Why Vitamins are Not Enough - Interesting..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Nov 20, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Check out the symptoms below of Vitamin B deficiency!! If you read this carefully, it makes alot of sense. I know it is long, but I tried to break it up.

They talk are chronic deficiencies that go undetected, also the dangers of taking mega doses of regular vitamins.

Symptoms of Vitamin B Deficiency and Why Vitamin Pills Are Not Enough

by Vic Shayne, PhD ©2005

Author, Man Cannot Live on Vitamins Alone

Before delving into the problems of vitamin B complex deficiency and its symptoms, it is first important to understand the difference between vitamins that are in pill form versus vitamins that are contained within nature’s foods.

There is a world of difference — a difference between sickness and health. Vitamins just do not work like foods, and foods are what our bodies were designed to use for healing, prevention and energy.

There is no substitute, and no matter how you look at it, vitamin pills are an invention of scientists, so they are prone to cause side effects, be incomplete and lack what we need to overcome our health problems.

Vitamins have been sold and marketed as the “magic bullet” for all health problems, yet food science researchers are bringing out the truth about vitamins, minerals, multivitamins and antioxidants— and it’s not an easy pill to swallow.

The problem is that vitamins, when not still contained in their original food (oranges, bananas, spinach, broccoli, etc.) are merely chemicals. Our bodies do not recognize vitamins as nutrients, because they don’t work the same way as whole foods for these simple reasons:

Foods contain not just vitamins, but the co-workers (synergists) and helper nutrients that allow vitamins to work

Foods are never found in high potency, so you won’t suffer any toxic side effects that have been proven to exist with ALL vitamin pills. As one expert stated, “Foods never deliver toxic doses [of vitamins]. (Hamilton, p.205)

Vitamins are just a small part of what our bodies require for health and healing. It is very often that it is the other food properties that help us while the vitamins are secondary.

Vitamin pills need other nutrients in order to work.
    For these reasons, and more, vitamin pills, despite their use and overuse, are not turning people’s health around.

They are lacking the properties of real nutrition which can only come from eating nature’s real, whole, raw foods. The only supplement that someone should take, therefore, is a whole food formula WITHOUT any isolated (singular vitamin).

This is an important point, because most supplements called “whole food” are combinations of real foods and isolated vitamins. You have to carefully read the labels to see. Look for these words to identify vitamin chemicals on a label:

Pyridoxine
    Thiamine or thiamin
    Niacin or niacinamide
    Palmitate
    ascorbic acid
    Riboflavin
    Mixed tocopherols
    B12
    cyanocobalamin
    more
    Vitamins are not foods, so instead of vitamins and minerals on a label, you should be looking for the names of foods and herbs on the label. Don’t be fooled by high milligrams, high potency, standardization or any other such terms that just do not apply to real foods from nature.

VITAMIN B COMPLEX DEFICIENCY:
    MAJOR CAUSES

Vitamin B complex comprises a number of vitamins that exist as a family. They should not be taken individually. In this modern era, millions of people suffer from a deficiency of vitamin B for several reasons, chief among which are:

Stress: emotional, physical and spiritual

Processed foods in the diet: these are not real foods and so they tax the body

Refined sugar. The average person consumes at least 140 pounds of sugar a year which robs the body of its vitamin B stores

Drugs: both recreational and prescription drugs deplete vitamin B

Toxins: poisons in the environment and personal care products deplete vitamin B complex

Malnutrition. Most people are malnourished because they are not eating the right kinds of foods

Cooking. Most people do not eat enough real, raw foods, so vitamin B is killed or so depleted that people are not getting enough of it in the diet
    DO YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS?

Once your body has been deprived of the vitamin B complex due to reasons stated above, it begins to show symptoms (signs) of altered, diminished or poor health. This is because the vitamin B complex (within foods, not vitamin pills) is responsible for such a wide variety of activities, including cellular differentiation, transmission of nerve electricity, health of nerve cells, heart pulse rate, muscular contraction, digestion, brain function, thought processes and energy production. Without adequate vitamin B complex from foods, you can experience one or more of any one of these symptoms:

mental problems
    heart palpitations
    heart arrythmias
    fibrillation
    indigestion
    chronic fatigue
    chronic exhaustion
    paranoia, vague fears, fear that something dreadful is about to happen
    nervousness
    ADD (attention deficiency), inability to concentrate, irritability
    feeling of uneasiness
    thoughts of dying
    easy agitation, frustration
    inability to sleep (insomnia)
    restlessness
    tingling in hands
    tingling fingers and toes
    rashes
    crying spells, inability to cope
    soreness all over
    and so much more.

CHRONIC VITAMIN B DEFICIENCY

Vitamin B deficiency can sneak up on you, because it doesn’t have to create serious health problems right away. In fact, medical researchers have discovered that very often there can be no detectable signs according to scientific instrumentation, that you are experiencing a deficiency.

For example, “memory impairment due to vitamin B12 deficiency can precede blood symptoms of deficiency by years. Evidence that vitamin B12 deficiency accounts for some cognition deficits in older people comes from a study that revealed abnormal short-term memory in more than two-thirds of clients with pernicious anemia…The researchers recommend that a diagnosis of senile dementia should not be made, even in the absence of anemia, until vitamin B12 status is determined biochemically.”

(Hamilton, p. 476) This means that it is possible that certain mental disorders can be directly attributable to vitamin B complex deficiency, and it is easier to first start replenishing stores of vitamin B complex than to begin treating difficult mental illnesses with drugs, therapy or psychological counseling.

When vitamin B deficiency becomes chronic (long-lasting), other problems can occur, including troubles with your adrenal system. The adrenal glands serve many purposes, but in relation to this topic, they are the back up system for making energy.

When there is a chronic lack of vitamin B complex then the adrenal glands are called upon to produce quick energy by injecting certain hormones like adrenaline into your system so that you can cope with life. If this goes on for a long time, then the adrenal glands become impaired or worn out, leading to even more health problems.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP YOURSELF

There are a number of things you can do to prevent and overcome vitamin B complex deficiency:

1. Stop taking vitamin pills and switch over to whole food formulas products. The three most recommended to support you are: BFood Complex, AdrenaPlex and SuperGreens PhytoFood. These products are made only of foods and not parts of foods or isolated vitamins. They won’t add to your problems the way vitamin pills can, and they are not toxic the way vitamin pills can be.

2. Stop eating refined sugar. Click here to read all about refined sugar and its bad effects from researcher Nancy Appleton, PhD.

3. Stop eating artificial ingredients. Read all labels on your foods and if there are names of chemicals, don’t eat them. (Click here to see the author’s book, Illness Isn’t Caused by a Drug Deficiency. Switch to organic foods.

4. Reduce stress through a regular exercise program, meditation, counseling and/or hobbies

5. Stop drinking coffee; switch to organic decaffeinated coffee or organic green tea

6. Eat more vitamin B-containing foods — oats, barley, wheat bran, avocado, salmon, Brazil nuts and others.

7. Be patient. It took a while to create a vitamin B deficiency, so it takes a while to reverse the problem; with severe cases it can take a year or so, with milder cases it can take just a few days.

8. If you have a friend or relative with a mental or emotional disorder, think of the possibility of a vitamin B complex deficiency and then make suggestions for adjustments in their diet and take appropriate whole food formulas.

9. Always coordinate all of your health and treatment plans with all of your practitioners.

10. Avoid toxins in your life. This is a serious issue that causes more health problems than people commonly realize. (See the author’s book, Evil Genius in the Garden of Eden — how toxins make us sick and corporations profit from our illness).

Sources:
    Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA); “Vitamins for Chronic Disease Prevention in Adults,” Clinical Applications, Robert H. Fletcher, MD,MSc; Kathleen M. Fairfield, MD,DrPH

JAMA. 2002;287:3127-3129.

Shayne, PhD, Vic, Man Cannot Live on Vitamins Alone, 2004

Shayne, PhD, Vic, Illness Isn’t Caused by a Drug Deficiency!, 2001

Hamilton, et.al, Nutrition Concepts & Controversies, 5th Ed., West Publishing, St. Paul, 1991

Stryer, PhD. Lubert, Biochemistry, 2nd Ed., Stanford University, WH Freeman & Co., San Francisco, 1981

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Everybody should be doing these things, I'm ready for a move over to foods rather than my quick fix vitamins, myself, now that I'm feeling much better. I'm going to order the phytofood and the bfood complex right away. Now if we can only convince my husband, who refuses to give up the food he loves...

How can we address food addiction? I only quit the food I loved when I couldn't even eat it anymore. Now I'm a health nut when it comes to food. When someone tells me they eat healthy, I say "oh yeah? what?" and when they tell me I proceed to shoot it down in flames because almost nobody knows what's really healthy or why. I only know from researching it thoroughly on the net. The net is my doctor, now. It's cheaper, smarter and it's not illegal for the net to recommend things other than drugs or surgery; it can recommend things like nutrition and supplements. Here's a good tip for searching on the net: put "natural remedies" in front of every health concern you google for. Then you won't get a bunch of medical stuff that's geared towards selling drugs. namaste, karen
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I need to research about phyto foods, etc. I hope someone here can recommend good vitamins that are natural. I am very interested in getting myself on a good supplement program.

I am afraid of herbals because I have so many allergies.
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

but in some instances, some vitamins are essential. What comes to mind are folic acid for pregnant women to prevent birth defects such as spina-bifida. If one does not get enough folic acid at a crucial point in the babies development, than there could be bad consequences.

Vitamin supplements do have thier place in our overall health, but I do not believe that mega-doses of anything are good for us. Just a regular multi-vitamin should be enough, along with healthy eating. I really don't think one needs to spend all that money on the ones he recommends such as phytofoods, super greens, etc., so I have to disagree on that point.

Take care, Sally

5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Do you still consume dairy? I got rid of all my allergies when I stopped dairy. It took awhile to get it out of my system, like 2-3 months. I used to have hay fever all the time, I was allergic to cats, my dogs would make me itch, etc. Now I never sneeze and I can cuddle with my cats and dogs. I think dairy also affects the immune system. Especially pasteurized and homogenized products. It doesn't matter if they're organic or not, the proteins become so altered by the processing, your body doesn't recognize them as a food but as a foreign body. So when your immune system is going crazy from the milk proteins, it puts you in a hypersensitive state and then you're allergic to other things you wouldn't normally be allergic to like pollens or cats.

I used to take cold medicine and benadryl for years but not anymore. And you'll never hear on the news that most people could get rid of their allergies by giving up dairy because there is too much income coming in to the dairy companies and the companies that make allergy medicine. I read it online and at first I didn't believe it and when I finally tried it, I was amazed and pissed off that the knowledge had been hidden from me. I suffered through high school with an itchy, red face and runny nose constantly. Always sneezing in class and having to blow my nose. It was really humiliating. karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

What I did regarding supplements was to go through Dr. Titelbaum and Dr. Cheney's cfs protocols and decided which symptoms I had and then I used all the supplements to treat those symptoms. I had tried many before, like 1 or 2 at a time, but it was only when I used them all together I had dramatic results. I treated myself for the following using their recommendations except I didn't use any drugs:

liver congestion (actually had to google this separate, they don't have much to say about this)
    mitochondrial malfunction
    low blood volume
    low oxygen
    hormonal imbalances
    hpa axis malfunction
    central nervous system malfunction
    immune system imbalance
    detoxification
    sleep disorder
    malnourished due to poor nutrient absorption

For example, for mitochondria, which are the "engines" of each cell, I take mitochondria "fuel", which is CoQ10, ribose, acetyl l carnitine, NADH and magnesium ( I had lots more energy in 2 days after I started these). Then I move on to the next problem symptom and I wrote down what supplements are needed for that. Then I took them all. When a problem gets better, like my adrenal fatigue finally did, I quit the supplements for that and just worry about the rest.

I know Cheney's protocol is available in the library, here. Search Cheney and look at the article dated Nov 8, 2002.

If I only had to take one supplement, it would have to be the Daily Energy Enfusion. It's Titelbaum's multivitamin and mineral supplement with aminos. But one is just not enough for me.

And juicing is very important. Wheat grass and other grain grasses are whole foods. They're just loaded with stuff. They taste like hell but they are easy enough to get down if you get a juicer like the Green Power or one that gets out most of the pulp. I used to have a centrifugal juicer but it was like drinking porridge.

A really good site about food and health and stuff without getting too long is healingdaily.com. And pay attention to liver health; sometimes it has to be in really bad shape before there is any indication it is not working at 100%. Pay attention more to symptoms than blood work.

And you can go through the "what works for me" and write down what most people are taking. Mineral supplements are extremely important if you don't eat alot of veggies or don't juice.

good luck, hope this can help
    karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]