will high (mountain) altitude bother me? does it bother you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Rrrr, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

hi all,

will high (mountain) altitude bother me? does it bother you?

i have an opportunity to go to a high mountain (8500 feet) location (to try a mold-free existence--and experiment i need to try soon, somewhere!), but not sure if the altitude will bother me too much to do this there.

i'll be there for 2 weeks. would the high altitude only bother me for a day or two?

what has yr experience been with high altitude?

rivka
  2. cct

cct New Member

It bothers me!

I tried to drive up an aditional 1000 feet in altitude a couple of weeks ago and I had to turn around and drive back home.

The change in altitude made me feel very disoriented and light-headed.

3. kbak

kbak Member

rivka,
    Yes If you are not from a high altitude it's going to bother you. Even people that are healthy have a hard time with altitude changes.

It takes weeks to ajust to altitude. I live out west. The only thing I can recommend is that you right now start taking vitamin E because it helps thin your blood which helps with altitude. If you are all at risk for a stroke or heart attack going to that altitude is very dangerous.

If you go be sure to drink lots of water, rest often.

Good luck,
    kbak
  4. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

thanks for your thoughts. hmmmm. have any of you tried a hyberberic chamber to help with altitude adjustment?
  5. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

And I live here in Colorado at 6500 feet but when I go to the mountains lately at 9,000 to 10,000 feet and above I start hurting (worse than normal) and I also get a severe headache. And no I don't have high blood pressure. It's just that as the pain gets worse with this lovely condition as the years go by.
    Even healthy people have a hard time dealing with the altitude here. If you watch football just about every football player from a lower elevation is on oxygen. They even told my Mother to leave when she was alive to go to a lower elevation because of her blood pressure and I have another friend that had to move to Nevada because her RA was so bad.
    So, I guess its all up to you- you could be different and feel nothing but lightheadedness and being tired. Who knows! Good luck with whatever you decide.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm from Colorado as well. We're only at 5000 ft. but when we have visitors from out of town that want to go to the mountains, we make sure that they stay at our level for at least a couple of days before heading to the mountains.
    Altitude sickness is no fun. A normal person it would probably only bother for a few days, but it can be a few miserable days. Bad headaches, light headedness, some people get nauseous - stomach aches- hard time breathing. I certainly wouldn't do anything that would exert yourself.
    Drink plenty of water.

Read up about high altitude and altitude sickness before you go.

The mountains (at least here in Colorado) are absolutely incredible. I would hate to tell someone not to experience such majesty. Take necessary precautions.

Where are you going? Do you have an opportunity to stay somewhere lower for a night or two to acclamate?

Janalynn

7. tooks

tooks Member

I personally find I am OK at 5000 or 7000 feet but when I was up to 10,000 a few times it felt like I weighed 500 lbs and I could only walk a few yards.

I know there are homeopathic remedies you can take beforehad that help a lot, but I can't remember what they are--maybe someone else knows.

Still, it would be great to try mold free living. Whenever I traveled through the high and dry plains in South Africa, I felt like a new person.

I'd say try it but look for some homeo or other help for altitude sickness.

Susan
  8. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

still trying to figure this out, but i think i will attempt this trip.

it is to a mountain apartment above telluride, CO (9500 feet) and the goal is to do a mold-free experiment. the (donated) apartment 'm going to has been found to be relatively mold-free by someone who is mold-sensitive. so that is a HUGE plus. (otherwise, i could go elsewhere and not be sure it is mold-free.)

so i'd go there and see how i feel in a mold-free area, but the real test re: mold is that i'd see how i do when i return home. see if i get sicker from my moldy smelling home.

to answer some of yr questions:

1. Jam: Yes, i have lyme, too.
    2. Janalynn: no, i don't have anywhere to go/stay for a night or so before hand, along the way, to help acclamation to the altitude. that is a good idea. i'll be either flying into montrose, CO or Durango, CO. can you suggest a cheap place to stay overnight? i suppose any hotel will do?

rivka

9. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

That's a very high altitude.
    You can get bad headaches, throw up, feel weak, lightheaded etc. It takes about 3 weeks to make enough hemoglobin to adjust.
    Yes you can do hyperbaric sessions to help take away a bad altitude headache. But it's not going to overall help you adjust.
    There has to be a mold free place that is at a lower altitude.
    I personally think this is not a good idea, especially to commit with plane flights and rent etc, you could end up feeling quite sick for a few weeks. You wouldn't really be able to tell if you felt better until you'd made enough hemoglobin to adjust, that is 3 weeks, but from what I understand of people who've moved to high altitude, it really takes months to completely adjust the body.
    In addition, didn't you have POTS problems previously? You don't seem a good candidate for an altitude experiment even if that has improved.
    If you want to be mold free you could try camping at a lower altitude in the desert--Las Cruces or something. Even there your body will react. That's 4000 feet. Maybe Tucson is ideal. That's 2000 feet and very dry.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  10. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

Hi everyone and jenbrooks,

what i like about this place for doing my mold-free experiment is that it is being donated to me, and money is an issue in my world. and more importantly, it is known to be relatively mold-free because it was tested out by a mold sensitive person. these are two strong arguments for trying this place out. if i go elsewhere, it would not be known to be mold free. and thus the experiment would be worthless.

also, i think camping for 2 weeks would be too hard on me.

this experiment is not to see if i am better while *there* (in the mold free place) as much as to see if i get sicker upon re-entering my house when i get back.

it would be a frequent flyer tix, so i think i could change the date and come home early, if needed, if the altitude bothered me.

i have in the past spent time at 8800 feet and not had problems. but that was before CFS!

i'm thinking of doing it, and using the hyperbaric chamber once, as soon as i arrive.

and my doc recommended the drug Diamox, too. has anyone tried that drug? apparently it is used for high altitude stuff.

i'd also try to spend one night mid-way up (up in terms of the altitude) before getting to telluride. anyone live near montrose or durango and want to put me up for a night, or can recommend a reasonable hotel?

obviously i'm still thinking about all this and seeing if it is doable.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YR INPUT.

r

11. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

You seem to have convinced yourself, so good luck.
    I think Lisa is a terrific person, a pioneer etc.
    However I highly doubt that most people need extreme mold avoidance, in the way you are trying. Did you call Mary Beth Short-Ray? You seem to have a winning way with doctors and getting people to talk to you, maybe you should ask her advice.

Have you done an ERMI test on your place anyway to see if there is substantial mold and what it is?
    Did you get substantially sicker in your place after you moved in?
    Do you feel better when you're away, period?
    I noticed a difference even just shutting off a moldy room and creating negative air pressure in there and using fans in the other two rooms, a total cost of a whopping $80.

If you feel like a vacation why not, but...you might as easily find out spending a few weeks at your boyfriend's or your Mom's. Extreme mold avoidance, with the idea that you have to pitch and ditch all your belongings and carry no spores anywhere, is for the unlucky extreme end of the bellcurve esp those exposed to poison mold as Lisa calls it, or stachy.

I know what it is like to want to move restlessly from cure to cure, none of the cures working. Have you abandoned the methylation/Yasko stuff? Did that help you at all?

By the way, before lyme, I could travel from NY to Santa Fe (7000-7500 feet) and get one migraine upon arriving and then mostly feel fine although a little lightheaded and craving steaks and oddly, broccoli, for the first couple weeks. After lyme/babesia, when I went to Santa Fe, I had to use the hyperbaric mild chamber every few days. I got awful headaches. I adjusted after a few weeks and then it was time to come home. Oh and one more thing, altitude sickness and blood sugar seem related at least for me, ice cream always helped.
  12. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

i like the idea of ice cream helping. :) maybe broc ice cream?

still doing methylation/yasko protocol. still plotting along there. some ups and some downs.

about to get a mold inspection of my place. and do some samples. i know i have mold in it. i can smell it. just not sure what kind of mold.

have not felt better away from my place, but then again i bring all my (mold covered) clothes with me.

did not get sicker upon moving in here.

and yes, i'm trying the so-called "extreme mold avoidance" experiment on purpose. it seems extreme to leave everything behind for a few weeks, including getting new clothes, but that is what this experiment is all about. why not try it, is what i think. just WHERE to try it is the issue.

thanks for yr thoughts. i still don't know what i'll do re: telluride. still thinking it all out!
  13. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

First, as I said, it seems that extreme mold avoidance is for people who:

1) Have a poison mold in their place like stachy
    2) Are genetically sensitive to it and/or also have other biotoxin problems (lyme etc)

If you read Mary Beth-Short Ray's book, she began to experience symptoms raking leaves. It turned out her home had aspergillus (which *is* pretty problematic and I have a feeilng some is in my apartment walls too just a hunch) and she remediated. She did not leave her home or do extreme mold avoidance. Her office had stachy and she left it. I don't know that she was there long enough to damage her system, and create permanent issues with stachy (as perhaps may have happened with Lisa, who lived in her stachy house for years getting sick, and may have to rigorously avoid it in the future. It's great Lisa found out what was making her so ill. Forbearance, too, had stachy in her apartment.)

If your home is extensively molded, after years of exposure, you probably cannot remediate. Jeffrey May can probably help with that.

Another issue with what you're doing: Yes the altitude may affect you and how can you tell the difference btw the fatigue of lyme and the fatigue of mold and the fatigue and weakness of altitude?

Another issue: You may just feel better away, with a change of scene, the adrenaline rush, the beauty of Telluride etc. How can you tell how the mind/body effect is working? Similarly, coming home, how will you really know what is a mold reaction?

I am sure I have mold issues and have had for ages. My mold symptoms have included at various times, sore throats, upper respiratory problems, sinus problems, fatigue, itchiness, irritability, moodiness etc. I clear up quickly when I leave the mold environment--sometimes in hours. This was true in a home in Puerto Rico, in a home in Santa Fe, and in my ex husband's home. My symptoms are worse on humid days when the wall cavities of the building are probably sporulating (my apartment). Do you notice lots of upper respiratory symptoms? Did you feel noticeably worse after cleaning up your basement? Before you try extreme mold avoidance, you could keep a diary and try to make connections. Again, stachy is not super rare, but a stachy infestation is not garden variety normal either.

I just have watched your posts where you travel to different practitioners and try different things. I know in the past I followed such impulses, driven by the despair of chronic lyme and an urgency, but usually I wasted my time with this impatient "hope" and sometimes I screwed myself royally (salt/c).

So I'd suggest a talk with Mary-Beth Short Ray before you embark on this--unless of course it's basically a vacation billed as extreme mold avoidance ;)
  14. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

thanks for your input. yes, i have already given lots of thought to all the issues you raised. and still thinking about many of them. :)
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

from what I understand, can be anywhere.

and it can take some time to get used to higher elevation. 5 years ago I went to Santa Fe and felt fine - likely because I didn't have a headache the whole time...

Now that I've moved to an altitude of about 6800', it did take me about 3 weeks to adjust. BUT that was also after a huge push to get packed/moved and 4 days of hellacious driving with 4 dogs for 2,000 miles, so not sure how much did what to me.

I am really curious as to how the winter will or will not affect me, as it will be the dry season here (I'm in the mountains of mexico)... so no quick high/low pressure areas moving thru... possibly less mold too if that's what I'm susceptible too, tho never could figure it out.

all the best,
    Victoria
  16. GoWest

GoWest New Member

Rivka,
    I have Lyme and have been treated for it for a few years. We live in Las Vegas and routinely, every month or so, go up to Mt. Charleston which is about 7500 ft where I stay. I have been at higher altitudes in New Mexico and up at Lake Tahoe. I do not have a problem with altitude any more than I did years ago when I was 16 and healthy. Anyone will run out of air and feel achy if they climb stairs or run around at a high altitude. Some people get very sick, and they don't have Lyme.

You really need to be aware of what altitude sickness looks like. Some people get it, others do not. No one in my family has ever had a problem. If you develop it you need to have a way to get back down the mountains fast.

Otherwise, I would say the mold is the bigger risk and you should try to get away from it. Just realize that the altitude problem could confuse the issue.

Paula Carnes
  17. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

You are going to love it there. I really think all you need is a couple days rest when you get there. Sounds like you are going to enjoy yourself. If going in the winter make sure your careful in the snow! The last time I was there was in a semi going up a very steep mountain! I was scared to death (because I wasn't driving) and I'm a native, lived here most of my life.
    Lived in PA for a while after I got married and then MO after my Dad died. I always come back to the mountains. Love the snow and the deeper it gets the better!
    Hope you have a great time here in our lovely state! Take care...
  18. lavenderwings

lavenderwings New Member

We went to Yellowstone this summer I was NOT feeling well there. Headache nausea, out of breath, my heart was pounding at every step I took of course my hips started to hurt as well I hurt so bad I could not help pack up. I just felt icky.
    Then we went over to the Grand Tetons OOO that place is pretty!!! Anyways, we went down in elevation a bit and I felt better. I could walk/hike all over and was ok but it was HOT there LOL.
    I hope you dont have any problems.
  19. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I hope that you have a nice , restful time !

Some of the advice here is right-on . I went mountain climbing (can't believe I said that . I can hardly walk now) anyway , please take the advice of people at hight altitudes. When I went that high , I didn't drink or eat enough and got one of the worst migraines in my life , along with nausea. Eating and drinking (non-alchoholic) fluids will help alot.

Have a good time !

Holly
  20. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

thanks all for yr input. i'll be going! and i'll do a hyperbaric chamber session as a preventative tool before i get too high in altitude.