Wine and Sleep

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My docs want me to have a beer or glass of wine a day but I've not been doing it. I always thought it disrupted my sleep. Ever since std. time returned, I had been getting up at 3:00 to 4:00 in the morning--yikes! Well, when my daughter visited, we drank wine in the evenings. I started to sleep like a baby until at least 5:00. I've started to drink a glass of wine and it's helping me sleep so much better. Our sleeping habits seem to change over time and are affected by the time changes. I'm so grateful to be sleeping better and now know that I need to experiment a bit now and then and not just assume what was true in the past is still true.

Love, Mikie
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So glad that the wine is helping to sleep . I just try not to have wine to close to bedtime for me as I am taking 1/2 gen. Klonopin and a Flexeril before bed. Not sure that was a good thing to be taken so close together. However, sometimes it happens if we are out to eat and have some wine. Eating big dinners late doesn't always work either, to help you sleep well

What time do you usually go to bed and try and sleep :)!!.

HAPPY tURKEY DAY. Are you going out or having company?

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Happy Thanksgiving!

Of course, my doc really prefers red wine for me due to the benefits of it but I like whine wines better except for Cabernet. I like most all white wines from dry to the sweet German wines. I don't always eat dinner but I may have a snack of wine, crackers, cheese and fruit.

I have been having a hard time staying awake in the evenings and I'm sure that accounts for my wanting to wake early. If I want to stay awake, I have to watch TV in the livingroom. If I go to bed to watch TV in the bedroom, I'll drift off in a NY minute.

I think one needs to be sure one's doc knows what meds one is taking when adding alcohol to the mix. I do take 1 mg. of Klonopin but by the time I take it, the alcohol is probably long gone. I only drink one glass. The doc is good with this but I would advise anyone to discuss this with his or her own doc. Thankfully, when I do drop off early, I always wake between 11:00 p.m. and midnight to take my Cozaar and Klonopin.

My hope is that everyone is having a good Thanksgiving. I stayed home alone even though I had invitations from friends and neighbors. I like having leftovers and I wanted a quiet day. I got a turkey breast and just made Stove Top stuffing with dried cherries and pecans in it. Mmmmmm! I'm just waiting for the original "Miracle on 34th Street" to come on.

I'm very thankful for all of you and this wonderful board of sweet and generous members.

Love, Mikie
  4. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Don't know if you remember me; been a long time since I've been here. Anyway, I have some news of an old member that I know you would want to know about but I can't post it for all the world to see. Is there a way that you could get into my account and email me? Or I email you?
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of course I remember you. Unfortunately, I cannot e-mail you except for PH moderating business nor can I give out my e-address. We could meet up in live chat but it's often difficult for me to make plans as I've really had my ups and downs with flaring lately. It's been like the best of times and the worst of times. If you want to meet up in live chat, let me know and we can try to schedule a time. Hope you are doing well. It's good to see you here again.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If a person were taking a bunch of meds which are sedatives and drank a lot, it could be dangerous but my nightly small dose of Klonopin and a glass of wine is OK. Of course, I agree that people need to check with their docs on these things. One thing I have found is that if you take activated charcoal before drinking, it isn't as hard on the liver, you don't get drunk and you don't have a hangover. I've had more than one glass and it still doesn't hurt me. I don't advise others to try this without speaking to their docs. Hmmmm, maybe I'll mention it to my doc next month to see what he thinks.

Yes, the wine does taste mighty good. Now and then, I have a beer with lunch. That's tasty too.

Love, Mikie
  7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

My experience with wine in the evening has changed over the years and not so much for the better. Although I must admit straight off that my intake is not usually as modest as yours. I'm not interested in ONE glass of wine; two is great and three is.....perfect. For years I have been able to imbibe this way for 3 or 4 nights out of the week.

Although I like and know "fine" wine, I judge most by "not bad" (finances, you know), and I drink for the little "let go" I feel, which is delicious and restorative. I also love to cook and enjoy my meals even more with the slightly elevated mood.

It has never had an effect on my sleep before (unless I go for FOUR glasses, which is definitely too much). My sleep is pretty effed up anyway and the wine didn't seem to matter one way or the other.

But, this year in my mid-60's, I've had to moderate; I can no longer drink 3 glasses without it definitely affecting my sleep in a way it never did before. I go to bed between 12 and 1 a.m., and it is hard to keep my eyes open that long, but I get better, more consolidated sleep by forcing myself to do so. Anyway, if I've had wine earlier, it is now a pretty sure bet that I will be stone-cold AWAKE a couple hours later and I do NOT go back to sleep even with medication (I take Klonopin).

I read that as we age, the body becomes less efficient at metabolizing alcohol and apparently that is what happened to me. What I read is that in the process of metabolizing (hours later), the body produces substances which are like a natural caffeine, and that is exactly what I was experiencing, a buzzed but sleepless state.

I realize I'm kind of off-subject, because you, Mikie, are talking about ONE glass (maybe two) of wine. I guess I've felt that my THREE glasses was equal to a more sensitive person's ONE glass, but apparently with this new way it impacts my sleep, I can no longer do the 3-glass. I honestly don't care enough to drink ONE glass and I know 2 can so easily lead to 3 (I drink for the "glow" and don't get it from one), so I'm looking at cutting out the grape altogether. Although if offered wine at dinners, I don't plan on turning it down.

Cheers and best wishes to those who can moderate and who've given themselves permission (and doctor's approval!) to enjoy this little pleasure!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think as we age, all kinds of changes affect us, including how our meds and alcohol make us feel and how we sleep. I'm sure that our livers get less and less efficient too.

Love, Mikie