Wish me luck as I'm marching to the gallows...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juloo, May 20, 2008.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

Tonight is my son's music recital. I am playing accompaniment for him. I HATE PLAYING IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. I HATE RECITALS!!!! As long as I'm on stage with him, I'm fine, but I have soooooo many memories from my own recitals when I was a kid that I have trouble sitting still for this. And pile on top of that just getting myself and son ready (DH is going somewhere else to receive a civic award for some committee)...I'm stressing, and I don't want to stress.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to schedule a recital night for the week that kids have all their end-of-the-year projects due and prepping for finals, well, there's a special place you-know-where for them....

So, the smile goes on, and must last for three hours until I can take it off and am safely home.

I'm just hoping I remember my glasses so I can see the music...
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...you must be nervous you posted twice(LOL) Annie
  3. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

It's gonna be okay. Really, it will all be fine. Did you remember your glasses?

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What is your son doing? Singing? Playing something other than piano? Juggling? Sword...nah.

Well, don't forget your glasses. Maybe have a small glass of something before you go too.

Remember the old good luck ritual observed by pianists throughout the ages. Walk around the piano stool three times before sitting down. Then play the first 8 bars of Yankee Doodle Dandy.

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hope all goes well with you and your son. Try not to worry about it to much ! I know how it is since I also sing but usually in a group. So, that isn;t so bad. Is he singing or playing an instrument??

I hope all goes well for both of you. Let us know how it all turns out. I am sure it will turn out great but know youprobably will be thrilled when it is all over with too.

I like Rock's suggestions - maybe a little nip before you go (-: !!

God bless,

6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Oh my! Recitals are such a horrid memory. I did learn to play in front of people, but I never liked it. I will pray for you and your smile...

And...your fingers will be very sure and your son does well, also. Sounds like you have a very busy life.

What does he play...or is he singing? Hang in there. I'm sure once you hear your son doing well, the smile will be easy to maintain.

Please give us a report.

7. Juloo

Juloo Member

And my son, who played a trumpet solo, did just great. He hit all the notes, as if he'd been doing that all along, instead of flubbing here or there throughout all through the last week.

Whew! My part went fine as well -- a couple of little twiddles, but nothing to slow us down or bring attention to them.

And I was thankful to have remembered my glasses, the music, AND my fan ('cause it's hot, hot, hot! in that auditorium). I decided to take my glasses with a prescription for me to use on my computer, rather than my regular glasses, which are for distance. The bonus upside -- I couldn't see the audience, just the music!

And although I was really, really tempted, I skipped the 'nip' and went for a can of Diet Coke, so that I could focus.

Thank you all again for your well wishes. I think I'm going to sleep really well tonight!

P.S. Annie -- I actually posted THREE times and had to erase two!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2008]
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes !! It is over, thank goodnes.. Glad you both did well !! Great job !!

9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm sure you'll play brilliantly, it's lovely that you are accompanying your son.

10. poets

poets Member

I'm so glad the recital went O.k. I didn't read about it till it was already over. Sounds like you both did a fine job. I used to be petrified of getting up before an audience but for some reason now, it doesn't bother me as much. Guess I'm mellowing out in my old age!

11. Juloo

Juloo Member

It helped that the focus was on him.

I like singing in a choir or being in a concert band. Solo work has never been my forte' -- I'm too much of an introvert!
  12. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I so feel your pain! I would do anything to avoid playing the piano in front of people!

I am so impressed that you agreed to do this for your son. He will always remember that you played with him. It means more to him than you will ever realize!

good job,Juloo!