Wierdest thing happened yesterday...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kellyslaw, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I was wondering if anyone else has had the strange experience I had yesterday. I went into the hospital yesterday a.m. five-thirty a.m. because my ortho doc wanted to do a hip injection to see if it could aleviate any pain-post total hip replacement. I am 47 and had the total hip in 2005. I had almost 1 year of relief since the total hip. Well, after I woke-up from the hip injection, the nurse had me get ready to go home. My dh was with me. The nurse put me in a wheelchair and when we got to the car, I stood-up to get into the car and I fell on to my knees. Both of my legs collapsed. They felt like rubber or noodles. I could not believe it. The nurse and my husband put me back into the wheelchair and took me back to the hospital. They got my dr out of surgery (when he could take a break) about 45 minutes later, and my ortho doc was stumped. He tested my reflexes and I had none in my right leg where he gave me the shots, and my left leg did the wierdest thing. It just kinda spasmed. The dr said it looked "tonic". He said he did not do anything to my left leg and could not understand what happened. He said if I could not walk within the next 2 hours, he was going to admit me. I have to admit I was so scared. I walked in to have the procedure, and now I could not walk out. After about a an hour and a half, I could walk to the wheel chair with assistant from my husband and the nurse; but my legs were and still are very weak. I made it home but I have been in bed except to go to the bathroom since yesterday. I now have to use crutches to walk. The pain level is about a 9 in my right leg with meds. I got about 3 hours of sleep. Sorry for such a long post, but I am terrified and I don't know what is happening. Any posts would be of great comfort.

Thank you,
  2. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I am the same way with the legs..Sometimes they just collapse. I've fallen to my knees many times.

I think that it is fibro related. We run a small Harley repair shop, and the floors are cement. After about 5 minutes of standing on the cement, they get all rubbery, and I know "Lynn to Earth" is immenent. So I sit.

But sometimes it takes me by surprise, and I'm on the floor.

I'm thinking about getting a shower chair. Too many times dizziness hits, and the legs are not sturdy anymore.

Boy, do I hate this DD.
  3. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Thank you for your post. I am glad I'm not alone, but I am sorry you have experienced this to. Boy does falling hurt. I feel like I have a whiplash today. I don't know about you, but I don't bounce like I used to. I agree, these DD's suck.

4. 3gs

3gs New Member

What kind of meds did they inject into your hip? Dosage? What did he mean by it looked tonic?
    Do you have fibro? If so it could be a rection to meds. Did he think he could have hit a nerve?

I did injections and had rections to the meds.I do have fibro etc. and have to be careful with drugs and dosages. Did not become as weak as you but felt like a noodle. It also increased my pain level.

I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I don't think doctors understand that one size does not fit all.....

Hope you get some relief have you tryed warm baths? Do you have anyother way to manage pain? It probably is going to take time for this to calm down...

If you need to go to the er if this does not get better.
  5. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I have fibro. I am still having residual problems. Yes, my pain level is still high. I am having some weird symptoms in my left hip and leg now. This is so strange. I called the drs office today and they want to see me next thursday. They said the same thing as you, if I have more symptoms go to the ER. Thank you for the post. I really appreciate it.