Why We May Crave Carbs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just a thought. Many of us are low in human growth factor. The body craves what it needs. When one eats carbs, insulin is spiked and produces an insulin growth factor like matter in the body. This may be the body's last ditch effort to get some kind of growth factor like matter. I haven't researched this nor read much about it but the idea did occur to me. Has anyone looked at this?

Love, Mikie
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

but it is an interesting thought...

bumping this up!

all the best,
    Victoria
  3. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

well in the the book it says that st armand whatshisname says that we constantly crave them with the fms.

I want chocolate and donuts right now! I mean NOW DANG IT! Been fighting it all day.

Just waiting for hubby to get home to go buy cat litter and excuse to go buy junkfood. and that is buy it NOW!

I thought it kinda funny reading the post titles on are you fat or thin this last week after I read the carb craving in the book. I am about 80 pounds over weight and I just can not drop under 200 when I get close to it. RIght now I am not even close to that 200 mark and it is gutting thinking I MUST go get something or I may just die.

Honestly death without chocolate, seems so plausible while I am without it.

It has been a thought for a while but not in relation to the hormone Mikie just a thought on carbs and why they are more addicting while having fms.

TTFN Brenda
  4. darude

darude New Member

I have an article on this somewhere so I will try and find it for you. I looked it up because they found out the pituitary tumour I have is causing very low growth hormone in me as well as other hormonal problems. Will post when I find it.
  5. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i've gained weight in the past year or so.

when i saw my pc last week i told her sometimes i HAVE to eat and HAVE TO EAT NOW...like i'm being controlled by someone else!!! ha!

she said that goes along with depression. i've been on lexapro for a few years which helps and i'm a relatively happy person, when not in pain.

anyone with these 'eating attacks' have depression or being treated for it??

haven't eaten my breakfast yet, hhhmmmm...... :)
  6. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

well I went and had my donut last night and now for breaky I had a cream egg mmmmmmmm and percocet.

I get like that too if I do not have what I smell whether anyone else can smell it too I need it.

Hubby thinks I invent smells just to go eat. To bad he really does not understand that most food smells make so sick to my stomach that I just do not want to eat most of the time. I prefer odorless snaking.

7. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

I crave carbs period......what do i do to stop it..
  8. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

Mikie, first off your the brains of this website, i agree with you all the time and learn a ton of stuff from your wise self, thanks!

The carb thing is my problem and i just found an article about carbs - some research was done at Washingtons Bastyr University and people who take multivitamins gain less.

That doesnt work for me but the research went on to say for people to take Chromium, it suppose to suppress appetites.
    They say to take 150 mcg daily.

Have you heard of this before?

I am going to look it up.

thanks- jgavi

i found a great web site on it already!
    Now which person do I beleive- I hate conflicting information!

http://www.dietitian.com/chromium.html[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  9. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I crave carbs something fierce. I could eat them day and night. Chocolate is a necessity and breads too! Nice to be able to blame this DD for it. Pattie
  10. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Give me pasta and bread! Especially white bread. I usually try to eat more healthy, whole grain breads, but sometimes they just taste sweet to me. I don't know why that is, do you?

Anyway, I just want to eat white bread, white crackers...
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone who does find info on this, please do share with us.

Yes, I have heard about chromium helping with weight loss.

I find I don't crave carbs all the time. Sometimes, I crave protein. I think whatever regulates us is broken.

Jgavi, I appreciate the compliments. Thank you. This is one area I have no knowledge in and will try to research when I have time. In the meantime, perhaps someone else will come up with some good info.

Love, Mikie
  12. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

What kimfibro said is so right on for me. I do feel like I'm being controlled by someone else, with my eating. I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time.

For me, when I eat carbs (sugar, etc.) I feel better the next day. Like, a little more energy and better focus.

My personal guesses: depression - carbs raise seretonin level. Autoimmune thyroid thingy - sugar supresses immune system for awhile, cutting off some of the attack on myself. Malabsorbtion thing - can't get much nutrients from regular healthy food so am starving and need some 'simple carbs' just so I can function. Emotional reasons - feel left out because everyone gets to eat junk food but me.

My ideas. Anyone else got some more research on this? I'm like Mikie too, some days I just want the protein.

The cravings are so strong that I am at a point where I'm just giving in and cutting my losses for whatever will happen to me. I know it's not right. But I'm so sick that anything that makes me feel better short term is welcome.
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I am a carb addict. The only way I can control the cravings is to stay away from any carbs except what I get from fruits and veggies and cheese and dairy.

Low carb diets don't work for everyone and for some people they are even toxic. But for me that is the only way to control my cravings.

If I strictly avoid white sugar, flower, rice, pasta, then I don't crave them any more.

However, if I eat them, I crave them even more and I have to go cold turkey to stop. That, of course, makes me sick for a week which I really don't need so I try to stay in control always.

It's hard! I really like cookies and they have these wonderful iced sugar cookies, really big ones, thick icing, in the window where I get my coffee in the morning! Now that's a challange!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  14. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

In the last year, I've been experience more food cravings, or should I say fat and carb cravings. Give me bread, bread, and more bread and add some chicken wings in for good luck.

If someone could tell me how to turn off this switch, I'd love it.

Eileen
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Don't get me started on bread! Once I pick up a loaf of sour dough bread I will eat it all! I have even been known to stash it in the car so my DH won't take any! MINE!!

See why I have to avoid carbs! I'm like an alcoholic! I can't have just one beer, I want them all! I can't have just a serving of bread, I'm eating it all!

It does help if you eat some protein with the carbs. Helps to slow the absorption of the carbs which helps to keep your blood sugar even.

Hugzz,

Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  16. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

oh, wow, that me LAUGH so hard!! thank you!!

hiding bread in the car!!!!! loved it! :) :)

i absolutely LOVE irish soda bread and actually ate the entire thing a week or two ago. ate the entire thing in a day. granted, it wasn't HUGE and it DID have lots of air pockets, but............the whole thing???

the things we do...
  17. mom4three

mom4three New Member

All I want is carbs. More carbs the better. Sugar, bread, pasta you name it...
    I feel like I binge sometimes that is how bad carbs get me.

*stands up*(very slowly and holds on to couch and kids for support but does it anyway.)

My name is Tracy and I am addicted to carbs....
  18. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

The Candida needs to be fed. It loves to eat up all the glucose in your blood. Then you feel hungry because you're getting low of blood sugar. So what do you eat - sugar, pasta, bread, pototoes etc etc etc. Which feeds the Candida even more. It's a never ending circle. The only way to break it that I know of is to stay on an alkaline diet. That's what I did, and I'm free of the Candida that I had.

You have to get off the carbs and sugars and onto more green, alkaline foods so that the Candida can die off. One other thing that Candida feeds on is hormones. That's why a lot of us have hormone imbalances.

Mikie, just thought you'd like to know, the Insulin that gets spiked is different from the insulin "like" growth factors such as IGF-1. There are about 30 growth factors that get created from Growth Hormone, but the Insulin for digestion that diabetics talk about is a different creature.[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  19. loumcgregor

loumcgregor New Member

I have to agree with the last reply above, i to crave carbs and have gained a lot of extra weight, which now has slowed down a little.

After having accupunture for many months, i was given the same explanation as above - candida which i have had for years. The only way is a candida free diet - alkaline.

i have just registered tonight on this site and find all your info great - good to know i am now going totally crazy , others have the same to. thanks!!
  20. cobie

cobie New Member

Some Drs,Natropaths believe we crave the things we are actually allergic too. A bit like an Alcoholic.If you have abnormal digestion , Leaky gut , etc digestion of carbs , gluten, starches becomes a problem as the undigested peptides form an opiate like substance which gives you a high in the brain,hence the need to eat them all the time.If an overload of bad bugs is present they produce waste products of fermentation [Lactic Acid]which also affects the brain.This is from Elaine Gothschall book on the Gut. A thought ? Cobie.