Why is there no such thing as "Customer Service" anymore?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, Feb 5, 2008.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

You know, I am getting very tired and disgusted anymore with the way things are today. I am honest & hard-working. I do my best to pay my bills on time (and then I get harrassed if they are just one day late!) and am trying just to raise my family with 2 average incomes.

I am sick and tired of needing to call places about some issue, and getting a recording where I have to sit there like an idiot and talk to a computer, who has the nerve to tell me she doesn't understand me! Then I must sit and press buttons over & over, and if I hit the wrong button, I must start over!

Oh, and what happened to "stay on the line for assistance if you have an old-fashioned rotary dial phone, and you can't push any buttons!" I used that one all the time, and it is gone! What happened to just hitting "0"? That doesn't work either - they just tell you it is an invalid choice. Where did all the customer service go? Now I must hear, "please visit our website for faster, easier service"! Then they go on to say the website, and will start with www.blah, blah.com. Well, I don't WANT to visit your stupid website, that is why I am on the PHONE!

Then after holding for 1/2 hr listening to horrid elevator music (I could be doing so many other productive things) I finally get a HUMAN who tells me I have the wrong dept and they must transfer me! Then I just get CUT OFF and must start over!!

And why must I enter my credit card or phone #, only to have the HUMAN ask for the same # again when they answer the phone? Then they ask for address, birthday, SS#, mother's maiden name, everything short of handing over my 1st born!

It seems that no matter what issue I have, they NEVER side with me - they are always right, and continue to steal my hard-earned money. They charge insanely large late fees (what makes them think I can afford the late fees if I cannot afford the payment?) even though the payment wasn't late. Don't they understand I can't even afford to pay for gas with cash? Before long, I will need to decide between putting gas in the car or buying groceries!

I guess I am venting because I have had a lot of issues lately with this, and I am tired of it! It seems no one wants to help you - what happened to THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT? And when I threaten to cancel whatever it is, they just say, ok - I will put that in the system! There is no "oh, please stay, you are such a valued customer who always pays on time, and we don't want to lose you! What can we do to remedy this situation?" What happened to that?

I get so upset about all of this, I just bow down and take it. Yelling at them does nothing; supervisors do nothing; crying does nothing......they don't care; nobody does. It is sad, because there is not much you can do, it seems. But really, what is going on????

Thanks for letting me vent - it helps once in awhile.
  2. Doober

Doober New Member

are not alone in this feeling. Recently i had to call a national department store, won't say the name but it does start with "S" and ends with "S".

Anyways, I had purchased new appliances with them. They delivered the first one and we had an issue with the second one. Well my wife went to the store and made the exchange for a new one.

Well they cam to deliver the new item and it was the same thing that we already had delivered before. Well, I had to call and question this and got the run around of their internal billing and credit policies.

I had gotten cut off in the middle of the call and had to call back, I got a different person who I had to explain the whole story over again. This person tried to transfer me and I got cut off again.

I had to call back 6 times. Each time I got a different person and I had to start ALL OVER again with each person. They wouldn't allow internal transfer to the last person you were dealing with. Finally I snapped and told the last person that if I get cut off again and have to explain myself one more time, I am going to snap.

The store said because of whatever they had to do, it would be a week or more to get the correct appliance. This was on a Friday. Well, I get pretty nasty when service is poor like this. Needless to say, I had my appliance delivered on that Sunday.

If there is an issue and my gets nowhere, she turns it over to me and the problem is solved. See, if I made the mistake, fine I will live with it. But when they make a huge mistake and expect me to wait a long time until they fix whatever they need to, I do not accept this.

It is a shame what service is these days. I mean, I don't expect a Chocolate mint on my pillow every night, but geez they wonder why "Same store" sales go down??????

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm relieved to know it isn't just me.

I spend an inordinate amount of precious energy trying to clear up the screw ups of the Big Guys: telephone, cable, DSL and other large companies, the latest of which two-word name begins with an H and ends with a T. I am always polite but I've still found that when they don't want to deal with an issue, they hang up. "Oops. Sooooooo sorry about that".

Right. I think companies get what they pay for.

"Your call is very important to us."

Right. Then why am I forced to communicate with a machine??

Isn't it interesting that most of the problems are with our communications services and customer service???

There. I feel better. And it reminds me that I have another call to make.....

4. laceymae

laceymae New Member

but it is nice when they have to admit they screwed up. I'm sorry, but I really take delight when they have to admit it's their fault.

I think the dumbest customer service call was for my son.
    Right after his divorce I started getting calls from collection agencies for his bills.

One call says...This is am important call for...if you are this person press 1, if this person can come to phone within 1 minute press 2, if you are not this person stop listening now....now I'm not real smart, but if somebody tells me not to listen on my phone, what do they think I am going to do?

thanks for the vent...
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Don't ever buy Pegasus plumbing hardware from Home Depot. It's their store brand but they have nothing in place to service their products. Calling the factory gets you a recording that, after pushing a lot of buttons eventually tells you that "our lines are especially busy today so please call back another time and day." They seem to have this recording on M - Sat. Closed on Sunday.

The clerk I called at the store told me that, if it had been a well-known brand, I would have gotten a call back the same day. That helps me not.

I didn't select this kitchen faucet, the guy who remodeled my kitchen showed me a picture of it and said it was the one they (my former boss's company) used. I trusted them and OKed it. It leaks and drips and my former boss is no longer in business.

Unfortunately, he didn't leave any literature on it so I have no serial number for replacement. I tried to put a picture of it in my profile but it didn't "take". I was hoping someone would have one like it and have the serial number.

Marta, who is probably buying a new faucet one drip at a time

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2008]
  6. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

AND what about the automated voice that asks you questions like "for service say service" "for billing questions say billing" then you have to say "service" and it says "service, is that right?" in this oh-so-chipper voice...like chipper is going to make me enjoy repeating all this crap to a human later!

Oh...sorry for the rant but SHEEEZE!

7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I had to laugh at some of your descriptions simply because you describe exactly what I experience here in the UK.

It is hard when my arm goes numb and my shoulder pain flares from holding the phone so long while you are trying to get through to a human - who as you said usually is the wrong human or clueless anyway.

I thought this was just the case in the UK - seems like we all have to deal with this crap nowadays.

So-called technology has made our lives more difficult.

DH said I made too much fuss aabout this til he had to talk to our service provider - dozens of calls, holding on the phone for up to half an hour, no real help - NOW he understands...LOL.

I try to save calls where I know this is going to happen for better daays and even then it is a struggle.

Love Bunchy x

8. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you everyone for replying to my RANT!! It gets sooo frustrating dealing with this crap. It gets to the point where I would rather just not make these phone calls and deal with the problem!

That said, I must make a note about Checks Unlimited - this is the company I purchase my checks from. I had to call them yesterday. And although I still had to push some buttons, I was off the phone within 5 minutes. I got to a human being right away - no long waiting with icky music droning in my ears. The person I talked to was polite and spoke in clear, perfect English that I understood. She did try to push a few things on me, but let it go when I said no thanks. My order was complete and my checks are on the way - all within 5 minutes. Can you beat that?

I just wanted to share a NICE customer service experience - it was refreshing, for a change.
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Both L.L. Bean and Lands' End are terrific. You never wait and you always talk to a real person immediately. They're always polite and helpful. The customer is always right. I order from them just to have a stress free experience.

No word on the faucet yet.

10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Its called "customer no service". I try to make a habit of taking names and reporting offenders as much as possible.

Sometimes the only way a business owner, or the management knows the problem is if you complain. I own a business and would consider it a favor for someone to let me know if there is a problem.

Every time I am asked to give feedback on customer service I do it.

[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2008]