Will our SSD monthly amount change when we hit retirement age?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb_46, Feb 6, 2010.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Just wondering how that works. I'm going through a divorce and my attorney seemed to think my check would get reduced at that time since won't have been paying in. Lord I hope not, barely making it now.

Deb
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I can't help you with an answer, but you could call Social Security Adm. and ask them, I'm sure they would tell you.

I know if you've been married long enough, you could collect on your husband's SS if it's more than yours will be, I think. But that's on the regular Soc Sec and not disability.

Way too many rules to remember! LOL

3. sascha

sascha Member

if my situation applies to you, and i understand your question

i was on disability for a few years and when i turned 65 the designation changed over from disability to retirement and the amount didn't change at all. i don't know how a husband/ex-husband would factor into that, though. i was a widow at that time. Sascha
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

So you are currently receiving SSDI? The other poster was correct (I can't see her/his name as I type) - your benefits will stay the same when you hit retirement age. Your attorney shouldn't have hazarded a guess like that. He should have looked it up.

Here's a blurb from the SS website:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10153.html

"When you reach full retirement age

"If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same."

Mary
  5. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Geez, I couldn't imagine trying to make it on any less. Hopefully if my first claim gets approved my check should get raised some since my disability date will be changed.
    Thanks again

Deb