Why was i BETTER when i was PREGNANT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Feb 24, 2007.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i know many women feel good in their 2nd and 3rd pregnancy trimester...however...i was ill for about 6 months BIG TIME b4 getting pregnant. (The pregnancy in itself was a miracle given my state). So i was terribly sick the first trimester, along w/ my ill health..but in the 2nd trimester MANY of my symptoms minimized or vanished! i knew that after the birth it would return and sure enough...week by week...my old sick self was returning.

I have read alot about many conditions that i feel i may be dealing with (dysautonomia, cfs, candida lyme)...and in the dysautonomia book i had it said that increased BLOOD VOLUME may be the cause of people feeling BETTER in pregnancy (not just hormonal reasons).

tHIS makes sense to me as i always feel low blood pressure. It even dropped below 55 during my c-section and i nearly blacked out. Anyhow...i dont know why id get better...but people w/ lyme also say its normal to feel better during pregnancy and i believe people with candida too....so are these problems really one in the SAME.????
  2. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Interesting!

A friend of mine has systemic arthritis (can't think of technical name) but she is very debilitated with it.

While pregnant, ALL of her pain and symptoms were gone....ALL returned after giving birth.

I would think it would be hard to figure out what exactly changes since your entire system changes while pregnant. As you said, not just hormones.

Maybe others would know more.

Good luck with your baby :)

scapper
  3. darude

darude New Member

See my post on this
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

A friend of mine who has Lupus, not FM...said that during both of her pregnancies, she felt wonderful. Then, later on in life, she got breast cancer and had to undergo chemotherapy treatments, which often can bring on "instant" menopause and it did, in her case. After the menopause, though, her Lupus has been almost non-existent---and this was a woman who had Lupus severe enough to be on Prednisone for 17 years straight. She even took it during pregnancy (oddly enough it was OK, doesn't cross the placenta, apparently).

Both times the Lupus all but went away, pregnancy and now menopause, are times of drastic hormonal shifts. She said she had always felt that her Lupus was hormonally-driven, but couldn't really prove it.

It makes sense that FM/CFS, being auto-immune conditions like Lupus, could be similar in that hormones could play a big role, at least for some people...obviously this wouldn't hold true for the many men who have FM and/or CFS.

One of the many mysteries...

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. KelB

KelB New Member

The symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis are also said to ease off/clear up for some women during pregnancy.

Not saying that you have MS, just quoting that as another example of the way that women's bodies can protect themselves during a really important physical time. I guess we're programmed to protect the next generation.
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

I'm one of the ones that doesn't feel better whilst pregnant. I actually went into a massive flare with my 2nd child when I was 21 weeks pregnant & we nearly lost her :(
    That said I handle labour & delivery absolutely brilliant. My labours have been reasonably long. ButI natural labour (reply on my own endorphins,) no epidural & afterwards feel awesome for at least 24 hours :D
  7. ILM

ILM New Member

while I was pg, I stayed better while I was nursing.

CFS came back with a vengence a few months after I weaned.

I bf the babies until they were 2 and had 2 in less than 2 years, so I had 4 years straight free of CFS....but I had 2 under 2 so I was still tired :)
  8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have always wondered this myself...

Back before I really felt to bad was when I got pg with my son....but I felt sooo good being pg with him. I wondered if it was from the prenatal vitamin I was taking...Then after I had him my symptoms slowly got worse..but I could still funtion pretty good..

Then four years later when I got pg with my daughter was when I got really bad and have never been better since.

Not sure how I could feel better than normal with my son...but then feel worse than ever with my daughter..everything was bad when I was pg with her..and I still feel like that now...she is 6.

I use to take pg test...thinking I was pg because of feeling horible all the time..

Now I do get even worse when it's time for my period...Makes me think it is a link between hormones and yeast..Cuz when I was pg with my daughter I had gotten a sinus infection and then put on an antibiotic..then got a horrible yeast infection..So I know yeast is part of the feeling horible..

But..I would like to know how I felt so good with my son..I want to feel that way again! Don't want to get pg though!!

SherylD
  9. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

that while women are pregnant they produce a growth hormone that is what is lacking in our system to cause flares.

Don't know how true it is but I and a lot I have talked to said mirical clear up during pregnancy.

you would think they could do a research on that to find a link.

courious also.
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I also agree it could be the hormones,the change while being pregnant.

But then Sheryld said that she felt worse when carrying her daughter.And been sick ever since.

So it is really hard to say what does it. Too bad someone hasnt looked into that.

Have a *feel good* day,
    Jordane
  11. bronzee

bronzee New Member

Monica , diseases go into dormat..they are put on hold until after pregnancy. I learn this when i suffered from edormitrois, they fibors stop growing and my bad pain creased. like for 12mose. After the birth of my child ..it returned. I didn't want to stay pregnant all the time. When menepause came i was told it would leave again. I just know I wasn't paining until after the birth of my child so its some truth to what that dr told me.
  12. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

thank you everyone.
    CFS is such a bizarre condition. There are so many twists and areas to pursue researching.
  13. deliarose

deliarose New Member

says it is because of increased production of prolactin.
    Delia
  14. Kal-El

Kal-El New Member

You should get a Tilt Table test done if you haven't already. The pregnancy does temporarily increase blood volume, but it could have been masking an undiagnosed heart condition. I would seriously consider this test to rule that out.
  15. twitcher

twitcher New Member

During pregnancy the immune system is suppressed so that our bodies won't see the fetus as a foreign object and attack it. This is why people with autoimmune illnesses usually feel better when they are pregnant. However, after pregnancy, autoimmune problems are usually much worse as the immune system is back to normal and the body is so stressed due to the pregnancy.