sleep may result in musculoskeletal pain and tenderness."

This is a good read and there is more short, concise info here:

http://www.arthritispractitioner.com/article/6352

===========================

Then I found this weird article on "The Vestibular System" and how it affects our muscle tone: (gobbly gook to me)

"Abstract

In an attempt to better understand the otolith organs' contribution to postural control and their involvement with spasticity, we propose investigating their role in defining muscle tone utilizing acoustical stimulation. Over the years, the vestibular system has been

investigated, both anecdotally and empirically, helping to establish the necessary neuromuscular evidence supporting its biomechanical contributions. Such examinations have included vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (VEMP), the vestibular ocular reflex (VOR),

jump-tests and the vestibulospinal reflex (VSR), human centrifuge experiments, caloric tests, and galvanic stimulation. Generally speaking, these examinations can be classified into three categories; mechanical, electrical and caloric.

The primary focus for our efforts, though, will be on the saccule, and since prior research has established it as the most sound sensitive vestibular end-organ, we believe that it can be acoustically stimulated in such a manner that it habituates the neuromuscular loop resulting in a quantifiable difference in muscle tone.

The findings of this study may lead to new techniques that assist with motor control deficiency found in cerebral palsy and stroke patients along with astronauts returning from spaceflight."
    ================================
    This article describes the VESTIBULAR System:

"VESTIBULAR - This is the sense that allows us to recognize how we are moving in relationship to gravity. Receptors in our ears sense if we are upright, upside down, moving sideways, spinning, etc. As a result of this sensory input, we make adjustments to posture and to our eye movements.

Vestibular sensation has a strong impact not only on posture and eye movements, but also on: balance, coordination of the two body sides, and emotional control. Accurate vestibular processing is essential for the development of praxis."

===============================

During this search, I was surprised to see FM mentioned so many times as being a disease of the "Rheumatology type". I think it was due to the search terms I used which mainly were "how fibromyalgia affects muscle tone", or some variation.

Don't forget that one of our symptoms is "morning stiffness", which I could take to mean "max muscle tone"...

There are of course medicines such as the antipsychotics that increase muscle tone, and some conditions that do also. There are medications that reduce muscle tone and certain conditions such as MS.

I believe it has a lot to do with the quality of our sleep and our "tension" level in general. If we are tense, our muscles tend to increase tone, which is just an increased resistance to movement of the muscle.

If you seriously have real problems with and/or more questions about muscle tone, then see "Basal Ganglia Disease". One of the main symptoms is alternating muscle tone.

Cheers to all

Andy