Womanly Topic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jun 1, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm wondering if any of you know what a good herbal supplement is to use in place of premerain,,,,,(esrtrogen replacement),,,or,,Hormone replacement Therapy,,,,I've been trying to get off the premerain for along time now,,,,,,,,Suggestions Welcome!,,,,,,,,Thanks!,,,,,,,Sis
  2. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I don't know about herbal remedies, but I do think Soy products are good for that.

Good luck,
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am not to sure tht I have an aswer for you or tht there actually is an answer to that. I was on HRT for many years and then decided to get off of the Premarin (even though it was a low dosage) due to my high b/p/ I understand that could help tompossibily cause strokes. So I jus got off of them a few yeears ago.

Actully, I think I am old enough tht I ahould not have to worry about hot flashes and such but I still do.

If you really want to get of the Premarin I suggest that you try soy or Estroven which I think may havs some soy in it. Actually it really didn't do alot for me I don;t think or maybe it took the endge off shall we say.

However, in the end now I am taking nothing and bearing with it. In time I think I have had less of the hot flashes. So you may have to grin and bear it for awhile and hopefully the symptoms will lessen for you.

Hugs and blessings,

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My dr recommends Remafemin. It is a pure form of black cohosh I believe. My sister who is thru menopause swears by it...it has greatly reduced her horrible hot flashes. They have a website and offer free samples...at least they did a few months ago when I told her about it.

I'm perimenopausal and tried it. I didn't notice any benefit myself, but as usual, we're all different. Good luck, there's lots of info out there on the internet:)
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Thankyou all for your wonderful suggestions! i've been on Premrain since a total Hyst in my late 20's earlie 30's,,,,,,have tried alot of different types but can't seem to do with out it,,,,,literaley!!,,,,,,

have cut back on dosages over the years,,,,,,,i will try the Estroven and the Remafremin,,,and hope and pray that they will work,,,,,,i'm not on any thyroid meds so that should be ok,,,,,have been researching this but couldn't find the black cohosh,,,,,,,,Thanks again for all your help!,,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2008]
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your replies!,,,,,,Iv'e been looking into the Black Cohosh and the evening Primrose oil,,,,,also estroven,,,,,,,Some Great options to choose from!,,,I'm off to the store to get some of this stuff to try!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope you all are having a Great day!,,,,Sis
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

if you are very sensitive to medications. I am, and after taking the black cohosh for several days, I started to expterience this creepy, crawly feeling on my arms as I would start to wind down, go to sleep. It was a horrible, almost indescribable feeling but I knew it was a reaction to the cohosh. People often think that if something is herbal or OTC you can't have a reaction to it, so just be careful!!

8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I take a very low dose of Estridiol. I was going to try something natural but too many of them are not recommended with the meds I take. Make sure you check for interactions.

9. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I quit using premerian years ago when I found out how it was made. Being a horse lover it broke my heart to see how the horses are treated just to make this drug. You can read all about it at premarin.org if you want to.

Take Care,
  10. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I tried just about everything and nothing worked. Premerain and one other made my legs swell so bad, I had to get off of them. I have tried all of the over the counter stuff too and nothing worked. After 13 yrs of hot flashes I am really sick of this... They are back again with a vengeance and I am post menopausal almost 5 yrs.. Really sick of this now... LOL!!!!!

I hope that you find something that works....
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Seems to be a really sore subject with alot of us! It's funny how some of it works for some woman and then none of it works for others!,,,,,Oh the joy's of being a Woman!

Not sure when i actualy went through Menopause due to having a Hysterectomy at the age of 29,,,,,,,due to Endrometreosis and a slew of other problems!,,Feels like i've gone through it 2 or 3 times!,,,lolol,,Not Funny I Know!,,,

Absolutley hate going to the Dr. to get sent through all the testing every year!,,bloodwork etc,,,,Mamogram,,You Know!,,,,,,,Have discovered that if i'm having a hot flash ,,that putting a cold wet towel around my Neck seems to help almost right away!,,,,,,,,and -or a cool towel on the forehead,,,,,,,,,

Plus the Dr. said that since our internal thermostats seem to be not working right with this DD that it will seem like we are having more hot flashes than normal!

Thankyou all for the input!,,,I've decided to stick with the premarin because it works for me! ,,,,,If anyone has more suggestions for relieving hot flashes ,,,please post them!,,,,,,,,,Thanks again!,,,,,Sis
  12. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I was experiencing mild hot flashes monthly several days prior to my menstrual cycle--thus the recommendation of the black cohosh. As I mentioned in my post above, I did not have a good experience with that.

However, I have noticed a considerable abbatement of the hot flashes since I gave up red meat (including veal) and red wine. After reading how severely cows are hormone fed to speed up their growth process, and especially the young calves for the veal, it all began to make sense. I discussed this with my close friend, who was treated for estrogen driven breast cancer, and she told me many of her doctors recommended that she eliminate red meat from her diet as well for precisely the reason stated.

Of course it's personal choice for everyone but I just wanted to let you know the difference I saw in a short period of time. If you do currently eat red meat, give it a try and eliminate it from your diet for awhile. See if it makes a difference. Let us know!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
  13. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Be careful of soy use too. It has been linked to growth of breast cells, may hamper immume system, may increase periods, and all sorts of other issues.

I've tried it all and nothing worked. I'm on year 7 of peri-menopause and damn tired of it!
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Wanted to let you all know that i have succsessfully transisioned to "Evening Primrose oil" from Premerain,,,,,,,,Yeah! Been trying to do this for years!,,,,,,Thanks for all your advice and tips!,,,sis
  15. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I used red clover for a long time. Also flax seed oil or fish oil. There is progesterone cream that you can buy at health food stores. Good luck and Godbless