Why wont she sleep??

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by grandmashelper, Oct 18, 2004.

1. grandmashelper

grandmashelper New Member

I help take care of my 94yr old Grandma with the late stages of alzheimers. We lost Grandpa in July from malnutriution due to alzheimers. She doesnt remember he is gone or that her bro/sisters are all gone too. Why wont she sleep at night, she wonders about yelling for her sisters/gra-pa and the ghost children she sees. If she is not up wondering around she is yelling from her bed and just wants to know what we are doing or where some one is or to put the kids to bed. (there is no kids)We have tried to give her tylonol pm at bedtime instead of just regular tylonol and it doesnt seem to do anything. ( she has severe arthritice pain.) I cant go to work everyday on 3hrs sleep and then come out when I get off to help with her and start all over it is stressing me out and I just want to yell at her. Any suggestions on what to do to help her sleep through the night?
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Check it again. You will need to ask your Grandma's doctor about these supplements, but I bet it would help her sleep.

Its called; ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), it helps with deep stage four sleep.

Also Melatonin, its a hormone, but it helps you fall asleep. All you need to take is 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 milligrams before bed.

I could not sleep all my life, but after taking the above supplements I sleep 8-9 hours a night, deeply now.

You can read about both of these on the 'Store' link at the top of this page.

I have also read that magnesium (which is the main ingredient in ZMA) is helpful for Alz's.

I sure hope you see this, you have my prayers for the distress your are dealing with.

I will check back and see if you have read this post.

Shalom, Shirl

3. rrrjtl

rrrjtl New Member

I completely understand how frustrating it is to have her be up and down all night. I work at an Alzheimer's facility and when I worked graveyard I saw a lot of this. First of all, know that it is VERY common in the late stages for people with AD to have their sleeping/waking patterns get screwed up.
    Definitely talk to her doctor about this and see if he can maybe give her some medication to help her sleep. Also try and make sure that when you are home with her to sleep when she does (if at all possible). Please don't forget to take care of your needs while taking care of her.
    I also want to say I commend you for continuing to care for her yourself. I know how frustrating and upsetting these late stages are.
    I would also suggest if it is at all possible to maybe see if someone else can take over for you with her for just a couple of days so you can relax and recharge. Everyone needs some time off.

My prayers are with you and your family!
  4. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

that you have all this going on with grandma.....
    Have you ever visited our Alz. site on ProHealth.....
    If not, just go to the top, click on message boards, and then click on Alzheimer's.....

There are a great group of people over there, that have been where you are, they share their stories of what has helped them with their loved ones.......

An Alzheimer's patient is often given a drug called "Seroquel" or "Zyprexa" which will usually help with sleep and controls hallucinations...
    Is grandma on any meds........
    Is grandma seeing a nuerologist - they are usually best qualified in dealing the AD.......

I no longer have my mother at home, she had to be in a NH, not only due to her dementia, but for physical problems....
    Please come on over and take a peek at the AD Board, think you will find it most helpful - you can always just vent away over there.......

Wishing you the best.......Love, Donna