Winter time and I am outside barefoot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0808, Feb 7, 2009.

1. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I am soooo hot tonight I had to stand outside barefoot for 5 mins in just shorts and a little thin top!!!

I suffer horrendous Heat/Cold intolerance and it has been a problem for years now.

But tonight it is winter time in UK.Snow and ice.

I have been freezing cold this past week.........wearing 2 prs PJs with heating on all day and night and a hat on my head cos I was so cold!!!

I wish I knew how to help myself with this problem because my hubby are always moaning about me turning heat off.He is ok but I know it drives him mad and I feel sorry for him cos since he got his pacemaker fitted he feels the cold more.

Anyone got any ideas to help????

2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Funny I was thinking of you today as I am already dreading the summer!!

I can really relate to this - unfortunately apart from doing the same thing as you when I overheat, the only thing that gets me through the summer is sitting in front of my portable a/c unit in my living room and I have one in my bedroom too.

Don't you sooo envy those folks in the US with central air conditioning in their homes..?!

Love Bunchy x

PS Yes I am also either freezing or boiling - it's torture :(

((cooling hugs))
  3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

If I were you I'd get my hormones checked. If I forget my hormone creme i get bad hot flashes. I had a hystorectomy and went in menopause immeditely after surgery, it isn't fun, but can be treated. I have no idea how old you are, but it sure sounds like a hot flash to me. I sometimes freeze too. Then I usually have a fever, do you? It is usually in the early afternoon.
    Anyway, I hope you are feeling okay!

4. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I too am dreading summer Bunchy for the same reason.I always feel as though I am going to spontaneously combust!!

I have 2 portable air con units and fans on ceilings lol.Dont spend much on clothes because I dont wear much ....only loads of pjs in winter when the freeze gets me.

I wish we could find an answer because it is draining me.

I see you support Liverpool .......that is where I am from !!!!!!!!

Hi Kellyann
    I do not suffer hot flashes and nor did any of my 4 sisters(lucky us hey?)

They can not understand my problems but they do not have fibro so they wont lol.
    I did get tested and was ok.I think because you had hysterectomy you will suffer these flashes.I feel for you.

Take care

5. cordy250

cordy250 Member

as I have found myself in a similar situation.

I seem to have absolutely no ability to thermo-regulate LOL

I suffered from terrible hot flashes after my hysterectomy, but those have lessened after a dozen years. However, I still have terrible night sweats and have turned the heat down in the night so much that I actually had a pipe freeze!!

I am usually terribly cold around 4 in the afternoon for a while and sometimes when I am really not feeling well, but even though I put the heat up just a degree or two, I will be boiling later.

The one good thing is that I am able to save a great deal of fuel oil as my thermostats are seldom set at over 64 degrees and mostly lower.

I keep a bunch of thermometers around so I will know what the temp really is, not just how I feel. That helps avoid frozen pipes and getting the house so cold that I get really miserable waiting for it to heat up. I allow myself to put the heat up when the house temp gets down to 59.

Maybe you should invest in an electric blanket for your husband. They have ones that have two zones. Also, a fleece throw, worn like a shawl helps tons for cold, as does wearing a fleece beanie.

I actually wear a lot of clothes in the house, including a beanie most of the time so I can keep the temps low. It's better to take off my hat if I get too hot than to waste heat.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I am usually very cold when others are not. With cold for me, comes aches, tense muscles etc.
    But when I suddenly got hot, watch out.

I much prefer summer. I find it easier to cool off than to get warm. However, I have not experienced the Hot flashes associated with menopause which I have heard can be horrible. (much more than just being hot)

I'd def. check hormones or thyroid. I was just put on thyroid meds even though my labs have always come back good. Doc said a side effect might be heat-intolerance, however with me, I just may finally be normal (since I'm usually freezing)
  7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Yes "spontaneously combust" is how I feel but I also get increased neuropathy, extremely hot and painful hands and feet and a feeling that my head is detached from my body - in fact overheating about 9 years ago one hot summer in London for several days in a row is what gave me a serious downturn with my health.

I try to be very careful about the heat now and my dream is to move back to Devon where the summers are reasonably cool and where I originally came from. DH is gradually trying to work his way to achieving that for us but because of the credit crunch, the plans are being delayed.

Are you a footy fan? An Evertonian??? (help!) Or are you not interested in football? I became a fan as DH is a lifelong LFC supporter and in the end he converted me...LOL.

Maybe we can keep each other going in the summer meaning support each other if it gets hot.

BTW I am freezing right now but at least it doesn't have a dramatic impact on my health the way heat can.

Gentle warming or cooling hugs,

Bunchy xx