Why me??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MicheleF, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Yesterday at work I was having myself quite the pity party. As many of you know, I really try to have a positive attitude & practice positive self-talk, etc.

However, I was really tired and frustrated and the thought crossed my mind...Why me?

An hour later I found out why. One of my former students was recently hospitalized with depression and was dx'd w/ fms. Her mother refuses to believe it, and as she has controlled this child/woman all her life, the daughter is not going to see a doctor for treatment. She is going to call me soon. If I had not suffered from depression and then fms, I would never be able to help this person who has no one else to turn to.

It reminded me of the post by the woman (so sorry, can't remember who) who is now able to help her mother b/c she got fms herself.

How many people will we end up being able to help because of what we are going through? The next time I ask myself why me, I will be comforted by the thought that at least I can offer help to someone else.

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all. Michele
  2. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Yesterday at work I was having myself quite the pity party. As many of you know, I really try to have a positive attitude & practice positive self-talk, etc.

However, I was really tired and frustrated and the thought crossed my mind...Why me?

An hour later I found out why. One of my former students was recently hospitalized with depression and was dx'd w/ fms. Her mother refuses to believe it, and as she has controlled this child/woman all her life, the daughter is not going to see a doctor for treatment. She is going to call me soon. If I had not suffered from depression and then fms, I would never be able to help this person who has no one else to turn to.

It reminded me of the post by the woman (so sorry, can't remember who) who is now able to help her mother b/c she got fms herself.

How many people will we end up being able to help because of what we are going through? The next time I ask myself why me, I will be comforted by the thought that at least I can offer help to someone else.

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all. Michele
  3. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Great outlook!!!!
    I think the same as you, I have had fibro/mps for going on 13 years and yes I have gone through the trenches, but I love it when I can help those that are new to the disease
    and hopefully they wont do what or what I did not do that that got me to where I am today.
    As they say learn by exsperience, god has a purpose for us all , maybe he gave this to us so we can help those that cant help themselves, we are strong people because we are here and after years of dealing with this and going to the doctor and educating them doctors, we will help it make it easier for the next person coming along!!
    so let me say thank you for all the ones that wont have a chance to do so.
    your friend,
    Denise
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

You are an inspiration. After reading your story, and hearing your wonderful outlook on life, I am truly amazed at how strong you are. I'm sure many have & will continue to benefit from your wonderfully positive attitude.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Best of the best wishes for you. Michele
  5. kitkat623

kitkat623 New Member

This year for the very first time I have a child with FMS in my class. The child's mom came clutching a armful of information and was clearly afraid that I would not believe anything except that she was an overly concerned parent. She was greatly relieved to discover that I was all too familiar with fibro, and that I would be very aware of her child's needs. Things sometimes happen for a reason! I've often wondered how many children get labeled as being lazy or slow learners who may suffer from this D.D! Hugs to a fellow teacher, Kathy
  6. G

G New Member

As you have shared with us, for the blessing of helping another person who needs our support and positive thoughts along with letting them know you care and that he or she is not alone.

Thanks for sharing and it's great and wonderful that you are there for your friends.

G

7. PMangels

PMangels New Member

What a wonderful attitude you have. It is only by going through the experiences ourselves that we can truly reach out to someone else and understand what they are going through. You are such an inspiration to the rest of us. You keep the rest of us going.

God Bless you and Hugs

Arlene
  8. Rene

Rene New Member

I said why me too for the first yr being totally bedridden. But then it turned into why not me. Whats so special about me that I couldn't get a disease like this. I'm sure third world countries say the same thing and I wouldn't want to trade them for nothing. Having to watch people dieing from starvation ect. And there is a lot worse.

All in all I guess I'm blessed cause he who is thankful for little has much.
    Rene
  9. seaview

seaview New Member

but I think we all have to come to a place of acceptance and appreciate our lives even though we do have the constant pain and limitations. I always think of it as the road less traveled. So many have walked before us and have had to endure many different kinds of suffering albeit physical,mental,racial,and so on.The strength to be drawn from them is what makes the difference in our own lives.We walk a road that does bear a path sown in tears and nourished in the joys of the lives of many others. May we also leave our footprints so that others can follow and not feel alone.
    For years I watched my mother suffer and did not understand but then as my own symptoms began to emerge I tried to deny them and grit my teeth and toughen up. When I finally came apart at the seams and I found out why she had been suffering and began my journey for information thus helping her to understand her own body and limitations I came to a place of acceptance.No, I wish I knew what it felt like not to hurt(I can not remember)but I do know what a blessed woman I am and that laughter is healing.I thank God for others who are also seeing some good come out of what they go through. Blessings to you and of course a very gentle hug.....Kathleen
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are a wonder! I have read so many of your posts, and they are always informative, helpful and compassionate.

This is so great that this young lady will have you to help her, even doctors can't help as much as someone who has been there, done that, etc.

You will be a wonderful support and help to this girl.

It is sad when a Mother refuses to believe you are ill, and FM/CFS is bad enough, but from what I hear, depression is nothing to set aside without getting medical help for.

This young ladys very life may depend on what you can do for her. I know you will do a great job, and hopefully will be able to convince her MOther to seek medical help for her too.

You take care, and know that none of our good deeds ever go unrewarded.

Shalom, Shirl
  11. Tennessee

Tennessee New Member

i need your postivitity!!i roll in pity at least once a day,would'nt know how to act else wise!=)Your right tho,maybe somewhere down the line there's a reason for all of us,i just hate that anyone should suffer as we do sometimes=),wanted to let u know u gave me a much needed laugh this mornin=).i am from tennessee,lived there my whole life till march of this month.my husband is english so i moved here to be with him.i miss home and my family but he has a 5 year old daughter here so it werent a hard decision.take care friend=).
  12. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I thank you for your uplifting and kind words. I am so thankful I found this site--all of you are so wonderful.
    Thank you all for your support & your positive attitudes--you never know when one of us is going to wake up having a bad day--great to know that so many are there to help when that happens.

I was hoping with this post to see some positive input about others like me who put a positive "spin" on these DDs. You all surpassed my expectations.

Research has shown that it takes 11 positive people to counteract 1 negative person. I use this example the first day in all my classes, it hits home esp. for some of my smaller classes: I tell them this & if there's only 10 in the class, I teasingly warn them that they're in big trouble if 1 is negative! That is obviously not a problem on this site!

Warmest wishes for a joyful day, free from pain as much as possible. Michele

PS Yes, Seaview, I was talking about you! Your misfortune is truly your mom's gain. If you had just sat back & given up & not researched, where would both of you be? (Again, best wishes to you & your mom)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2002]
  13. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

A friend once said to me, when I was really sick with a flare, and depressed. That possibly you have Fibro, becauce you are strong enough to bear it all. It has made me stonger,more compassionate. More open. Alot of good things.