Wiped Out After Shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I was told I had a mild case of shingles. I started with a sore the size of a quarter on my tailbone (this is the only spot I saw or felt.) It burned, stinged and was painful. I went to the dermatologist and he said it was the shingles and put me on 10 days of Valtrex and Bactoban ointment. My lymph nodes in my groin were slightly swollen and tender. Ok, I took the antiviral and it made me feel better. The sore is almost gone, BUT I still feel so tired, fatigued and wiped out. My FM is in a flare too. All this from the shingles???? Has anyone else had this virus and felt wiped out for a period of time? I hope this isn't permanent. I do have FM/CFS but I was considering myself a mild case until now. Please post if you have had this awful virus and how you felt.
    Thanks,
    Tania
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

My heart goes out for you because although I did not have the shingles, my husband did last year.
    It was not only painful but very exhausting and he was so fatigued and was sick for quite some time. On top of it the pain was so severe that he needed some very strong pain meds as well.
    I hope that you do not have to suffer for too long and wish you all the best. Lucky
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That the shingles can be stopped dead in their tracks if caught early enough now. There used to be nothing which could be done. Hope this medication stops this for you. It's a Catch 22. Usually when we let ourselves get too fatigued, we get Herpes viruses to reactivate in the body. Then, the immune system has to try to fight off the active infection, making us even more fatigued. Get all the rest you can.

Ice helps the Herpes virus in cold sores; I wonder whether it would do the same for Shingles. Might be worth a try.

Love, Mikie
  4. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Yes, ice does help soothe sometimes, take cool baths, hot water will make it more miserable. I usually get pretty mild outbreaks, about the size of a half dollar...I take more Vitamin C during those times, tea tree oil seems to speed up the healing time for me...ibuprofen normally cuts the pain somewhat for me. I've also made a paste out of asprin and water (forgot where I read about that one) and applied it to the blisters, seems to kill the pain a bit. So many new meds out though that are supposed to help...been meaning to check into them myself.

For the fatigue I really can't say what helps...I'm always so darn tired, so I really don't notice any difference anymore whether it's from a shingles outbreak or just another normal day.
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Thanks everyone for posting. I had mild pain, basically because I only had one spot. It's still tender, but not burning and stinging like before. I guess this anti-viral drug Valtrex is the key for the virus to subside. Just after a couple days my lymph node tenderness and the sick feeling went away. Does anyone know how the shingles (herpes zoster) virus gets activated again. Some say stress. I'm not in much stress, other than the stress I bring upon myself (thoughts and stuff). I guess you can say people with CFS have stressed out immune systems, but why now as far as the shingles instead of years ago? My Mom had the shingles twice--in her early forties and then again at 78. This is sure a strange illness!!!!
    Tania
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Using the whey and colostrum to try to build your immune system back up to try to prevent future outbreaks. Use Yoga, Tai Chi, and/or meditation to learn to relax. I finally had to take the Klonopin to make my anxiety/panic attacks go away. I had one very mild outbreak about 10 years ago when I worked for the Wicked Witch of the West. I usually just get cold sores.

I have to take Famvir, an anti-viral oral drug for Shingles, cold sores, and genital Herpes prior to my facial surgery on the 21st. They don't take any chances with spreading the Herpes virus if one is getting a cold sore. Be very careful with hand washing when you have an outbreak. The virus can be spread and if it gets in one's eye, it can cause blindness.

Love, Mikie