Why not enough medicine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GinnyB, Sep 2, 2005.

1. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

Why can't my doctor prescribe enough medicine to do the job? Ambien stopped doing the job (seems all meds do after awhile) and my GP prescribed Lunesta--3 mg tablets, 1 at bedtime. The first night I took one at 10 p.m., fell asleep at 4 a.m., dozed off and on til 11 a.m., and spent the rest of the day feeling like h---. It had been a week since I'd slept for more than an hour at a time. The second night I was desperate enough to take 2 Lunesta's at 10 p.m. I went to bed at 11, slept soundly til 8 the next morning, and woke up feeling rested, cheerful. I called the doctor and asked if it was ok to continue taking 2 pills, and he said no, the FDA would only allow him to prescribe one. So here it is, twenty of one (a.m.), I've had one Lunesta at 10 p.m., and I'm wide awake. Is the doctor being overly cautious, or what?

GinnyB
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time sleeping.
    I take lunesta too ... 2mgs. It is plenty for me, ... I
    thought I'd ask my doctor if he had any samples of 1mg
    available. Don't want to change my rx ... just want to
    see how 1mg feels.

Have you put lunesta in the search box? I know it has
    been discussed quite a bit here. It seems to me there is
    a 4mg strength tab.. You know 1,2,3 & 4mgs. I could be
    wrong....fibro fog and all.

If there is a 4mg maybe he can switch you. He is right
    about not being able to double your script ... Lunesta is
    newly approved and FDA would surly be suspect if a doc was
    having at it with his own guidelines.

Have you had a sleep study? If you had, then maybe you
    could try xyrem.

I hope you get it worked out soon. Not sleeping makes
    us feel sooo much worse.

Elsa
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I suspect that doctors are so afraid we might get the "high" that sometimes comes with these drugs that they don't give us enough to do much good. I've tried to tell my doctor that it just doesn't happen that way, but nonetheless that's the way it is.

My mom is almost 80 years old, and in tremendous pain from a freak side effect that happened 7 years ago from surgery, and my dad has to beg for enough pain meds for her. Of course, the excuse is that they don't want her to become addicted, but my goodness, she's <b> almost 80 years old and wheelchair bound. </b> Who cares if she becomes addicted!!!

abbylee
  4. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

Thanks for your reply, Abbylee. Heaven forbid that any of us ever feel high. We actually might stop paying the docs. What do they think your Mom's going to do, rob a bank for drug money and get away in her wheelchair? I'm sorry she has so much pain. Your Dad sounds like quite a guy. Ginny
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

And as far as my mom robbing a bank, she's in a wheelchair and wouldn't get too far, I suspect!!

She's been suffering for 7 years now, and for the life of me I can't understand why. There are people who take massive amounts of medication, and my mom can't seem to get enough.

For instance, I take 80 mgs of Methadone a day. Her doc will give her only 40 mgs of Methadone a day. I have Oxycodone 30 for breakthrough pain. She has Oxycodone 5. I just don't get it.

abbylee
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Have you had a sleep study? Many fms patients have alpha (wave) intrusion.

Xyrem is the medication used for this sleep disorder. After just 6 weeks on Xyrem, my pain decreased by at least half, I have more mobility, and I don't fall asleep during the day anymore.

Xyrem has it's own website where you can read about it. It's really helped me tremendously.

Here is some information about sleep:

Alpha intrusion happens in delta sleep. Delta sleep is stage 4 sleep (deep restorative sleep). Many Fibromyalgia patients have an associated sleep disorder which prevents them from getting deep, restful, restorative sleep.

Medical researchers have documented specific and distinctive abnormalities in the stage 4 deep sleep of FM patients. During sleep, individuals with FM are constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity, limiting the amount of time they spend in deep sleep.

Below is information about the various sleep stages:

Research has identified five distinct stages of sleep. During the course of an eight hour sleep period, a person should cycle through the various sleep stages every 90 minutes or so.

Stage 1 sleep is a transition period between wakefulness and sleep. Sometimes you may have a sudden dream onset. You may still be connected to the awakened world and could easily be aroused into wakefulness.

From Stage 1, you will descend into Stage 2 where your breathing and heart rate will begin to slow down. During the continuous sleep cycles throughout the night, you should spend almost half your sleep time in Stage 2.

Next comes Stage 3 and 4, which are somewhat similar. This is sometimes referred to as Delta Sleep because of the slow delta brain waves which have been recorded during this sleep stage.

Delta sleep is a regenerative period where your body heals and repairs itself. Sometimes during illness, your body may fall immediately into Delta sleep because infection fighting antibodies are produced in greater numbers in this sleep stage.

The first episode of Stage 3 and 4 sleep lasts from 45-90 minutes. Progressive episodes of Delta Sleep have shorter and shorter time periods as the night goes on. After several complete sleep cycles earlier in the night, your body does not re-enter stages 3 and 4 any longer, but enters the 5th Stage also called REM (rapid eye movement)

Stage 5 is also called REM or "rapid eye movement". It is during REM periods that we dream. Your body creates chemicals that make you temporarily paralyzed. Your mind is extremely active, and your eyes are moving as if you were awake.

In REM, your heart and breathing rate increases and becomes irregular. Your eyes move from side to side.

As the end of your sleep period approaches, your body temperature begins to rise. Your breathing and heart rate normalizes. You may awake suddenly, perhaps remembering a dream, as you have just ended a REM period.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please ask. I'll try to get the information for you if I can.

abbylee

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2005]
  7. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

AbbyLee, I had a sleep study in June, and the docs woke me in the middle of the night to put on a CPAP because I needed it so bad. They said I stopped breathing 80 to 100 times an hour, but that the CPAP cleared everything up for the rest of the night. I've been on CPAP ever since and do feel stronger, but I still need something to get to sleep. I can be so tired and sleepy, but the moment my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake. It's frustrating to say the least. Thanks for your interest. Ginny
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

As a general rule, apnea patients aren't given Xyrem, but there are some who take it with no problems. I suspect it depends on how bad your apnea is and how much Xyrem it would take to get you to sleep.

You might want to ask your doc about it.

abbylee