With Christmas around the corner, do you need help...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bluewing, Nov 14, 2006.

1. bluewing

bluewing New Member

I thought I would never say this, but am wondering about those handicapped parking spaces. Do you have trouble getting out of your vehicle, get wet when it's raining (takes too long.) Etc.

This year I'm really worried how to manage a minimum of shopping and cope with Christmas, which I dearly love.
    My bones are soooo sore and aching, I know YOU know exactly how I feel. And what to do...

Being able to be a little closer would be past wonderful, but I guess I'm afraid someone will be more needy. (Bless them!) Does anyone have those tags? And reckon someone that's had the whole shebang for many, many years might qualify for one??
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

And you would probably qualify. A lot of people on this board have them. You just have to get the form from the DMV and have your doctor fill it out.

I keep the pass in my glove compartment and only use it when I am having a dreadful day, ie. if walking from the available regular parking spaces would make it impossible to do my errand.

Most of the time I do not use it and figure the walk from the car probably does me good. But there are days when I really need it.

Hope this helps.
    Pepper
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi. I have acute rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. I've used a handicapped parking sticker for the past 17 years. That sticker makes it possible to get my errands done. I also have an electric mobility scooter in my car.

i would never find my car in the parking lot at Christmas time if I was parking in a regular parking space! Sometimes, I have to drive around the perimeter of the shopping center on my scooter to find my car! That is what happens when you get old as dirt!

Thank goodness for the horn toot when I push the car lock button on my key chain. As I drive around the perimeter of the parking lot, I just keep clicking on the car lock button until I hear my car honk back at me! Hey, if it works---don't knock it! Ha, ha.
  4. bluewing

bluewing New Member

Thank you both for answering. Pepper, I would do that too...just use it when conditions are unbearable. And Joy, what a fun way to find your car! Do you drive yourself? My husband is afraid my knee bones (and others) will jump out of place, and it's really painful to coax them back.

My doctor knows my problems so maybe he might help me out.
    That might make my holidays a little brighter. I'll have to let you know what happens, and you've made me feel better about even thinking about it!
  5. bozey

bozey New Member

Just last week I had my doc fill one of those forms out for me. I asked him for a temporary one to get me through the holidays.

The parking lots are just awful this time of year just to do the weekly errands.

He didn't have a problem with it. And if I want to extend it after the 3 months, I know he would do it. It cost me $2.00. Mine is red since it is temporary.

I haven't used it yet but will on bad days with a full parking lot. It will make life a little easier.

Yes, there are those that are worse and maybe need the close parking too but so do you. Get one and make your life a little easier on a bad day or a nasty weather day.

bozey
  6. bluewing

bluewing New Member

Just thinking about a nasty, cold rainy day is enough to make me cringe. Struggling out a car, trying to hold an umbrella and then having to walk a long way...that makes me know better than to go anywhere. But...if I had a tag I might try it!

Sometimes I forget I don't have to hide my feelings from
    people that are in the same boat with me. Life is hard for us, and we NEED help.

Thank you, my friends.