WON SSDI from scary judge

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scotlandrose, Sep 7, 2009.

1. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

I live in GA and SS is WAY backed up. Filed 2 yrs ago, turned down twice, finally got a hearing with a judge by video in DC.

The lady before me came out crying, and i was being warned he was a former federal prosocuter, mean, stern etc... Great. It was 5PM and my hearing was supposed to be at 3PM, I was sure he was in a great mood.

They swore me in. Here are some of the questions he asked:
    1. What the hell is music therapy?
    2. In the least amount of words, give me a convencing, powerful example of music therapy.
    3. What the hell is Chronic fatigue Syndrome?
    4. Give me specific examples of your pain, fatigue, and life now.

Next, everyone started talking in legal jargon over my head. I asked my advocate...who did not say a damn thing nor could she find things the judge asked her for, said i had been approved and they were arguing over back benefits. I told them where to look and got 2 extra years of money.

Judge told me at the end of the thing that he hoped I would get better because he thought i was probably a damn good therapist at one time and also said I would have made a good lawyer.

What a trip! Now I gotta wait who knows how long to actually get anything. I had prepared so much for this and was asked NONE of the questions I expected. When he said he did not know what CFS was, I thought i was screwed.

People in the room said i was the only one who won that day. Who knows why. Took only about 20 minutes.

Good luck to everyone else and please ask if you have any questions.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That IS scary sounding. Whew! It's too bad people have to go through that. It's a crazy system.

You probably won't have to wait too long get your money. When I was approved, I think I received my first check within a month or so, and also back benefits within a relatively short period of time.

3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I applied 3 years ago and finally got a hearing 2 weeks ago. I'm in Seattle. My judge is in Houston.

After 3 years of waiting, worrying and filling all the endless forms, the hearing took 12 minutes. There was no discussion of my health. The judge asked each of his consultants if I fit the definition of disabled, they said yes. It was so clear I was approved that even my attorney declined to ask questions.

I'm waiting for the official letter and then I'll write more about it. I don't want to jinx it. It's a little hard to believe it's all over.

Congratulations to both of us.

4. hensue

hensue New Member

I am so glad you got it! I am going with allsup, they told me yesterday not to get my hopes up for round two. I havent, I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, high blood pressure, migraines and you know the drill.
    As I got older I just could not continue to work even though we would all love to I am sure.
    Instead of this pain.
    I have not been to the doc as they want to much cannot afford to.

I am proud for you mine is about 2 years now. Since I filed
    Wish me luck
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

I am thinking you did since he said you would be a good lawyer.
    Tell me more
  6. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

Congratulations on winning your case!

When I won last year the judge only asked me a question or two. It was all over in about 5 minutes.

As it turns out the judge told my lawyer that he knew someone with Fibro or CFIDS and that he knew it was real.

Congrats again!

7. TerryS

TerryS Member

I, too, am in GA...filed for a hearing two years ago. My LTD company hired an attorney for me. I was told a couple of months ago that a hearing date had been set for me as a video conference (like the one you just did). My attorney told me I could opt out and request a face-to-face instead...they said there were two attorneys doing our (Atlanta's) video conferences and that one was very good and one was very bad (with respect to CFS and FMS). Anyhow, I took his advice and requested a face-to-face hearing.

So, I've been sitting here waiting since end of June for a hearing date. I got an envelope from SS in the mail on Monday. I opened it and expected to see my date. INSTEAD, I saw that I had a fully favorable decision on my case! YAY! It was dated 9/3/2009.

Now, like you, I am waiting on the payments to start. And then I have to clean up the mess of overpayments that must be paid back to my LTD company. I'm not complaining, though. Just glad that I had LTD all this time, especially since it took soooo long. Total of just over 2-1/2 years since I first applied.

Anyhow, again, congratulations!

Terry S
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU and to all of you who have won your cases!

I cannot stop working right now to even apply for disability. I do have a question if you don't mind asking since I'm pretty ignorant about the whole situation.

Do you get the payments that you get when you receive those statements in the mail once a year - the ones that state if you quit working right now you'd get "X", if you worked til you're 62, you'd get 'x"

How is it determined if you get a video conference or appear face to face in a courtroom?

What a relief is must be for all of you!
    I wish all of the others who are still fighting much luck!