Woman in store said brother "healed" by surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lca, Jul 8, 2008.

1. lca

lca New Member

I was in Penney's yesterday for a rare and elusive shopping trip looking for comfy shoes. As I handed the clerk my check she noticed my Help Raise Fibromyalgia Awareness printed above my name on my check. She said "Oh, my brother has that, but he had surgery and he's all better now." I just gave her an odd look like o_0 and said, "Really? I'm not sure he has Fibromyalgia because at this time there is no cure." She said he lives in Phoenix and doesn't see him or talk too him much, but that's what he told her.

If I wasn't so hot, tired and having aching legs wanting to home as soon as possible and had she not been a total stranger, I might have been compelled to add to the conversation and set her straight on a few facts.

How sad this is the mentality and information that one person has. Makes you wonder what exactly this guy's doctor told him before his surgery. Also just exactly what was his surgery? Something smells fishy here.

2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I had a full brunettectomy and needed a blondbotomy.......I have already learned in my short 'official' tenure as a person with FM, that everyone knows someone who has it and PRAISE the lord was cured by spider venom and salsa dancing. I've already been told that this isn't a disabling disease, that pain medication won't help it, that it is only mind over matter, and I've only been a member of this elite club for one month.

I just smile and usually ask if they have to milk their own spider venom and will any dance school work or does it have to be Fred Astaire? I then tell him that any day I can walk upright is a good day and I promise not to tell the Vicodin it isn't killing the pain. It might just be the nature of my personality but a sharp, smart-A remark always seems to make me feel better.

I think I shall have that printed on my next batch of checks, too.
  3. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

"I have already learned in my short 'official' tenure as a person with FM, that everyone knows someone who has it and PRAISE the lord was cured by spider venom and salsa dancing."

texangal...i am laying on the flooring laughing so hard i think i peed my pants!!

Since being diagnosed in 1999 with FM, I've heard a lot of "i'm healed" stories. I'm going to start using that in my reply.

now, can someone please give me a hand up off the floor? if not, i'll be laying here when my dh come homes tonight :)~
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

there is a "Dr." in Portland , OR who makes a lot of money doing surgery on Fibromites. He claims that breast implants cause FM and they need to be removed.

I don't know if any of his patients are ever "cured" , but I'm relatively certain he has very few male patients.

Your story smells beyond fishy....or maybe the Penny's clerk has vision or cognitive problems......

Blessings ,

5. simonedb

simonedb Member

actually if he had a neck or foramen opening issue it could be valid, google dr.heffez and dr.rosner and chiari malformation etc......
  6. lca

lca New Member

I did however ask her if he had some kind of neck surgery. Her answer was that she didn't know. The woman wasn't exactly full of information. I left there in a stunned daze.
  7. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

I had a good laugh earlier. But...

Seriously. I don't discount what someone says works for them. We are each INDIVIDUALS. That's what makes us special. However, that (we are all individuals) is the very thing that some people forget when they try to tell us (those of us with FM or CFIDS) that if you only "try this" you'll be cured.

I believe that people have varying degrees of what doctors term as "fibromyalgia" only because NO ONE yet knows exactly what has malfunctioned in our bodies or brains that causes the varying symptoms we all suffer from.

We are diagnosed with FM only AFTER all other KNOWN TESTS come back negative or inconclusive.

The human body is a mystery and every person has individual reactions to any illness.

IMHO, that is why no 2 people with this diagnosis have the exact same symptoms nor will they react in the exact same way (good or bad) to any medication, supplement, surgery, massage, chiro, tens unit, yoga, prayer, etc. etc. etc., or "treatment" that anybody comes up with. There are so very many factors in a persons life that can affect them physically, mentally, and emotionally.

It is wonderful that on this support site we are able to gather information from all areas of "treatment" and gain knowledge of tools that we can use to help ourselves push through until the time that there is a definitive answer for the term FIBROMYALGIA.

Take care of yourself, no one else can do it for you!

8. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I don't have breast implants so do you think if I GET them I'll be cured?????

I would dearly love a new pair of boobs, mine keep losing air........

Hmmmm, I don't know Grammy, maybe I should put the "smart-a" comment on my checks, it might discourage forgers (who will be even more heartbroken when they see my balance) *L*.

I'm the only person who says "STEAL my identity, you certainly can't hurt it" *LOL*.
  9. dinda

dinda New Member

I'm not sure what to think about someone being healed by surgery. I sure have enjoyed reading these posts on this discussion. It's great to see people still have a sense of humor even when they are feeling bad.
  10. poets

poets Member

FM is caused by BREAST IMPLANTS??????? BREAST IMPLANTS!!!! Then why do I have it when I had a reduction? Sounds "fishy" to me too!

And texangal81......You're a treasure! BTW....Mine grew back when I gained weight with the FM.

BILLCAMO New Member

and some people here may not know that laughter is the best ....&......cheapest .....medicine......YET....

Tex , you send me the postage and I'll mail you a box of band aids .....they may stop the leaks and they are a cheap "boob job"....I may have to go to yard sales to find myself a bra....and my "6-pack" has turned into a sack of crushed cans........LOL.

Poets , I'm very glad you didn't go to the "dr." in Portland.......he walks & talks like a duck....Granted , a very rich duck. A very good NP friend of mine with Fibro went there to work with him. She left after a very short time with him because she is very ethical. She didn't know the "specifics" until she was there.

Heck , I went to a "dr." in Seattle that was recommended to me by patients. He told me I couldn't have Fibro since that was a "female mental disorder"......He survived and I left......He also retired after I filed my complaints with the proper authorities....

Blessings ,

12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Actually, breast implants can cause FMS or something that seems just like it. From what I've read though, once you develop FMS from having them, removing them does not cure your FMS.

It's possible that those people who have them were going to get FMS or had it already and it wasn't severe. I don't know. But I've read that people develop FMS after car accidents and surgeries so it makes sense that breast implants can cause it too especially considering they're totally foreign matter even if they don't leak.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2008]