Will be starting Candida supplements tomorrow, please suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I started a Candida diet right after Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if I did this diet correctly, I just gave up on sugars, flour, and ate mostly meats and vegetables.

I knew this kind of eating would not last throughout the Holidays, and it didn't. However, I did lose about 4 pounds (probably mostly water) from November 28th through about the 14th of December. That was the only noticable different with this diet. I know I was probably experienceing die off or something because I did NOT FEEL WELL AT ALL.

Unfortunately, I resumed normal eating because of Holiday pressure and have gained back the weight and more. The pain, bloating, all over body pain is even more horrible than ever, I guess that's what I get for starting this and allowing some yeast die off, then eating normally again, which I know was wrong.

Anyhow, I will start the diet again but this time I want to take some supplements. From all the research I have gathered so far from this great board and the internet, the protocal seems to go like this.

1.) Garlic supplement at least 500 milligrams 3 times a day.

2.) Acidophillus (Spelling?) Probiotic pearls.

3.) Grapefruit seed extract? Not sure of the dose.

Does this seem about right? Also, I love to take Activia Yogurt, the new stuff they have out now to help with digestive problems. I was getting constipated from the Candida diet, and this yogurt is the only thing has has helped me in the past, but it does have sugar in it. Would that still be okay to take with the Candida diet. Sorry, so long. As you guys can tell, I don't have any plans for New Years, I'm just visiting this wonderful board. Thank you. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Sounds good, grapefruit seed extract 100 mg twice a day is what I take.

You may want to try MSM, too. It's supposed to "melt" yeast and be good for allergies and pain. It's methylsulfonylmethane, something your body needs. It's a powerful detoxifier, too, so start slow. I started at 1000 mg once a day and moved up to twice a day after a few days when I knew it was okay. You can take up to 6-9 grams a day, but I'm staying at 2 for awhile.

I wouldn't eat any yogurt with sugar in it, you're much better off getting an additional probiotic. Get one without fructo-oligo-saccharides and that has lactobacillus plantarum, bifobacterium longum and rhamnoses, among others.

good luck!

karen
  3. jedinvest

jedinvest New Member

It is mostly psyllium. But Natura also sells a probiotic that seems very good. Men and women seem to respond differently to candida as well as to psyllium tolerance which is no problem to me, but my wife says it bloats her.
  4. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I did diflucan and nystatin for months on several different ocassions a few years ago.

Personally for herbal/alternative approaches I think, probiotics, garlic and oregano oil are my favorites.

Now I take Garlic and Probiotics daily. And I am going to start taking oregano oil very soon.

I currently eat about 2 raw cloves of garlic a day. I eat it in two different ways. One clove I press (through a garlic press) and then add a little juice or water to it and drink it rapidly like a shot. The other way is like how Dr. Andrew Weil suggests. I simply cut the clove up into little pill like sizes and just swallow them like pills. I think the latter is the easiest way to eat it to avoid the overpowering taste. I have been eating garlic daily for a couple of months now.

Dr. Andrew Weil:

"Garlic is a powerful natural medicine in addition to being a strong-flavored seasoning for food. It has abilities to lower cholesterol and reduce clotting of the blood. It can also help lower high blood pressure."

"In addition raw garlic is a potent antibiotic, especially active against fungal infections, with antibacterial and antiviral effects as well. An effective home remedy for colds is to eat several cloves of raw garlic at the first onset of symptoms. Eating raw garlic does not appeal to everyone, but garlic loses its antibiotic properties when you cook or dry it, and commercial garlic capsules do not preserve the full activity of the fresh bulb."

"You can make raw garlic more palatable by chopping it fine, mixing it with food, and eating it with a meal. Or cut a clove into chunks and swallow them whole like pills. If it gives you flatulence, eat less. Chewing some fresh parsley after eating garlic also minimizes the odor."

"A good home remedy for the early stage of ear infections in children is to put a few drops of warm garlic oil in the ear canal, then plug the ear loosely with a piece of cotton. To make the garlic oil, crush a few cloves of garlic into some olive oil, let it sit a few days at room temperature, and strain it. Keep the oil in a container in the refrigerator and warm a bit for use as needed. Do not use garlic oil prepared this way for food preparation or cooking."

"Some people even suggest putting a small clove or piece of a clove of raw garlic directly into the ear, keeping it in with a plug of cotton. It will eventually dissolve. One or two cloves of garlic a day are recommended for people who suffer from chronic or recurrent infections, frequent yeast infections, or low resistance to infection."

P.S. The garlic in the ear thing sounds so foreign to me, but everything sounds great!
  5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, astragulus, and Pau d' arco............and of course probiotics........I also take milk thistle for liver funtion.. Don't take them all at the same time... Try the first two for a few months and then switch to the other two. Probiotics can be taken during all this though..
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I wrote a long post on this several weeks ago.....if I can find it, I will bump it up.

My doctor recommended 10 billion organisms of the probiotics per day. This is about 10 regular capsules. I think that has been helpful for me.

The best herbal yeast-killer I've found has been oregano oil.

Good luck! check in with us.