Why the Canadian Thanksgiving comes first!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Redwillow, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I wanted to wish all of the Americans on this board a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

As many of you know Canadian's have their Thanksgiving in October. However I would be willing to celebrate again this weekend as I love turkey dinner. Hint hint! LOL

I have a theory about why Canada celebrates Thanksgiving earlier than Americans. It is my theory that the piligrams actually settled in Canada first.... I know historians won't back me up here but....

When the Pilgrims realized just how d*** cold it really gets here in the winter they packed up their boats and sailed south to warmer climates! Hence the later date for Thanksgiving! LOL

hugs Redwillow
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  2. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

It's a darn good thing they didn't come here to Western Oregon this time of year, even Lewis and Clark thought it was the most dismal place on earth during the winter! Of course summer and fall are nice . . . . I think we should have Thanksgiving in spring to celebrate the fact that we made it through winter! (is it summer again yet? Can I wake up now? lol)
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thats a good one.

4. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I thought us Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving early
    because our Turkeys always freeze to death in October.

Wishing all Americans a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Gentle bear hugs

5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I LOL reading your explanations!

I appreciate you wishing us a Happy Thanksgiving!

Still chuckling...

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In the States was in Dec. One of our presidents (can't remember which one) made it oficially the third Thurs. in Nov. I think it was to officially kick off the Holiday Season (and the shopping frenzy). Geez, stores are opening tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. Crazy!

Love, Mikie