Will our SSD monthly amount change when we hit retirement age?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb_46, Feb 6, 2010.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Just wondering how that works. I'm going through a divorce and my attorney seemed to think my check would get reduced at that time since won't have been paying in. Lord I hope not, barely making it now.

2. JLH

JLH New Member

I can't help you with an answer, but you could call Social Security Adm. and ask them, I'm sure they would tell you.

I know if you've been married long enough, you could collect on your husband's SS if it's more than yours will be, I think. But that's on the regular Soc Sec and not disability.

Way too many rules to remember! LOL

3. sascha

sascha Member

if my situation applies to you, and i understand your question

i was on disability for a few years and when i turned 65 the designation changed over from disability to retirement and the amount didn't change at all. i don't know how a husband/ex-husband would factor into that, though. i was a widow at that time. Sascha
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

So you are currently receiving SSDI? The other poster was correct (I can't see her/his name as I type) - your benefits will stay the same when you hit retirement age. Your attorney shouldn't have hazarded a guess like that. He should have looked it up.

Here's a blurb from the SS website:

"When you reach full retirement age

"If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same."

5. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Geez, I couldn't imagine trying to make it on any less. Hopefully if my first claim gets approved my check should get raised some since my disability date will be changed.
    Thanks again