Why Low Body Temperature?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 1, 2007.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

By temperature never gets over 97, most of the time its between 95 to 96..I have had my thyroid checked many times even had the thyroid antibodies test all normal..

Is the low temperature a part of CFS or could there be other causes?

2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I do have thyroid problems now, but even years ago I always had a low temperature. I also have low blood pressure and a slow heart rate. I've been diagnosed with FM but my Dr thinks I probably have CFS as well.

Mine temp pretty much stays between 95 and 96. If it's normal (98.6) then I'm sick!

I'd love to hear an explanation for it.

3. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

my temp has always been low. It must be a fibro thing.
  4. Aelf

Aelf New Member

Temp is never above 97. Seems to be part of CFS too
  5. appleaday

appleaday New Member

It's my personal opinion, based on my reading and my own experience, that low body temperatures contribute to our pain and fatigue because the enzymes in our bodies function most efficiently in "normal" ranges. These lower temperatures aren't normal for us and we don't feel well with them.

Low thyroid and low estrogen are two things that can contribute to low body temperature (I'm sure there are others as well). Thyroid replacement alone didn't raise my temperature, but the combination of thyroid replacement and estrogen replacement seems to be helping. My temperature, which used to fluctuate wildly, has become more steady and is over 98 much more often. It still fluctuates and drops at times, but the improvement is encouraging to me.

One of my big goals is to get my temperature normal -- I think that will indicate that my body is working right again.
  6. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

when my temp is 98-99 no one beleives I am sick because of normal being 98 mine is usually 96-97.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2007]
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Mine runs a few degrees higher all of the time. I am on thyroid meds to keep a goiter from growing. I used to be freezing all of the time and my thyroid tests all came back alright and finally and old primary dr. of mine thought that I should have an ultra-sound on my thyroid just for kicks and giggles and sure enough if there wasn't a multi-nodular goiter! I had all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism but blood tests kept coming back okay so you just never know. Now my temp is higher but my fibro has been worst then ever this winter.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I have the same problem. I was on Synthroid and stopped it because it made my heart race.

I do not worry about it. My normal temp is 97.

9. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

the hypothalumus and the pituitary.

The hypothalumus is the true thermostat of the body (Jacob Teitelbaum M.D.), it releases a hormone called TRH which tells the pituitary to release TSH "Thyroid Stimulating Hormone" and the thyroid releases T4 + T3.

The toxic metal cadmium, inteferes with the thyroid T4->T3 conversion.

Since I've been chelating, my mean basal body temp has rose from 95.4°F up to 97.2°F. I feel warmer.

My doctor tells me that our body's enzymes work the best at...you guessed it 98.6°F.
  10. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

temp is usually 97.2 and has been since childhood. I too feel sick when it gets higher than 98.6. Both of my children also run in the low 97's.

Not sure if mine is connected to my FM/CFS since 97.2 before onset of FM/CFS was diagnosed.

11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you so much for your replies..It helps so much to know there are you that understand..

I am trying to do some reading on this..My doc just seems to push it aside as well as most concerns I have.

Still having trouble with the oxygen, my doc insist I use it and when I do I can't tell it helps plus it really effects my sinuses..

This is off my topic but there is a doctor in the area that insist all his pts. have a sleep study and if they have sleep apnea they go on a c-pap machine and if not he puts them on oxygen and the pts. seem to have sucess with oxygen treatment, so he says.

Guess all this ties together.. We are compicated, and each are so different..

God Bless,
  12. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

Very interesting info there. I have read this before and have come across it in my research plenty of times. I have yet to read Andy Cutler's book, but I intend to.

13. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

14. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

The Dr I am currently seeing ( uc Davis Ca) is doing a lot of reseaech on EBV and FMS, and he has explained it to me as such:

when we have EBV or FMS our bodies have gone into a hibernation stage. yes just like the bears. hents the low temps and cold hands and cold bodies, the aches and pains. our T3 and T4 are off allowing us to slow down and want to sleep all the time.

He also stated that our bodies have been overwhelmed with verious virus's and if we can isolate and treat those and raise the thyroid then you will see an improvement on quality of life and 85% of his patients have gotten better and/or have had no further flair ups.

I'm just starting his treatments (1 month) I have seen/talked to other patients and Dr's and they say what he does works. I'll let ya know as soon as I come out of hibernation.

future is yet to be seen?
  15. smeyers

smeyers New Member

my body temperature is usually around 97.8. My doctor never says a word about it. I do have a thyroid deficiency which I've had since birth, but I don't think my temperature has been low for all this time, so I think it has more to do with the Fibro.

I also poor circulation (my hands and feet get ice cold!)which can be very uncomfortable and painful, but I think that may be hereditary.

But the bright side is, I don't get all that hot in the summer!

16. wld285

wld285 New Member

Low body temp is most usually from your thyroid, even if the basic thyroid testing comes out o.k. I have currently started on T3, I was almost killed 6 yrs. ago with synthroid.

Go to Wilsontemperaturesyndrome.com and you could learn alot about what I'm talking about. I go to FFC and they use the same stategy. Actually, they found I had faulty T4 to T3 conversion. My reverse T3 was high, which is not good.

If your thyroid was properly taken care of, you would feel better(that's what they tell me anyway). Mine is a slow process because I get a high heartrate. There is a supplement on Dr. Wilson website for this, which I am going to order and try it.

Hope I've been some help, would love to help with anything I could.

17. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

As always I am learning something here.I too run cold--Lol
    I mean 97ish.But as a child my norm was always 99.
    The past 7 years or so I run 97 and know Im ill when it is 99.
    I had a tumour removed from my thyroid 12 years ago and they claim it is fine now but I see the connection with the low temp and the thyroid.
  18. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

You might be interested to know that one of the first benefits people are reporting from the methylation cycle block treatment is that their body temperatures are returning to normal.

You can read about this on the thread entitled methylation cycle block treatment basic to advanced.

19. joanng

joanng New Member

"when my temp is 98-99 no one beleives I am sick because of normal being 98 mine is usually 96-97." Exactly. I was feeling really lousy one day and went to the nurse at work. She took my temp, and it was 99, I told her for me that's a low grade fever and explains why I felt bad. She argued with me and said no, that 99 was still within a normal range. I explained that my temp is 'normally' low and this was high for me. She looked at me like I was making this up! I felt so stupid and embarrassed that I just stopped talking..asked for some motrin and left. She knows I have fibro too but apparently isn't too knowledgeable about it.
  20. CTuit

CTuit New Member

Mine has always been at least a degree low as long as I can remember but a couple of times this spring it dropped down to 96.4