Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Dec 2, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

No, I am not talking about the number of windows in my apartment.

I am pretty sure I asked this before but thought I would ask it again since more time has passed.

How many have or have been contemplating getting Windows 7. I am thinking of getting it.

I may be showing my ignorance here but can you get Windows 7 with the Windows Updates or do you have to pay for it. I now have Windows XP and only have a few problems with it.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Mine was "A good time was had by all" and now I am into my second day of "This is what happens when a good time is had by all and you have this DD!!"

I ate extra food during Thanksgiving as I knew this would happen and wanted to keep up my strength. Uh, huh, and how many people will believe that?

This to shall pass.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Gap,

I don't know a whole lot about Windosw 7 or compuyters except that we abought it on our new computer when our other one croaked !~ All I can say now is that I like it fine. There have been no problems to speak of. I will probably know more whenI get my Family Tree Maker (my other one croaked and somehow got erased when my son who works in computers transferred what was left on my old computer). I am trying to figure out which version of FTM that will be compatible with the Windows 7.

Maybe I can tell you more about it once I find my FTM program and hopes that it will not only work well but that I can also understand it all. Hopefully I will find the one that will not only be compatible but also not to difficult for me to really fool with and get the most out of in my search for ancestors. I am so mad that I lost a bunch of files but I also do have alot I can copy from my paper files.

Wish I could help you more and sorry that I kind of got off the subject a bit for you. So far it is doing OK. However, unless you are having problems with what you have now you might want to wait some.

Yeah,the turkey was yummy wasn't it? We all need to keep up our strength esp if you love turkey.

3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I subscribed to a free newsletter (be careful because this newsletter also has a part where you can pay to subscribe to it) and it has been talking a lot about the migration to Windows 7 and some of the problems. The free home page is below and take a look and see if it would help you.
  4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I bought a new laptop the very day that windows 7 hit the market....I had a laptop with Vista before that...

I didn't like it the first day. It was very different from Vista. But now, I LOVE IT.... It loads so much faster, and shutdowns too. It is easier to navigate, there isn't all of the security crap that came with Vista, and the layout is nicer too.....

I think you will like it....
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

that it does load much faster than before (I had windows XP) andit was never this fast. I understand that the Vista had alot of problems. Loike anythinhg else it might take a bit to get used to since it isw new. However, in time I do think you will like it better.

Good luck and let us know if you get it.

6. kjade

kjade New Member

Gap -
    I just loaded windows 7 on my PC because our IT person at work suggested I do so. Personally, I hate it! I now get these pop-up windows constantly of "suggested sites". For instance, when I am on the Fibro board, I will get a pop-up in a new window with a search engine showing all these different sites about Fibromyalgia. I DON'T LIKE THIS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF IT! I have gone into settings and turned off the "suggested sites" feature, and they STILL keep popping up!

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know. I don't know if it's windows, or google or what doing this, but it never did it before I installed Windows 7. It is REALLY annoying. And I have pop-ups blocked so I don't know what to do to fix it.

I didn't have to pay anything for it, I just downloaded it from the Microsoft website.
  7. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I don't know what you downloaded, but windows upgrade to windows 7 is NOT FREE. It cost, UNLESS you recently bought a new compute and it didn't have windows 7 on it, then you were eligible for a free upgrade. Otherwise you pay for it.

I have no idea what kind of a pop up it is either. I have windows 7 I run firefox and IE(at times) and I don't have any pop ups at all.....None, nada......
  8. kjade

kjade New Member

I am such an idiot! It is not Windows 7 that we installed------it was Internet Explorer 7 (or was it 8?) I just realized that. So I guess we can just ignore my previous post. lol
    But thank you for the info! I am slowly learning everyday about computers (you'd think I'd be an expert by now after so many years.)

PS...Diane, thank you for that info - I am definitely going to try that when I get home. Others keep telling me I should switch to Firefox, which I have tried, but I just couldn't get used to it.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/07/2009]
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have FireFox on my desktop. I have no idea what it is. It is so confusing between Windows, Internet Explorer with all the numbers attached.

My SIL also recommended FireFox. It is just so hard to keep up with everything. I guess you have to be under 20, LOL

Maybe I can find a teenager to teach me about all these new electronic gizmos. I don't even know what twitter is and how it is different from texting or IM. Then there are the phones. I like mine that just makes calls.

However, I did see one that someone was showing me that was kind of impressive. But the monthly fees were outrageous and not sure I would use all the features. With my fine motor skills, I would have difficulty texting.

My spell check does not even recognize the word "texting". It wanted to change it to "testing"!!