Why Nausea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Having CFS and Fibro tends to make me nauseous a lot. Don't know why. Had an endoscopy just last May (2011) and everything is normal. Is nausea part of the syndrome with many of you? I don't take pain pills or abx so meds are not the answer. I do have allergies with post nasal drip but I'm not seeing a pattern with those episodes and nausea.

Any ideas?
  2. clementyne

clementyne New Member

Are you taking meds that could you to be nauseated? I know my pain meds made me sick when I 1st started taking them & other drugs can have that side effect.
    Sorry not to be of more help. Hope you figure it out.

3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Well, I went over to the ER so they could run some tests. I feel it takes forever when I ask my doctor to do anything.

Had an abdominal x-ray and ultrasound of pancreas and liver (gallbladder out). Everything was OK including bloodwork.

I do have some IBS and usually it is OK, but acts up now and again. Ever since I took a Z-pack around New Years, my bowels have not been the same. Been tested for c-diff and other tests - all OK. So, my gastro put me on some Bentyl to calm down the GI tract. Hopefully it will help - and I need to de-stress as well.

I do take refrigerated probiotics, but looking for a better and stronger one. And I eat bland - just seems like the nausea will wax and wane. Sometimes I feel like the skin and muscles across my waistline hurt - I don't dare "pinch an inch". So I guess having FM does irritate the gut and we feel it more than other people would.

Haven't tried digestive enzymes. I'm on a PPI - prilosec for acid reflux and chronic gastritis. Maybe I need the extra help. Maybe I don't digest the food properly. Wonder if you can take the enzymes if you are on a stomach acid med? Sometimes I chew Papaya enzyme, but that is the only one.

And spraying my nose with saline to cut down the nasal drip. Changes of weather do a number on my nose and sinus.

Thanks all!
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Tania - nausea is one of the possible side effects of prilosec. Just google it.

Many people diagnosed with acid reflux and gastritis actually have low stomach acid, not too much. I had a lot of trouble with digestion until I started taking hydrochloric acid before my meals. Low stomach acid is extremely common with CFS.

I believe there are tests your doctor can do which can test for low stomach acid. A simple one to do at home, posted by Rich Van K, is by doing the following on an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning: drink a glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda. Time how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped within two minutes, you have low stomach acid.

Rich goes on to say that a short-term fix for this is to take betaine-HCl with meals, raising the dosage one pill at a time with successive meals, until you experience a warm feeling in your stomach. Then back off one pill and use that dosage with each meal.

Another short-term fix is to drink some lemon juice with meals. If you do this, use a straw and flush your teeth afterward, to avoid damaging the enamel on your teeth with the citric acid, which is a chelator for calcium.

So digestive enzymes can help but they weren't enough for me - I had to add in HCL, and my digestion is very good now.

Best wishes,

5. znewby

znewby Member

Besides considering drugs as a cause, a person who has cfs and nausea should consider they may have lyme disease.
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Many times I have heard about Lyme on this panel and other places, however, I live in south Florida where deer ticks and other species are not prevalent. The only ticks we have here are regular dog ticks and yes, my dog got some at the time (see below). Can they carry the same Lyme disease?

Years ago, I had a bulls eye rash on my abdomen. I didn't feel sick though. I begged my doctor to run a Lyme panel (twice in fact) and they said it was negative. The rash was biopsied and came back as an inflammatory skin disorder. It was injected with some cortisone and it cleared up.

The doctors think I'm crazy when I suspected Lyme in this area.
  7. znewby

znewby Member

google lyme in florida and you will see there is a problem.

CFS patient advocate in his last post talks about the best tests

I hate to see people lose 20 years of their life thinking they have cfs when they had lyme all along. It happens so frequently. People think they have fibro or cfs or rheumatoid arthritis when they do not.

Lyme is called the new great pretender seeming to be so many diseases.

Lyme can infect the myelin of the vagus nerve causing the stomach to spasm or churn, causing nausea or eventually vomiting.

Birds, rodents, dogs and cats can carry ticks. There is one type of co-infection called garinii that causes bad back and neck pain. It may even cause nail bed problems in some people.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2012]