Withdrawling from college

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1975jet, Sep 6, 2006.

1. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi all;

I am going to withdrawl from college right now. I just can't do it at this time. It is not only my mind BUT my body is getting worse. I talked with my therapist on the phone yesterday and she said it is too soon-that I am not a failure. Maybe someday I can just take a course at a time on line- we will see- I was even almost falling asleep at the wheel(NOT Good Thing)-

Be well
    Janet
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I know you made the corect decision for yourself! Only
    you can know what your present capabilities are. "To
    thine on self be true". Think it applies here and you
    have faced this with great honesty and courage! Another
    road will be found by you I am certain.

Best wishes,
    MRDAD
  3. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Oh my friend, Janet, I feel the same way. I want to slow down and just take one class at a time, but that's not possible.

I'm in tears sitting here as I read your post.

Our clinical instructor told us today that we will be given upto 5 patients to take care of by the end of the semester. (this scares me)

Then she told us that because she has so many of us that we can't waste her time (not said to be mean & nasty, just realistic)

We are to have all our vitals done, pain assessment, know the patients lab values, what they mean, know then meds they are on, why, the side effects, and nursing interventions of side effects, before we even approach her.
    (this terrifies me)WHen do I have time to gather all this info?

I want to drop out so bad. I can just feel all the muscles in my body tensing up.

I just want to cry. I've worked so hard, but feel I can't go any further.

I hope you have support with your decision. EVeryone is against me withrawling, even my chiropractor.

Good luck to you!

E
  4. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!
    I too had to withdraw from graduate school when i first became ill about 8 years ago. i was only two semesters short of getting my master's in school counseling. i was devastated. it hindered what work i was able to get for a while. but God opened other doors for me. i received opportunities and blessings despite the withdrawal. do what you feel you need to do for yourself. don't push too hard. your health could suffer more in the long run.

please hang in there. i am a living witness that things can work out for you.
  5. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

Don't beat yourself up, all's you can do is the best that you can do. Our limitations are not fair and it is incredibly difficult to retain much with the brain fog if we have the energy to read or research.

I withdrew from my courses at the end of summer...I just couldn't make myself do the work. I am paying a price now though, through financial aid...I am on suspension because I withdrew from all my courses. I am going through an appeal process now for fall. I am a single parent and have not received SSDI yet, so this is the only way I support myself, along with babysitting. I doubt I will continue when the SSDI comes in, unless I am feeling remarkably better.

I feel like I am in survival mode right now...just trying to get by.

Do what you need to do...if you really need the financial aid, keep enough easy courses to keep yourself at part-time status so you do not have to lose your fa.

Good Luck, gentle hugs

Jane
  6. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

I WITHDREW FROM COLLEGE, I COULD NOT FUNCTION ANYMORE, I COULD HARDLY GET TO CLASS, LET ALONE STUDY AFTER, WHEN I WAS NOT AT SCHOOL I WAS IN BED, THEN WHEN I HAD SOME ENERGY I DID MY HOMEWORK, IT GOT WORSE AND WORSE, I KNOW I CAN GO BACK WHEN I AM BETTER, SO FOR NOW I USE MY ENERGY TO TRY AND GET BETTER, COLLEGE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE, AT THIS POINT AND TIME IT WAS NOT MENT TO BE FOR ME, AND IF IT IS I WILL GO BACK WHEN I CAN, BUT WHEN I CHOSE TO STOP IT WAS LIKE A HUGH WEIGHT OFF MY SHOULDERS. I HAVE MY AA AND WAS WORKING ON MY BA, I KNOW I CAN FINISH IF I GET BETTER BECAUSE I ALREADY MADE IT SO FAR, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, THAT WAS MY BIGGEST MISTAKE, I DID NOT TILL I WAS NOT ABLE TO FUNTION HARDLY AT ALL. YOU DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU, LIFE IS NOT A TIME TABLE, EACH OF US HAVE OUR OWN PATH BEST FOR OURSELF AND THAT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT.GOOD LUCK, BLIZZY
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

There are many paths to achieve our Dreams in life .Always put your health at the top you will find a way just do not give it all up.

Learn threw life experences also .Take care of yourself.
    I did not finish my college and there have been many times I have wished I did .It seem like my health was harder on me then ,but my health has been on a rollercoster ride.I wish I'd had a board like this when I was young with all their help. Hopefully you will do better if you rest but remember life goes by very fast.Do not do like I did and loose those years .Even a class here and there will add up for your future.Good Luck!
  8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Thank you all for your compassionate words and for believing in me. I do know someday I will take maybe a course at a time and try to do it from home. The hussle, bussle at school and not sleeping and being in pain was making me feel like I was that little fly 'Help me, Help me'.

I had to nip it in the butt right now- this way I am not wasting anyones time or money. I need the energy I have for my DH- I felt like a zombie and when you are in pain and soo tired it makes it more difficult to concentrate. I know I will follow my dream someday but right now was just not the time for me.

Be well my friends - Hugs
    Janet
  9. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am sorry you have to do this at this time because you are not feeling well. But, I think it is wonderful that you realize your limitations and make changes in your life accordingly. I think that shows wisdom and good judgement. Getting well should be your #1 priority right now. :)
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

sorry you have to w/d but you need to take care of yourself right? i would reccomend learning the dragon speak naturally....that will w/the typing stuff...but as for the energy i am trying to find where it is hiding at...

hugs gf

jodie
  11. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I know it's a very hard decision to make. I've been there. Last semester, I had to withdraw in the exact middle of the semester because things kept getting worse. I almost cried when I had to sign the papers. It was an even harder hit when I went to pick up my chem exam and i scored a solid B on it and I wonder if I would have been ok finishing off the semester. Looking back now, the symptoms never went away, and since my stufy habits were so disrupted, and I could never make it to classes, I know it was the right decision. I have an awesome advisor here that understands completely, and tomorrow I'll be meeting with him to decide whether or not I'll stay here this semester, and what my other options are if I have to leave again. I'll let you know what he says, since he's awesome and maybe his advise will be helpful to you. If you need someone to talk to one on one about this you can im me at wingyuy07 that's my aim sn. I wish you the best of luck.

-June
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had to drop from 10.5 units ...to 7 units,,,i just pray i don't get so sick i can't move...some of my classes only allow you to miss 3 days...

i do have a note from disability resources to please take in to consideration that due to my health that i may miss more than usuall...

so i am pushing myself...i hit the wall this past weekend...
    i am still trying to fight everyone...ssa to give me money owed to me and get the 120 late payment of from my fico score...

then cody got ill w/ibs....

he said he needed morphine...

well anyways..we just have to try to accept the little we can do...

and i already forgot the name of the person that posted on her chem test "b"...you could still maybe just go back and take only one class a sememster...it jsut may take us longer..

but i reccomend dragaon speaking naturally...

i am just learning..i got to do my psychology now...frick...

can't focus...you know what i amean..

jodie
  13. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Hugs Janet I will think of you often.
    Take care ,learning to really rest ,I mean really rest is a great accomplishment for all of us.
  14. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

People who at least try are never failures. Please remember that.

Ellen
  15. brella

brella New Member

i think about leaving college... it's very hard to deal with FM and college.

you are not a failure. taking care of yourself if the most important thing in life.
  16. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I had to do the same thing after 2 years of college.

i struggled so much. I had to withdraw from classes cuz I would miss to many and I was failing them.

I feel like a failure sometimes, but I know it is not my fault. I just cannot concentrate and study and my body cant take it. These campuses are huge!

You are not alone!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  17. hob

hob New Member

I'm sorry that you have to do this. I had to do the same my last year of college. I know of a few online school where they give you one class for 6 weeks and are as accredited as a tradtional brick and morder school. I would look into something like that in a bit. It sounds like you need a break first. good luck to you
  18. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi,
    I am packing up my books to take to school- I have to fill out forms when I get there. My DH and I talked and talked, I just know this is not the time and could see myself failing in classes-I know it was only a week-but the week put a toll on me. Jodie, don't try and push yourself,maybe it is not your time.

Lets all keep in touch- Someday I would like to start and maybe take a class at a time on-line.. I hear what you are saying about the school being big- this is only a community college BUT alot of walking and 3 floors-all of my classes were on 2nd & 3rd and I took the elevators BUT they were far away from the classrooms.. AGHHH

Be well my friends- I have to follow my priorties at this time which God is saying take care of your mind and body because I have to take care of my serious ill Hub.
    Hugs - Janet
  19. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I know I am not alone- I had one of my 'polio' friends send me a 2 page letter and she really spelled it out for me. She not only has PPS but also FM and CFS.. She is a very wise lady. In it she stated"It's not defeat to admit you need to rest. It's not losing when you adjust your life to suit your abilities. It's not failure when someone can't accomplish all their dreams. Few people ever do, even the "well" ones. It is simply an adjustment in one's life to do what we can,when we can."

That part hit home so much. I had to copy the letter so I can read it when I am down.

Be well my friends HUGS
    Janet
  20. carebelle

carebelle New Member

my husband will complete his Doctorate this year .Hes taken classes when ever he could .He was in the army for 20 years ,raised three children with me,held a job after the Army and finly will become a teacher this year at a College back home.

So do not give up on your Dream its not how fast you run the race sometimes but just that you run it and you finish.

Good luck I'll be thinking of you