Wii Fit Personal Experience Report! Good news :)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, Apr 10, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

My kids are on spring break this week, so on Wednesday we were all at SuperTarget and it turned out they had a Wii Fit board in stock (that doesn't happen very often, we've been looking for one for a long time).

Anyway, we got it, and the kids and I (and even my husband! :) ) have been using it almost nonstop ever since. It is very gentle but effective exercise. It's also very encouraging and motivating.

I love the balance category of games. When I was seeing a physical therapist this Winter, she said that my balance was very off. I have a very strong lower body, but very weak abs and upper body. My poor posture was causing me even more neck and shoulder pain than I would have been in anyway. (And who needs even more pain than we have already??). The balance games are so much fun! You sort of wobble and lean on the board and you do slalom skiing, marble games, tightrope walking, ski-jumping, heading soccer balls, etc.

For aerobics you can do hula-hooping (which is way more fun than it sounds, and much easier to get the hang of than "live" hula-hooping.) Yesterday I was only one point off my kids' high score on the scoreboard.

All of the exercise is low-impact. It reminds you frequently not to jump on the board. I haven't done any of the strength training yet because my muscles cramp up just thinking about it, but there is yoga you can do too, which looks do-able.

If you know someone who has one, it might be worth trying it out at their house.
  2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I got my daughter in law the Wii for Christmas just got her the Wii fit for her b day, she loves it. I was wondering how it would work with Fibro,
    thanks for the information

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This sounds like a good way to get exercize.

If I may ask, what all do you need for this program.

Is it expensive.

4. satchya

satchya New Member

You have to have a wii game system already (we have had ours for a couple of years, so we didn't have that expense on top of the wii-fit board.)

Once you already have a wii game system (I think they're around $249), then you can buy the Wii Fit Balance Board to use with it. It is $89, and comes with the c.d. with all the games on it.

I know Amazon always has them in stock, so don't fall into the paying crazy prices on e-bay because you can't find one locally trap. ;) All this time we didn't want to pay shipping so we kept looking locally but couldn't find one for the longest time. Turns out it was free shipping on Amazon so we could have gotten one any time.

That may seem a bit pricey for some people, but for me it's a lot cheaper than paying a $30 copay twice a week to a physical therapist who tells me what to do but isn't nearly as much fun as playing Ultimate Hula Hoop. LOL
  5. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I read a post on here about how good the Wii fit is and decided to get one as I have put ssoooooo much weight on.

And the bad winter weather means I have not been out so I knew I was so unfit I was and I thought I would try it out.

I think it is a great idea...........keeps you motivated and gives you tips to keep a steady training regime going.

And it is FUN !!!!!!
    We have had such a laugh in the family when someone else tries it hehe!!

It is hard though ......I was better the 1st time I tried it.
    Today I was very weak and my breathing was bad ....but I still think its a good idea to keep ourselves motivated in a way that I would not have if I had not found this.

If you can test run one from a friend 1st it will let you know if it is for you.

6. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Hi-I'm the one that started the thread about Wii Fit-soooo glad others are trying it.
    Yesterday when we got home from an Easter dinner (gobs of food) I felt sluggish and yuck. So, I dragged my Wii fit out and did it for 25 minutes and felt so much better after. Isn't it easy to do??? I hope it helps out for everybody-it's helped me so much.
    Hugs to all,