Wish me luck, tomorrow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betsy2, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with an internal medicine doctor in search of a compassionate doctor since I moved in December. I went to a family practice doc two weeks ago and lets just say I wasn't impressed. If I have to, I will keep my search going until I find a doctor who understands and is compassionate to my Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. At least this doctor was given to me by another Fibromite here in my town. Anyway, wish me luck.

Betsy2
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hope it goes well for you! When it comes to finding a good FM doctor, you definitely have to kiss a lot of toads before you find the prince!! Let's hope this doctor that came recommended to you is your prince. Keep us posted!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I went to see the Internal Medicine doctor yesterday and I have mixed feelings about him. I think part of the reason I am so critical is because I was very fond of my rheaumatologist in Michigan. I need to get out of the mind set that every doctor is not the same. He asked me why I didn't want to continue with the family practice doctor I had seen originally. I told him that she made judgements about my illness even before she spoke to me and saw my records from my physicians in Michigan. She basically implied that my illness was due to the pain medication and my illness was not legitimate. He did sit down next to me to interview me but when he questioned me on my meds I suspect that he was trying to see if I was addicted to pain medications. That is fine, I know it is his job but it gives me the feeling that we are suppose to grin and bear the pain. When he examined me he was far from gentle. The way he took that reflex hammer to me I thought he was angry about something else. On the positive side, he did ask me if I was satisfied with the meds I am currently taking and if they were working as best they could. He seemed to acknowledge Fibro as a legitimate condition. Also, he told me he would let me go this time but when he sees me in three months he will begin riding me about my weight if I didn't take steps to lose some. I need someone to push me in that respect. My doctors in Michigan mentioned it but didn't emphasize it. I'd like to continue to interview different physicians but it comes down to the financial aspect of it and my income isn't sufficient to do that at this time. I feel like I am just settling for mediocre like I have so often done in my life. I know I deserve the best care medically but being in limbo is hard. Well, maybe I am being too judgemental and need to kick back and see what happens.
  4. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

Good Luck,Betsy.((((HUGS)))) Beth
  5. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I asked my doc in Michigan before I left and all she did was pull a few names out of the physician directory. She didn't actually know them, she just looked for physicians that would be near my town.
  6. Debbi

Debbi New Member

I hope all has gone well - if he gives you the "addicted" response, keep pushing - take copies of any research you may have - take all info from previous physicians and MAKE HIM LISTEN - if the docs aren't educated, maybe we can help them learn - in the hopes that maybe the next person will receive a more compassionate response Deb