Withholding sympotms for fear of cost??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I suspect that a friend is doing that but she claims she is just tired & the heat is bothering her.

This friend doesn't have any insurance and I believe that she filed for bankruptcy a few years ago too, so wouold not even have that option should her medical bills become a huge amount.

any ideas on this??

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know that they are not always as good as other options and that people frequently have to wait longer to get in, and that many times continuity of care is not great, bc people see different Drs each time they visit, but if there are no other options, free or low cost/sliding scale clinics or teaching clinics (where interns are the docs) can still give decent care (despite the limitations)....and at the very least, they could be a starting place for trying to get a DX and for maybe getting referrals to other low cost options if more care is needed. Also, some churches offer single day clinics that are open to anyone and free. Like I said, I realize that these are not the ideal way of getting treatment, but they are preferable to doing nothing. (And sometimes, the teaching clinics are actually better in a way, bc the student interns are more up to date on the newer treatments).
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The hospitals have low income programs where if you are really low income, they waive all the copays and stuff. I had it happen recently. The hospital had me fill out a form and they said I qualified for their special help/charity program. All of my hundred dollar copays are waived for all my visits and I don't get charged for going to the ER.
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Thanks for your help. I will tell her when I see her .