Winter Solstice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The solstices and equinoxes always fell on the 21st but it seems now that they say it's the 22nd. Could be something to do with the international date line, but I digress... I still celebrate on the 21st. Today (or tomorrow) is the shortest day of the year and then, the Earth will start it's tilt, in relation to the sun its the orbit, toward the North. Some, especially those with SAD, get depressed at the thought of Winter and shorter days, but we will be heading into longer days now. Also, the Earth is closer to the sun in the Winter. A good time to get out on sunny days now.

A very Happy Winter's Solstice to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. paulac7

paulac7 Member

To you, too Mikie!!

And to everybody else, also!!

yep, yep--the days will slowly start getting longer now---though I do like the winter--we are under a 'Winter Weather Advisory...'

Paula >^.^<
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2012]
  3. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I'm about 60 miles NW of you in the mountains LOL...who knows what we will get--I hope we get a lot, as I'm kinda curious to see how well my truck goes with real tires instead of the racing slicks (bald) ones I had last winter.

I live on top of a ridge, so it's snowin and blowin pretty good up here...Was really windy last nite too--sounded like a freight train was coming thru!!

Take care and stay warm!!

Paula >^.^<
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2012]
  4. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Nice to 'meet' you too--haven't been on in awhile--had to get another computer, but this one is 'homemade', and it's a beast!!

I like to drive in the snow...too bad when we do get it, it seems everyone seems to forget how to drive, though...

I live NE of Pittsburgh, in the mountains :) yeah, all kinds of wildlife, both animal and human <grin>. Don't think I could live in a city if you paid me a million dollars...but that's just me..

Paula >^.^<
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What I wrote was incorrect. I know it's not the "thought" of less sunshine which causes SAD because I have it. Even though the sun shines a lot in CO, I feel so much better down here in the FL sunshine. However, every year in the fall in CO, I would get depressed just thinking about the shorter days to come. So technically, I wasn't correct but, for me, just thinking about no sun is depressing. I used to go to the tanning beds when I lived in CO to get more "sun."

Yes, thoughts of expensive car repairs is depressing too. Living with an old car means one is always waiting for something to go wrong, even with a Toyota. Toyotas will last almost forever. I expect this one to last the rest of my life but one has to take good care of any car one wants to last. I use synthetic oil and it has never missed an oil change but there is always a chance of something going wrong. I hope this is it for a while. I do love this vehicle.

Wishing good sunshine and cars which run to everyone. And, again, happy Solstice!

Love, Mikie