Why is my whole lower ribcage so sore???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~

I've gotten this symptom a few times before but this time its the worse. My whole bottom ribcage aches like the dickens!!!
    feels kinda bruised,tender,sore.
    it does extend around to the backside. (both front & back)
    any movement I make,...makes me aware of its soreness.
    Even to lay/sleep on my side hurts and I can't stand it.
    I have to move/ try and sleep on my back.

Is this that costochondritis (sp?) I hear spoken of here?
    ya think?

If thats what it is,.. what do they do for that?( drs) anything ? or just nothing & let us suffer like most other stuff that comes with having Fibro.

does anything you've learned help this?
    I apreciate any help,
  2. star273

star273 New Member

HI, I have that same thing. I posted today about all the tests I had done in the last 2 weeks. They did everything and turned out to be FM. I dont know what works. I have tried rubbing pain releiver on it. Sometimes that helps. Other then that, the heating pad. I know what you mean about it being tender. It hurts so bad. I thought for sure that something was really wrong with me.... again, nothing. Same ole thing. FM. I hate this stuff. I get so annoyed spending money at the Dr. and for tests when everything comes out good. Dont get me wrong, I am happy and feel blessed that its nothing, but it gets depressing when everything is fine and then you feel so bad. I hope it helps, knowing there is someone else out there with the same feeling.... :)
  3. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Costro chondritis.. Think that is how it is spelled.
    I get that from time to time..
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I get that alot--actually have had it on and off for years since my twin pregnancy, way before my diagnosis of FM. In the past two years or so, it has become worse. Believe it or not, I hav gotten alot of relief from this by rubbing the area with Vicks Vapor Rub. Alot of fibro sufferers have gotten relief with this stuff--even for muscular pain. Guve it a try!!

5. jmq

jmq New Member

sounds like costochondritis to me. I have had it for about 2 years. My chiropractor dx it. The only thing you can do when it flares up is rest, rub it with ice...yes it KILLS you when you are doing it but it helps. Slow gentle upper body stretching helps too.

What really stinks is it can last for 1 week to 6 months for me.

Ice tip: I take a small paper cup and fill it with water to freeze it. Then when its frozen, I tear off the top of the cup and it works great to rub on the tender area. You will SCREAM in pain but over time, it will ease the pain.

good luck
  6. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have that too and have had it off and on for well over 10 yrs and no doctor could figure out what was wrong.

When I received my diagnosis of FM and was looking at the symptoms then I realized what that chest pain I'd been having was and it had a name.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  7. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

I just had a CTscan with and without die and it showed nothing is wrong. My GI dr said unfortunately it is just part of the chronic pain of FM, YAY!!!! Like I wanted to hear that. I broke my ribs over a year ago on my left side but years back before that I had a horse rear up and fall over backwards and the saddle horn hit me in my left side. It has been bothering me since then but is worse after I broke the ribs. I can't even sleep on my left side anymore, which stinks cause I can't sleep on my back or stomach anymore and I have to move around at night. When I roll to my left side in my sleep the pain wakes me up.

My mom has it on her right side and they even did exploratory surgery and found no reason for it.

8. tandy

tandy New Member

I will try the vicks vapor rub.
    I always have that stuff on hand~

the ice too if I can stand it.
    other than that I guess its just another thing added to my Fibro list that I have to learn to live with.

no biggy. whats ONE more thing?
    gotta keep laughing,when even on the inside your smiling.

thanks again for your input,
  9. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Yes, it is the bain of my existence during the summer. I don't know why but it only seems to flare once the weather turns nice. I can't wear a bra and I take a muscle relaxer or half of one anyway and that gets rid of the pain. P
  10. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I have had this exact same thing for about the last month now and previous but this time much worse just like you describe.

I found stretching helped a little by reaching with my hands above my head reaching my hands towards the ceiling.

I also found the only other way to get any relief was to lie flat on my back in bed with a heating pad on me and just rest. Mine's calmed down a bit now but was very bad recently.

Also as hard as it is - try your best to maintain an upright posture with your head on your shoulders rather than forward especially when at a desk as I find its much worse for me if I slouch. Pilates also helps a lot with this - I've been too ill to do that for a few yrs but it's something that if you can cope with works well under the right instruction as it strengthens your core muscles and holds you up better if that makes sense.

Hope it eases soon x
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

I do think my posture is sometimes bad.
    I'll catch myself hunching while sitting.
    so I'll straighten myself up a bit~
    yea,.. I USE to have a solid/strong core.
    not no more!! but thats something I'm working on :)
    Thanks again