Will FINALLY get complete Thyroid panel done

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Sep 28, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Finally, after requesting a referral to an endo, who, by the way isn't taking new patients, my family doctor is ordering a full thyroid test for me.

I don't know why he didn't offer to do this when I went to him for a referral.
    Maybe he was just being polite and giving in to my request, as he is very understanding and compliant about my requests. I guess he figures I probably know more of what to look for than he does about all this FM related stuff, as I told him several times I do a lot of reading and get advice (on here from all of you wonderful friends)!!!!
    First I have to ask if it's ok to get the blood drawn soon. Would a cortisone injection give accurated results, I wonder???? Anyone know?

Loto
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

If you have a choice, it would be best to have the blood draw done before a steroid injection.

The reason for this is that a complete thyroid panel usually includes a thyroid antibodies panel. Steroids can quell an the autoimmune response that produces antibodies (if that is occurring) & make it look like things are normal. Steroids also interact with the thyroid, thyroid hormone, and thyroid hormone receptors throughout the body, to some extent.

If you're on a regular schedule of cortisone injections, or have recently had one, I'd advise waiting to have the complete panel run. The lab order should be good for a while.

Best wishes.
  3. loto

loto Member

thanks for telling me this. I had the injection yesterday, and called the doctor's office today to ask them if i should still get blood drawn for the test, and they said it won't effect anything. I was kind of expecting that answer from them!

So, I think I will wait. Wonder if a week will be long enough?? I'm just anxious to see some results, and hopefully get some kind of treatment.

loto
  4. loto

loto Member

thanks for telling me this. I had the injection yesterday, and called the doctor's office today to ask them if i should still get blood drawn for the test, and they said it won't effect anything. I was kind of expecting that answer from them!

So, I think I will wait. Wonder if a week will be long enough?? I'm just anxious to see some results, and hopefully get some kind of treatment.

loto