Why the Anxiety/Depression with CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 9, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I still don't get the connection why I am so anxious and depression with this darn CFS. The anxiety/depression is worse than the CFS, or does it all together. I am becoming so much worse.

I tried the zoloft, never again,so will try to be postive and do the best I can but I am becoming bedredden and housebound again more from the anxiety/depression and it scares the heck out of me.

Could it all have come from the stress of trying to care for my greatgrans and all that goes with caring for two precious little ones. Taking them to school, picking up, preparing meals etc and on and on?

Just needed to Vent

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi greatgran

yes you are doing to much! I took care of my grandkids and it really took its toll.
    I think the anxiety comes from worrying about am I going to be able to do all the tasks today? Is it going to be a good day or bad day and if its bad how will I cope? once we get triggered with being anixous bam its hard to calm down.

then the depression because heck we can't do all!!!!!! having to let go then being housebound. It would make anyone depressed!

Im now lucky if I see gkids or get to do anything with them(had wrong impression to keep pushing and when they are in school their good. little did I realize now their older(7-10-14) they want me more!)

Please back off now and have visits before you can't do at all. yes I worried about helping out my daughter too but I paid the price.

vent any time I understand the furstation all to well

3. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I have tried a lot of meds for anxiety/depression and none of them really helped but have found GABA REALLY helped me a lot. I toke 750mg at night for a few weeks and it helped some but than tried 2 750mg at night and found it helped a lot more. I can say 99% of my anxiety is gone.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Honestly , we are so much alike, poor you. Yes the worrying about will I be able to do this or that takes a toll with me.

That is why mine is so much worse of the morning, until about 4 pm then I began to feel less anxious/depressed.

Its so hard to accept the fact I just can't do what I want to and once did.

Sorry, you had to pay the price as that seems to be happening with me. How did not saying NO effect you?

Thanks for being there for me.

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Did you have any side effects from the GABA and where did you purchase yours?

I take xanax which is suppose to help the GABA, doubt if I could take both.

6. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Most of the time I get my GABA here at ProHealth.
    Side effects - yes and no, LOL, I sleep there them, I have taken it in the day but didn't like the side effects so changed it bedtime. You can get a real intents feeling of drowsiness that doesn't last but a few minutes at most, feeling of a racing heart rate that also doesn't last of at all. I can't remember for sure everything else, I think hot face and tingling or something like that. I have read over and over again that there side effects are NOT dangerous and it does effect your heart even tho it feels like it does.

Xanax and GABA together, I don't know. I tried looking it up but didn't find any info.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Have you ever seen a naturopath? As you know, regular docs can be very limited in what they can do for CFS.

Your anxiety/depression could be due in part from caring for your greatgrandchildren. But there are other possibilities that a naturopath could explore with you.

For example, your costisol levels may be too high - this can cause a general feeling of anxiety and trouble coping. Mine were quite high a few years ago but I got help. Anyways, a naturopath can order a test to check your cortisol levels.

I know jaminhealth also thinks your thyroid may be involved, but your doctor won't go there. Well, a naturopath would probably check your body temperature and other symptoms and determine if your thyroid needs help, without relying solely on blood tests, which have been shown to be inadequate.

They might suggest trying 5-htp or l-tryptophan, amino acids which naturally help raise serotonin levels, without the side effects of drugs like zoloft. I can't tolerate anti-depressants, had horrible side effects, but I do great with 5-htp and l-tryptophan (not at the same time).

So there are lots of possibilities for you, but I don't think you're going to find the answers with your regular doctor. Here's a website that has a list of naturopaths in Virginia:

All I know is my regular doctors did nothing for my CFIDS symptoms. The only help I ever got was from my chiropractor who does muscle testing, a naturopath, a very unusual M.D. who treats via nutrition and supplements, and Clymer Healing Research Center (on-line) who helped with my high cortisol.

Take care-

8. 3gs

3gs New Member

not saying no put me on a downword spiral flares more pain fatigue.

i was getting short tempered with the kids and about flat on my face by the time i left.

I no longer have any stamina left. also fog was worse took me longer and longer to bounce back.

now theres no sleepovers or much fun. really think if i had slowed down and takin care of myself maybe i could do more now.

i can tell by your posts you are sounding just like i did before i had to stop or i should say my daughter made me.

reserve now so you can play laterit breaks my heart to always say no to gkids or the first thhing they ask is if im sick can they see me why not you use too.i missed a birthday for first time in 14yrs xmas etc.

[This Message was Edited on 11/09/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2008]
  9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Gran,
    i think the depression & anxiety just goes hand in hand with lots of diseases.. especially in ones like ours, when we see no light at the end of the tunnel! life is tough enough, but to think you may never recover ...even just enough to function kind of normal is very depressing to me, i used to be so active, my nick name at work was speedy, cause i was a multi tasker & always going going going. now i can't really work, heck i cant even keep my house like i want it.It's just so sad to think it will never be the same & this is what im left with.
    ALso im sure it does something chemically to our poor Brains, i mean they find lesions on brain MRI's all the time.And in my case depression & anxiety runs in my family, so im sure that plays a part. just remember when your feeling like you could climb the wall's or just ball up in bed & cry all day, your not alone. i fight it on a daily basis!!
    i have been trying to do some meditating, & breath work. and it helps a little. i have some tapes by william colling that has helped a lot. i have downloaded them on my ipod, if you want ill send you my cd's to keep. it might help you. i'll try anything that wont hurt me ( like some meds) Hope your feeling better soon{{{Hugs}}} Kat
  10. stschn

stschn New Member

I've not really had to deal with the depression other than when I was on Valcyte and then my emotions where all over the place. Instead of being depressed I just got mad as hell. Mad at my body for betraying me, mad at the medical community for not helping me let alone believeing me. I've had a lot of anxiety all these years but when we were on our way to Stanford last week a 2 1/2 hour ride and one where in the past my nerves were always shot from the stress of to many cars I found I was able to relax for the first time. More Valcyte improvement? I don't know but it was nice to be able to enjoy the view going down the 280 in Northern California. When I asked Dr. Montoya if he felt that over working our body does more damage than just the crash he said yes there seems to be evidence to support that. I believe that we owe it to our children to take the best possible care of ourselves so that they don't have to later.