Will everyone go to the new board in midOctober?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Oct 3, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Since this board (immunesupport.com) will be shutting down in just a couple of weeks, I am wondering if everyone here will be posting on the new site (ProHealth.com)?

I think it will take some getting used to, but I'll go.

It seems like some people on the Fibro board said they would just not be posting anymore. That's a sad loss. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2008]
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

elaine is right, we all know each other. That's a huge factor.

It is different, but it's just another change. Life changes--we adapt. As the Borg say, "Resistance is Futile"

I'm grateful to ProHealth for allowing us to get used to the new site while still maintaining this board. That has been a nice consideration. They could have just said, "Here's the new site" and dumped the old site. They didn't.

If the brightness hurts your eyes, try adjusting the settings on your computer. You can dial down the brightness of the monitor. Believe me, I understand getting overwhelmed by too much visual stimulation. But please give it a try.

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

even if it is different and I have gotten used to old ways. It just will take time like everything else !!

4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I've been using the new board exclusively now for some time. If you get on it and use it exclusively, you'll find it isn't some big monster that some have built it up to be and it is not difficult to use. The change is going to happen, whether people stay with the board or not, so ultimately it is your decision. So dive in.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'll get used to the format eventually - we all will.

6. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

The deleted messages do not in fact get deleted when you remove them from the board. They are simply not shown. We keep track of your old posts in case we need to reference them in case we need to have a look at your history on our board.

Deleted posts are showing up in search for posts and we will change it so that they don't show up. We will also have the search display the results in chronological order so they are easier to read.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Take care.
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

hopefully its as simple as www.prohealth.com?????

cause if it gets much more complicated than that I'm lost.

just stating facts. My head is attached to my ankles most days. I'm just not thinking right. (stress) or age.
    so yea,... I'll attempt to cross over.
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I can adapt to the new format, and can't imagine having too much trouble with the new features. But what I can't get used to is the layout.

I have a smaller monitor, 12" across. On the old board, everything fits nicely into that space. But on the new site, I have to scroll to the right on EVERY page. The number of replies a post has, and everything to the right of that is out of view. Yet the list of message boards, which I rarely use, is right there in plain view.

On the thread pages, I can not see who replied unless I scroll over. And again, the list of other boards that I have no immediate need of, are all right there in the prime real estate spot on the left.

IMO, the things needed for the board I am on RIGHT NOW, are what should be in the viewable area. The stuff needed only occasionally should be out of the way in the scroll-to zone.

I did email the board creators and mention my problem, and am hoping that eventually they will move the stuff on the left to the right side, and put the actual board and all that pertains to it, on the left in clear view. The list of topics, and the replies and the names of the repliers all fit on my screen, once I move the page over. So if it was in the right place, all would be perfect.

For now, I am hanging onto the old board till it breathes its last breath. When I no longer have a choice, I will move to the new board and see how it goes.

But I know myself. And I hate constantly adjusting my screen.... clicking to scroll over. I have never encountered this problem before. Usually the main body of a web page begins on the left. I know that if I have to scroll all the time, on every page, it will become very tedious. If it stays like this, I have a feeling I will move on to someplace more user friendly. I'll just have to see how it goes, and how long I can put up with it.
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been trying to post on Mad Men for weeks, and, well, I'm just lame...I WILL post there, I promise! I haven't forgotten you, really!

That's a terrible problem to have with your monitor! Have you thought about getting a different monitor? There must be a million of them out there for pretty cheap. Everyone is going to the flat screens, so you should be able to pick up a much bigger non-flat screen for a song. Check on Craig's list. Most people have to PAY to get rid of a monitor. Check around! You'd love a bigger monitor!

Thanks to everyone who has posted. You guys are making me laugh. I am also very glad to hear that the new site just takes a little getting used to. I've been there a bit, but haven't cut the cord to the old site just yet.

Jorgie - Thanks for all the work you have done. Making MY POSTS chronological would be great.

One more suggestion. When I am in MY POSTS and delete an old post, it then shoots me right back to the main board. It would be good to just go back to the list of MY POSTS. Thanks!
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'll continue to post on the new board, but with a bit of hesitance since privacy has become an issue and always was with me.

I hope the tone of the board will go back to friendly, welcoming, helpful and compassionate so newcomers will find a home there too.

I just wish that with all of the changes they've made, that they could have taken a few minutes to change the name of the Chit Chat board to something that reflects why we come here.

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2008]
  11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I will get a new monitor eventually, but right now, can't afford even a cheap one. My son gave me this one when my stone aged monitor quit on me.

I can't be the only one with this problem. The monitor is big enough for the board, they just put the main stuff on the wrong side of the page.

Off topic to TwinMa:

(Mad Men has its season finale on (brace yourself) Oct. 26th. NOOOOO! I wish they would have a full blown season with 20 something episodes like the other shows. But both seasons 1 & 2 have only 13 eps. So only 4 more left, then a long, long wait till July '09.

But, John Hamm (Don Draper) will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Oct. 25th with musical guests Coldplay. I am pretty excited about that. You KNOW those SNL cast members are going to have a blast with the bullet bras and other 60's wardrobe oddities while spoofing Mad Men.)
  12. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I would never consider leaving--will just learn to adjust to the new boards. I grumbled about it at first but now I'm getting used to it. I feel that I have so many friends here who understand and a wealth of information at my fingertips. And I try to think positive--the change may be a good stimulation for our 'fibro-fogged' minds!

I think it's important to post about any glitches you may be seeing and to email techsupport if necessary. I am sure they want to hear from us until things are running smoothly in our 'new home.' Hang in there!!

13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm glad so many of you will be going to the "other side".

Kina - Tribbles! You got that right! Hopefully they will get all the tribbles out of the bulkheads before they reproduce!

Laura - glad to see you're coming!

4everkid - Are you using the smallest size font on the other site? There are 3 options of font size at the top of the boards. If you choose the smallest, all of the posts fit on the screen. If you choose the middle or biggest font, you can't see the right side of the screen. Try clicking on the smallest "A" and see if it all fits on your monitor. Boy, it would be cool if it was that simple of a fix!

OT - I can't believe MadMen is ending Oct 26! I had no idea! Bummer!
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

will each of us have to re-register over there??
    or are we pretty much all set as is.
    cause I plan on keeping everything the same.(name and such)
  15. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thanks for the suggestions!
    TwinMa, yes I have the font set to the smallest. I was hoping that would be the answer, but it's not.

Elaine, it's the same on IE as Firefox. I don't keep my favorite list open, just the main page.

Like I said, my monitor is only 12 inches across. Usually pages are arranged so that what I need to see is in view without scrolling. Occasionally I will come across a site where I have to scroll back and forth, but its rare.

In the control panel, my monitor only has 2 settings for screen size. The other setting is way too small to see.

Whats funny is that everything within the border below the green "Chit Chat Message Board" banner FITS on my screen perfectly. I just have to move the view over every time to see the stuff. If that darn list of other boards was on the right side of the screen it would be perfect.

I wrote to them and explained how it would be more user friendly to have that list of other boards on the right. I am hoping that it's on their list of things to fix.

16. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Tandy - Your user name and password will work there. All you have to do is go there and sign in as usual.

Elaine - to open two windows in Internet Explorer, you just click the IE icon and go to this site. Then click the icon again and a second window will open. Go to this site on it too. Now, down on the bottom of the screen in the task bar, you will see that you have the 2 buttons to click between windows. Read on one, reply on the other. So simple, you will wish you had just asked sooner.

If you want to see BOTH windows AT ONCE, you can resize each window and line them up side-by-side. (This is easy. It just looks complicated when it is all written out in words. Do it as you read this.)

Go to the very upper right corner where the minimize button (-), the close window button (X), and either the square OR 2 overlapping squares buttons are.

You want to click that middle button till you have the single square icon so you can resize your window.

Now, move your mouse to the VERY EDGE of the screen on either side till your cursor turns into an arrow with a point on both ends.

When you see that resize arrow, left click the mouse, hold it down, and drag the window smaller till it is only half as wide as your monitor screen.

Then move the whole window to one side of the screen by left clicking on the very top of the window where it says Microsoft Internet Explorer, and dragging the window over.

Now, go to the second window you opened and do the same thing. Resize that window and drag it to the OPPOSITE side of the screen. You should have one half-sized window on the right and the other half-sized window on the left. You can see them both at once, and click and type and move between pages on one without effecting the other window.

This is great when you want to reply to a whole bunch of people, but can't remember who said what.

Once you achieve this, you will receive your official "Computer Nerd" cap and "Acronym Decoder Ring" in the mail!

Good Luck!
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Oh, I will be going to the old boarad even though the old one was easier and quicker to navigate. I am using it now so as to try and get used to it. I know it has glitches and hope they weill get wored on as the editing problem for one.

Hope to see you all there.

18. kbak

kbak Member

What choice do we have. If we want to stay with the group we move. I probably won't visit as often. It's not designed for us in mind as much as for the advertising.