Winter - Vit D - Tanning bed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Megumi, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Hi all,

It's hitting me that winter is coming yet again and I'm not looking forward to it. Since moving to Indianapolis 3 years ago I have barely made it through a winter yet. Last year Dr determined it was acute vit D dificiency (my levels were zip). The supplements barely got me moving again.

I'm one of those rare lupus/fm people who thrive in the sun. My daughter has suggested tanning booths. Does anyone know anything about them? Do they help the skin make Vit D like the sun does? Is there a certain type of tanning bed to look for?

I'm finally feeling strong enough to go back to work. Got a job today that starts Aug 31. Tee hee....it's only a temp job, 4 months. Gee, maybe I can save enough up to beat it out of here for Jan and Feb?!? That would be too cool!!!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Megumi

2. JLH

JLH New Member

Can't help you with the Vit. D and tanning bed question.

I know the warmth of the tanning bed would help my aching bones and joints; however, will not go around them!!! Never would let my girls go either.

You certainly must be a "rare" lupus person if you thrive in the sun!! I have the systemic lupus and the sun makes me physically ill and really damages my skin!! As a result, I am very fair, stay in the a/c, and only go outside in the summer if I have to!!!

If supplements don't help your Vit. D deficiency, do they have injections that would work better? You do drink a lot of milk?

Congratulations on your job, even if it's only temp. That 4 months will take you up to Christmas!!

Good luck on your new job,
    Janet
  3. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Thank you both for sharing.

Janet = my sister and I both have systemic lupus. It's just as wierd as fm. I crave the sun, laugh I'm a tropics baby, go down hill quickly without it. My sister on the other hand can't tolerate it at all. If she's exposed for more than 20 minutes she gets sick, has to wear sunblock, full clothing cover and a hat, even sun through a car window can set her off. Other than the same flare symptoms and IBS, we also have totally different side conditions.

Stormskye - I know I don't like the idea of tanning booths either but the doctors have told me that being this high of latitudes the sun in winter is just not strong enough for me. Do you know the Jimmy Buffett song - Changes in Latitudes? Thatsa my song. I'm only here because of the grandkids.

Thank you both again. I'll have to check into that light.
  4. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Don't know about the vitamin D but I love going to the tanning bed. I went before I had FM for my osteo-arthur. The heat really made me feel better.

Good luck on your new job, four months sounds great, then you can take a nice long winter break and hibernate!

Hugz,
    Tona
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Tanning booths do help produce vitamin D as naturally as does the sun and are a good resource for people living in northern climates during the winter. Just remember to no lie under the UVB lights for longer than 15 minutes a session. The object shouldn't be to tan, but to help the body produce vitamin D.

A word of caution, don't use sunblock or suntan oil. Sometimes the suntan oil has UVA blockers and that could make you more at risk for melanoma, the serious skin cancer. Just limit your time to no more than 15 minutes.

Another measure to take is to continue supplements while you are using the UVB lighting.

Hope this helps.
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

on vit D, with articels and discussions on vit D. In that topic is a thread titled The Miracle of Vitamin D, where tanning beds, UVA and UVB, are written about.

Tansy
  7. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Thank you all for the advice. Tansy, I'll be checking out those articles.