Why is there so much discord on this board?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Duffsangel, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

It seems like every time I visit, there is some new argument, discussion or whatever you want to call it, going on. I thought this was a place to get support. I guess I was wrong. I will find another board where the members care about each other.
    Goodbye,
    Duff
  2. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

It seems like every time I visit, there is some new argument, discussion or whatever you want to call it, going on. I thought this was a place to get support. I guess I was wrong. I will find another board where the members care about each other.
    Goodbye,
    Duff
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

about 1% of all the messages are differences in opinion, that is only normal in life.

There is so much support here, I have gotten sideways with a few people before and it always works out. We do not have to all agree, we do not need to try to convince others, you need to let it go. It is not malicious and it is healthy to explore & see the other side presented.

I don't look at it as negative, no one is trying to hurt anyone.

Jaci
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

im sorry if theres something that bothers you but dont leave theres more help here then any disagreements
    agin im totally lost when its comes to disagreements i never seem to notice them,i guess being blond has its advantages !
    please stay
    kara
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

I am sorry that you feel like this, because although I only joined this board a little while ago, I find it the best for support and also for very healthy discussions. With so many different people one has to have an open mind. There are lots of nice people on the board, I have met some of them and was amazed. Sure, it is an experience for everybody to belong to such a board, but with everything else in life, there are good and bad apples. So, give it a good chance and take care. Lucky
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

Those two words are very subjective. Lively discussion can be exhilerating, educational and definately provocative. The same post might be funny to one and nasty to another. Please don't be too harsh in your judgements. We are all fallable and impaired. If you find some threads to be full of discord and that is distressing just skip over them. Personally my isolated life has gotten so small that even the discord is good.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What discord? I see some healthy discussions, difference of opinion but no discord today.

You may find another board, but I doubt if you find one that the members care more about one another than right here!

Most of us consider this board 'family', and all families have disagreements, but that does not mean they don't care for one another.

If you are unhappy here, I am sorry to hear that. I do wish you well where ever you decide to go.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

Shirl just took the words out of my mouth (fingers?). I have been posting here for about 11 months and it is one of the most supportive places I know. I have made some true friends here, learned more than most people with these illnesses, and felt such terrific support when I've been down.

Are things always 100% happy? No, but that's the way life works. To me the things I get from this board far outweigh any negative aspects.

In the past few months some changes have been made and as far as I am concerned they have only improved the board. Thanks Mikie and Shirl for keeping this such a welcoming place.

Barbara
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think a lot of what I've learned here (and I feel like I've learned a TON of stuff about this DD and how to survive with it here) has come from the healthy discussions we've had about all kinds of topics---and frequently we express a whole variety of opinions! But I don't think I'd have learned half as much without both sides of an issue being expressed.

That said, it's always better when we can weigh in with our different points of view without it getting "personal". And I think 99% of the time, that's how it's done....how many times have I seen the phrase "that's just my personal experience..." written after someone's posting?? Because we generally all acknowledge that our way isn't the ONLY way...we've all had a different journey with this DD.

And if occasionally things get a bit "hotter" than normal, usually it's because someone's having an agonizingly frustrating or severely painful day and maybe speaks in haste.....and how many of us wouldn't understand how those days can be???

No, I wouldn't trade the support & friendship & yes--lively, maybe even heated, discussions, this board has offered me....it's the best resource I've found....and I agree, we owe our faithful moderators a debt of gratitude, too!

Hope you reconsider, Duff, but you, too, are entitled to your opinion & to find a spot that suits you....

Hugs,
    Pam

10. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Well, I am Brand new to the site (maybe a week) but I haven't noticed anything but an awesome time being together listening to others points of veiw and being able to share my own thoughts without feeling like I will be critisized for anything! I have never been a support group type person, but I have to say, for the first time in years I feel like I am home... Even families don't always agree!!

I hope you will give it another chance!

Susan
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and you are perfectly right to go off on your own if you feel uncomfortable with the sisterly/brotherly banter, but I assure you that we aren't fighting, just agreeing to disagree at times, which is healthy. We wouldn't learn a thing if everybody had the same opinion, would we??? This IS the best site I have found, but if you find one better suited to you, by all means, go for it, but stop in and say hello now and then because we'll miss you. I even call my yukky old brother now and then just to let him know I still disagree with everything he stands for !!! lol
    Kady
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As long as we respect one another, discussion often exposes completely new perspectives and points of view in a healthy environment. We can all agree to disagree after listening to and considering opinions which differ from our own.

Our members are some of the finest, most caring people you will find anywhere. That is what makes this board so special. We go out of our way to help someone or offer info when someone asks.

I am certainly not shy about posting my opinion on certain subjects about which I feel strongly. Everyone knows that about me, but everyone also knows that it is just my opinion and I welcome other points of view. I will engage lively debate, but I will respect our members' points of view all the time.

I hope you decide to stay with us. I don't think you will find a better group of people.

Love, Mikie
  13. herekitty

herekitty New Member

Given that most of us are female, and all of us are dealing with a long-term illness, I think we are a remarkably well-behaved, supportive group!
    Kitty =^..^=
  14. PMangels

PMangels New Member

you said it well...I love you both. You do such a good job of being upfront.

In classrooms, workplaces, etc. there are discussions where people agree and disagree. I don't always agree with everyone's opinion but I respect it. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. It's part of life.

Sofy said it well, "If you find some threads to be full of discord and that it is distressing just skip over it."

I love this board. I have met some wonderful people and I count them as family. I find people very loving, caring and supportive. I love them for it.

Respectfully,
    Arlene

15. fibolady

fibolady New Member

warmest regards, fibolady
  16. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I see alot of discussion and opinions, but no discord.

Marilyn :)