Will making under 700 a month trigger one of those "review type" audits?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, May 11, 2012.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I have been sick since 2006 and have never received one of those forms where they ask if you are in school , how you are doing etc.

I just started part time school this year. I was told that school would not count against me. However, I am thinking of making 700 or less a month in addition to school. Would that trigger one of those mailed "review" forms that are supposed to come every few years ? I've been lucky to have NEVER received one and am nervous about the school question and now am worried about both school and getting a job that makes less than 700 a month.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2012]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2012]
  2. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I get SSD and have been for 6 years. I have NEVER received one of those forms, never once been asked what I do (I run a small pet sitting service) and I have taken classes at the community college. It may be the fact that I live in a small town in Alaska, but Uncle Sam can find you anywhere. I also volunteer with wildlife rescue. I think you will be just fine.
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I get a samll amount from SSDI every month, and I have been told that I can work up to 10 hours a week with out having it affect what SS sends me. I have never recieved any forms about that.

I have taken class's and I have not had a bit of trouble from SSDI. My biggest issue is that I don't make much. I guess I didn't work full time enough as I get $475.00 and after taking out my tax's and medicare payment I bring home a tidy sum of $322.10. I would love to increse it but it is not going to happen. And It has been so long since I worked as a Dental assistant to try and find a part part time job.
    Wish you luck.
    Gentle hugs.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SSA.gov and you can see what the income limit is for working part time.

As far as school, I don't think it triggers a questionnaire. Those questionnaires can come at any time. I only got one and it came before I went back to work part time. I went thru the Ticket To Work program which is designed to try to get people off SSD and back to work full time. They put no pressure on me to work more and going thru the system seemed to cause less problems than going it on my own, even tho I did find my job on my own.

Just keep one thing in mind: The way to keep SSD is to show that one is too sick to do any kind of "meaningful" work. It is OK to go to school or take training if you present it as an attempt to improve your chances of ever getting back to work. I wouldn't go to school full time, though. They will think if you can do that, you can work.

SSD is not logical; it's a game. The sooner one learns the "rules," the better off one is. They always assume we are slackers and it is up to us not to give them any reason to pursue this in our own cases. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Hi Rosemarie,

that's good to know. I think you mean to say ssdi , not ssd. Your post was the first time that I heard you can work 10 hours a week. I had not known and just assumed it was less than 720 before it counts as part of that 9 month trial period which I want to save and wait on that for a few years.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ah, the alphabet soup of SS. SSD and SSDI are the same thing--Social Security Disability and Social Security Disability Insurance. SSI is supplemental income for those who qualify. It may also pay one's Medicare Part B.

Love, Mikie
  7. wildflowers23

wildflowers23 Member

If, you take ONLY ONE class it should be ok.BUT, if you take more then yes it will cause a review.

I was not working or going to school and I got my review form 18 months after I got my SSDI !!!!

That was just this past Aug.2011 got my ssdi in 2009
  8. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I too got a review form less than two years after winning disability. I figured the government has deficits and is trying to weed out those who no longer qualify. I was concerned but in the next month I got a letter stating that my benefits would continue as I am still totally disabled according to my medical file with my doctor. That was a relief.
  9. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Go to the very bottom of the SSA (Social Security Administration) link below where it discusses disability beneficiaries. SSA states you must report all income, no matter how small, to SSA (and undoubtedly it will be considered a work effort). http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10003.html#a0=1

When you are approved for SSD (Social Security Disablity-- be it SSDI or SSI or both), SSA typically calendars your review usually based on the severity of the disability/disabilities and the likelihood of medical improvement.

They never consider you permanently disabled (unless you are terminal, but they will still schedule reviews then too) and that is why they continue to do the reviews looking for medical improvement that will allow them to remove you from SSD and you can go get a job or until you get to retirement age and it automatically shifts over to regular Social Security retirement.

But know that SSA can review you at any time. You can usually expect a review after a work effort because it is to their advantage to see if you have improved medically enough to work, what work you were doing, and how you did medically while working and were you able to perform the work (or did you get sick and have to leave most days or did you have to quit because you could not perform the job, etc.).

Watch with school because they may want to know how you got there (public transportation can be rough with standing and waiting for some of us), then the places to sit at school can be so bad that most of us could only do school online, if even that. Then if you can do school and assignments online, they might consider that you can do actually employed work online. Remember that homework also counts as time put forth for school. So you may attend for X hours, but then you may have an additional X hours of homework each week too.

You only have to talk to claimants or those who have been terminated and appealing that are in hearings for benefits to understand how tough and silly SSA can get involving your abilities, and what jobs THEY FEEL you could now do.

REMEMBER--SSA is always looking for improvement in you medically as potential grounds for removing you from receiving any type of SSD. Just be really careful.

By the way, SSA has had a huge boom in claims that include an unexpected amount from those in the younger groups like in the age group 20's, 30's, etc. I read a while back that this overwhelming large increase in claims may be due to unemployment benefits ending and then people instead trying for SSD--but whatever the reason, SSA is trying to reduce the amount of people receiving SSD.

[This Message was Edited on 05/18/2012]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The key to keeping SSD, SSDI is to show that your disabilities keep you from being able to do any kind of "meaningful" work. That means you can work and earn so much before you lose your benefits. It changes every year and the rules about it are not easy to understand. If you work, it is good for them to know that your employer makes special adjustments to accommodate your disabilities. Employers who hire people on SSD,SSDI get special tax benefits. In my case, my hours were adjusted and I was not required to lift anything heavy nor bend or kneel.

Always keep in mind that SS wants people off SSD, SSDI and SSI. This puts us in a difficult position. Most of us would like to work and most of us would like to get better but if we try too hard, SS will take advantage of that. Many of us can handle part time work if accommodations are made but we will likely never be able to work full time at what SS calls "meaningful" work. Going to school is even riskier. If SS thinks we are making an effort to get back to work, they like it but we have to walk the tightrope between being disabled and fully able to work. SS doesn't seem to understand the gray area in between. Just don't give them a reason to yank benefits. Keep up with doc appts. to document ongoing disabilities.

Love, Mikie
  11. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I so agree that SSA has trouble recognizing the gray areas and sees everything as black and white.

I also wanted to mention something I have noted locally. Twice within a few years, I have seen SSA advertise locally for employees within disabled groups and now they advertised for help wihin a group that has spinal cord injuries (and they are paralyzed in power chairs, with oxygen, and need many accommodations just to live every day).

I have a gut feeling all this may be a potential limited test. If SSA can actually succeed with some employees from these groups (also depends on how "succeed" is defined, then SSA may move before Congress eventually to raise the bar higher as to what constitutes disabilities for SSD. This would eliminate some of the disabilities that exist and help reduce their budget at the same time, but not help the disabled. Remember that Congress has been hitting at Social Security like it is a luxury item, instead of something that we have contributed to for so many years and depend on for help.

It leaves open the door somewhere in the future at an SSA hearing for an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge ) to tell a claimant's attorney that his client is denied because after all SSA is already employing people/someone that has spinal cord injuries, is paralyzed, on oxygen, etc. or SSA is employing someone with fibo, etc., SSA is employing someone with (fill in the disabiilty). This would begin to break the list of SSA disabilies that qualify for disabled to get SSD.

Stay tuned. I hope eventually the results of the hiring advertising among the disabled will leak out.