Will it get easier??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amagirl, Mar 5, 2012.

1. amagirl

amagirl New Member

Twelve months ago I was cycling 120km and today I am struggling to walk from my car to the supermarket. I hope this whole thing gets easier.
    Wanted to post on my wall on facebook but didn't want all the questions from those that don't know.....:)
    Feeling a little alone.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board. I'm glad you found us. I'm so sorry for the drastic change to your health. Our illness are so unpredictible and we are all so different that it's impossible to tell how each of us will progress. Some have strong flares which go away indefinitely; my Mom's FMS was like this. For me, it's been progressive. After many treatment options, I finally got my pain and exhaustion under some control. Then, I got Sjogren's Syndrome and had to quit my part-time job. I'm now taking peptide injections which seem to hold out the best chance of healing but I'm only four months into a year-long treatment protocol.

Many here have been helped with various other things. This is the best place to find others who understand and who will share what has helped them. Also, we have a Library with many very good articles. The Store here sells supplements designed just for our symptoms and they are of the highest quality and are priced very well.

I would never have been able to get out of bed and off Morphine without the help I've received here. I wish you the best. Don't give up. It may take some research and trying various treatments but most of us have found things which work or make it easier to live with what ails us. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2012]
  3. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Wow, does it get easier? Now there's a question. In hindsight, some years are better than others, don't think there's any rhyme or reason to why. All you can do is take it a day at a time, and find out as much as you can, find what medication (if you take it) works best for you, and stay in touch with those of us that have it otherwise it can be very issolating, i mean people can sympathise but, only someone suffering the same condition as you 'knows.'

all the best x
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Welcome to our "club"

Like the others have said we all handle this illness in various ways~~so many things can affect how we feel. Just have to take it one day at a time.

6 years ago I worked 40 plus hours a week in a Social Service type job and it was very stressful. I was fired about a year after I was diagnosed with Fibro. I just couldn't keep up that crazy pace anymore and remember alot of details. It took me a long time, to forgive myself for doing stupid things.

I work 2 part time jobs now at about 28-30 hours a week. Sometimes I feel like it is too much, but I have to keep going.

Learning to pace yourself is very important and taking a rest break in between chores is a good thing.

Take care.

5. amagirl

amagirl New Member

thanks to all of you for your warm welcomes, encouragement and support.
    I see I have a lot of adjustment to do both physically and emotionally.
    I can relate well to Bead as I am working a 40 hour job in front of a computer in a support role that is quite hectic. Have had acute neck and shoulder pain for 12 months and have been seeing a physio but it has not improved. It was due to him that I was tested for FM and I have now reduced my work hours to 30 per week, at least for now. Over the last month the fatigue has hit me hard and the increased pain in other areas such as my legs and it is very difficult to focus at work.

I am hoping to get back to where i was 12 months ago, when I didn't even know what it was but knew something wasn't quite right......at least it was managable.

Thanks again and take care all of you.
    Amanda xx
  6. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I agree with everything everyone else has said. I think it does get easier, but in different ways. One of the biggest that I had to learn was attitude adjustment. Trying to be positive ALL the time is unrealistic - even God Himself had some bad days and said "That's It! Game Over!" and the world got a lot soggier! LOL! Or so I've heard - I wasn't around then, no matter WHAT my kids tell you!

Most importantly, LEARN. Learn everything you can. I was diagnosed in 1992 and back then there was precious little on the subject. Thousands of pills later, I not only have FM, but drug-induced hepatitis and a host of other ailments. Had I known, I would NEVER have listened to the doctors or taken the deadly combos they had me on (a lot of the drugs were taken off the market).

Take control of your own health care plan. Doctors tend to think YOU work for THEM. Not so! I make mine WORK for my money, even if it comes from the insurance company. Even if they graduated from Harvard, with degrees that could wallpaper a 5 bedroom house entirely, they CANNOT live inside your body. They CANNOT tell you how YOU feel. And if it feels WRONG to you, DON'T DO IT! I got into it with my doctor, who got huffy with me, and I said this: "If I died tomorrow, you would feel a little remorseful, for maybe, about a week. Then you would forget about me completely and move on. However, MY family would be crushed for years. I am the leader, the adviser, the one who everyone relies on to make things work. Sometimes, I wish it weren't so. But it is what it is. You aren't living MY life. I am. And that's how it is."

And remember to LIVE. Laugh, love, smile, cry, giggle, scream, stomp, sigh, snort and howl. Someone WILL understand! Who? WE DO!

Hugs and welcome,
  7. babysnake

babysnake New Member

I really em. I cured through long-term exercising. I know is hard to believe and when the lady doctor told me it was the last thing i wanted to do but i did it and it worked. Watch my post on "what worked for me" thread of today 10.03.2012.

It is a long post.

All the best
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2012]
  8. halfacre2

halfacre2 New Member

It is a huge ajustment from going to helathy to not being able to hardly walk. I have been there too. It really messes with your mind. You must stay determined to fight for your health. Like others have said, take each day at a time, and believe that there will be better days ahead. Sometimes I have ask myself, what is in this that I need to learn from? That may not always be the case for everyone but for me there was always a lesson I needed to learn as I reflect back. Prayer always helps and realizing that He has a plan for our lives even if it is not what we planned for ourselfs. Love to hear more from you.