Why is my hair going curly??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Michelle_NZ, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Well this a strange one!!

I have always had dead straight hair but in the last few years since being very ill (and taking alot of meds) my hair has started going curly?!?!

I've heard of this happening to cancer patients after chemo when they lose their hair and it grows back but this is really wierd!!

Its curly in some places and stills straight in others - its horrible!!

Has anyone else experience this?

Take care
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I take so many medications now, but if I really think about it, the curly hair started happening about a year ago - which is when I started mercury chelation... ???

I wonder if there is a connection?
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

There's a lady in my M.E.(CFS) group who had dead straight hair until she became ill, now it's really curly - isn't that strange?
  4. JulieMcCloskey

JulieMcCloskey New Member

My mom and I both have had our hair go "curly" after starting thyroid medications. I started Armour Thyroid for hypothyroidism about 2 years ago and I now have a full head of unruly locks. My mom is on Synthroid and has wispy, fly-away curls.
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Increasing either testosterone or thyroid replacement meds kinks up my hair.

I had not seen my Mom for 6 yrs. In that time, I'd begun replacing both hormones & got curly hair for the first time in my life. Mom thought I'd had a serious perm, could not believe this was her poker-straight-hair daughter.

I don't think the hormone thing works for everyone, possibly there's a genetic link. When my brother hit puberty, his hair got extremely curly.

Some meds affect hormones, and generally, I've heard that chelation will "unbind hormone receptors," making your natural hormone production more effective, so to speak.

Guess I'm fortunate, the straighter & curlier spots worked out OK for me. You do know that with culy hair, the shorter the hair is, the curlier it tends to be? Longer hair sort reduces curliness, so if your hair is of varying lengths, that could be a factor in styling.

For a cosmetic fix -- perhaps a partial perm in the straight spots, or straightening in the curly parts, whichever way you choose to go ???

Good luck!
  6. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I wish mine would go curly I have always wanted curly hair but mine is poker straight. Iknow though I should be careful what I wish for
  7. mbofov

mbofov Member

One of my sisters who had straight hair started going curly after our mother died last year. It started in the front and has been gradually working its way to the back of her head. It's really something to see - her hair has just been so straight for so long. We theorize that maybe the stress from our mother's death had something to do with it.

She did have curls when she was little but it straightened about 20 some years ago, and now is curling again.

Mary
  8. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

Hey,

Mine happened in a very short time. After I turned 35 my hair started going curly. I used have to long straight hair to that went all the way to my waistband.

After it started going curly, the shorter it keeps getting. Although I love it, I have no idea what caused it. I wasn't on any meds at the time. No chemo. Nothing at all was going on at the time I can remember. It just started getting curly first in the front, then the back.

I always thought I wanted curly hair, but lord have mercy; it is hard as heck to try to straighten it out with one of those straighten irons.

Maybe what Bluebottle said is what happened to me? I recall a lot of aches and pains and went to the psychologist from the time I was 36 until I was 42. I was most dealing with depression but also ached a lot and got the diagnosis of FM in 2005. I will ask that question to my PC next time I go.

Good luck and I guess we will have to make the best of it,
    dc

[This Message was Edited on 08/15/2008]
  9. VistaDeNada

VistaDeNada Guest

I also had straight hair all my life until about two years ago. It got very wavy/kinky practically overnight, but there's still places near the temples that are straight and soft as down, very fine, very whispy.

Assumed it was because gray hairs are taking over and they are thicker and curlier than the younger hair. Now my hair looks wrinkled and unkempt all the time, no matter what I do to it. It's like trying to style -- excuse me --pubic hair! I hate it, but when I found this thread I was so relieved that I am not alone. Could it be that my small dose of levoxyl (thyroid) has ceased working for me?

I'm 47 and taking Lyrica, Provigil, Ambien and a bunch of other non-hormonal things. I think this started around the time I started taking Provigil, or when my kids moved away from home. Can't remember now. My hairdresser said it's because I am conditioning too much (ha!)

10. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I posted this same thing a few weeks ago............my hair fell out after an op which caused me to be bedridden for nearly 2 years.
    It has grown as other describe on here.
    Stright near the front.............curly on the rest!!!!

It is horrible now....very thin and wispy.I hate it when the wind blows...moves my fringe!!!! gggrrrr lol.

I think stress caused it for me.Yuk!

Rena
  11. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I posted this same thing a few weeks ago............my hair fell out after an op which caused me to be bedridden for nearly 2 years.
    It has grown as other describe on here.
    Stright near the front.............curly on the rest!!!!

It is horrible now....very thin and wispy.I hate it when the wind blows...moves my fringe!!!! gggrrrr lol.

I think stress of getting ill caused it for me.Yuk!

Rena
  12. sassymamma

sassymamma Member

I have been going through perimenopause since 2003. I was born with poker straight hair and no amount of perm, hair products or curling iron... my hair wouldn't budge, talk about stubborn as a mule.
    I am now 50 with hair 2 inches below the shoulder and my hair is loose curly from the shoulder level to the ends. I believe it is the perimenopause and the crazy roller coaster hormones that causes this phenomenon.
    I am wondering when I go through menopause and post menopause if my hair will stay in curl formation or will my hair turn wiry and unruly.... we'll see.
    I don't believe in taking chemical hormones; I would not want to go through side effects. I have allergies to sulfates/sulfites ( racing heart,mild rash, punch in stomach feeling, short of breath) , antihistamine ( short of breath, racing heart, want to pass out, waves of dizziness) , Zithromax (mild rash, dizziness, short of breath, heart race) , Penicillin (anaphylaxis).
  13. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have naturally very curly hair, it got curlier when going thru puberty. It's really thick and I keep it short...but, after I had my first child, it fell out like crazy and became straight and lifeless. Had to have been from the hormones. It did eventually get curly again, but it's drier and frizzier now that I'm in Menopause. I look like a poodle if I don't blow dry it out.
  14. Abdulrahman

Abdulrahman Member

Hi,

Could be that you are taking MSM or another high sulfur supplement. This mineral in MSM form accelerates Keratin growth so hair gets thicker making it tend to curl. Relax, its a sign of better health;). On a hair health website:

MSM and Keratin
    • MSM enhances keratin, the major component of hair fibers, and is responsible for strong hair. It makes the hair shaft flexible and prevents breakage. Keratin is also responsible for shinier hair.
    MSM and Collagen

• MSM is necessary for collagen production. Collagen strengthens and increases the diameter of hair, resulting in thicker and stronger hair. Increasing collagen production alone enables hair growth to increase up to 36 percent.

Abdulrahman
  15. adamfr

adamfr Member

I thought mine was going a little wavy too