(((((Wonder about my son when he has a fever)))))

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, May 24, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Because of the history of FM in the family I am paying attention to my children as they grow up.

When my 7 year old son has fevers, he always get nausea and vomits even if he just has a cold fever. There are no exceptions- as the temperature is there, he WILL vomit.

This seem to me to be a sensitive nervous system which I can relate to myself, and as I grew up I got unusual sensations (nerve) from fevers too.

He says to me one morning a week ago that he sometimes feel nauseous when he wakes up in the morning. His balance have been very sensitive, I can tell on the playground now and in the past where spinning was something he could not tolerate.

He got an inherited heart murmur (HunkPapa Sioux) that have not grown away, but they said it seem to be ok now. I know heart murmurs usually grows away, but it has not in his case, and when they remain they can grow into heart problems when they grow oder (adults).

Sometimes I wonder if it's signs of FM/CFS in childhood, or that his heart murmur is causing more issues than they can see on an echo cardiogram.

He is sensitive to warm weather which seem to fatigue him and make him tired, he goes indoors and sit down by the TV, even if his best buddy (neighbor) is outside.

I am of course going to find him a different pediatrician than the current (no-good) one, but I would like to hear from you if you have any experience at all with this kind of stuff.

I have that sixth sense feeling I have to keep an eye on things, if you know what I mean. Any input would be helpful!
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I worry about my kids the same way too.

Especially when it comes to my particular demons (bipolar, depression, substance abuse), the LEAST of which is FM.

My oldest daughter is very sensitive, in the same way I was at her age - however she has the advantage of a stable home life with loving parents, which I did not.

All we can do is watch and wait, and if a problem does arise, deal with it. I try not to project, but it can be hard sometimes not to wonder, "What if she's just like me?"

I make an effort to "keep it in the day", otherwise my overly analytical nature will make me insane.

We are already a step ahead of the game, because we know what to look for.

Stay vigilant and get a pediatrician that you love and who loves their work - that makes all the difference - someone who will treat your child like one of their own. I do feel that way about my children's doc and his NP, they are very loving and it is constantly reflected in how they treat my "babies".

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

it is only when he catch a bug where he develops fevers this happens. He got no tubes in his ears, and no migraines (thank God, I developed migraines at age 3!).

I am not very worried, but I do find it odd, there must be a reason for this. Normally people don't vomit from mild to average fevers.

Coupled with the warm weather sensitivity (profuse sweating, weakness, flushing) I think it's worth keeping an eye on, and research what could possibly cause this.

Madame Curie,

you are right about taking things day by day. I am NOT much of a worry wart, but I do of course keep an eye on abnormal stuff.

When normal play gets interrupted by his symptoms and on bad days prevents him from functioning in school I think it's a good idea to observe and tell a pediatrician.

Many thanks and blessings!!

Lena

4. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

You know, it's funny you mention this, because I forgot about my own experiences as a child. My mom tells me this all the time though. I'm 24 years old now, but, as a child I remember EVERY time I had a fever (slight or high), I would experience nausea and vomiting. No matter what the fever was from.

It sounds like something is definitely going on, because at 7 years old he should have tons of energy. I can clearly remember before getting sick with mono at age 15, I was always wanting to out with my friends and be up and about. Then, after getting sick, it was like I was a completely different person. And I remember thinking it couldn't have been normal, because none of my friends slept as much as I did.

Definitely find a doctor who will listen to you and your son, and who can get to the bottom of this. He is too young to have to go through this every day. I'd say follow-up on the heart murmur. Many kids do outgrow them, but many don't. I know I have a heart murmur. The other thing is, sometimes they may come and go. But, it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out anyway.

I hope this helps. Gentle healing hugs to you and your son.

Kim
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I' ve got sooo many great replies, however, my daughter is pulling my shirt to go to the park, so I'll have to hold my horses and reply later.

I must sya, it sounds pre-fibroish, though, doesn't it?

Many hugs,

Lena

BTW, my son is on the pic in my profile,,, a cutie!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I look back to my own childhood, I can now recognize some signs of things to come. I was a sensitive child with an explosive temper. I had ADHD but no one then knew what it was. I can remember feeling nauseated a lot of the time, especially in the mornings. I seemed to get sick quite a bit and would run temperatures and halucinate and have the chills. In my 20's, I started having hip pain which no doc could explain. I easily developed infections. Still, at the time, I considered myself strong and healthy except for bouts of fatigue. I am almost 62 and it wasn't until 15 years ago, however, that my illnesses were triggered full blown by a mycoplasma infection.

When my own children were growing up, they also had some symptoms but again, they weren't severe enough to lead us to believe anything was wrong. Both of my daughters have FMS now. We are watching my little grandson and hoping he escapes these illnesses. BTW, my Mother had FMS and from what she has told me, I suspect her Mother had it also.

The young can recover from various infections but they need to be sure they get plenty of rest and don't try to push through the symptoms. They may not handle stress well and I think that has to be taken into consideration. I pray for healing for you and your family. Try to find a good doc who can help your son.

Love, Mikie
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Bless your heart, Mikie.

I notice that stress hit hard on my son, and I am trying to make things slow-phased when needed.

I notice that school (although he has the "best behavior award" in class) he struggles to wake up, get ready for school, and then do his job there. He is very bright, but it seems his body is holding him back some.

I will try my best to find a good doc here in this small town (sigh). If nothing else, in a not too far future I am moving back to Sweden, and there FM is considered a disease, all physicians are educated in diagnosing and treating it.

The treatment there is very good, and the schools will work with the families who have sufferers of school age.

My son reminds me so of me when I was young. The neurological sensitivity, the emotional sensitivity and low stress tolerance.

I have a sudden fibrofog, can't think of another thing to say,,,I better post this now,,,LOL!

Lena

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I didn't know Sweden was so advanced in FMS, expecially when compared to the rest of the world. I'm so glad to hear that there is a place where this is taken seriously.

Your son is so lucky to have you to understand his needs. God bless you both.

Love, Mikie
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I think the advancement is there because physicians are totally free from health insurance companies, there are none! The Government can't butt in, nor the Social Services.

Therefore, the physicians and medical sciences are able to work for the patient, not someone else.

I think the same thing would be the case here if the system were different. I bet that is why we prefer to pay a couple of extra procent in taxes, to keep this freedom and to give every living individual absolute and free health care.

I didn't realise how great that system was until I experienced other systems. I guess all I can do is bless my good ol' grumpy country,,,,LOL!

Yes, I do love my son, and I think my own experience growing up helps me to be alert to subtle things that my parents possibly couldn't put their finger on before this syndrome was discovered. They just knew there was problems, but had no idea what it was.
  10. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so sorry that your son has these problems. I would try to find a good doc that will do some tests.

My middle son has so many symptoms of fibro! I am concerned about him...but he won't talk to the doc about it. He is an adult now...so he will have to make that step for himself.

I will pray for good out come for your sweet son. You are so blessed with the two sweeties!!

Love...Mari

Oh...I added another pic in my profile. I found it and thought I would enter it. It was taken at my oldest son's second wedding a few years back. It is only one that I have of all my guys together since they were grown. I just thought that you would like to see it. I have aged so much since that pic.

Love Mari
  11. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Mari,

So good to hear from you! Your sons are all handsome! You have the type of appearance that just gets more beautiful with age, I wouldn't worry about aging if I were you,,,

Yes, it is sad that my son has those symptoms, but I am fortunate to have him with me young enough to be able to teach him the importance of seeking medical help.

I am thinking back at my step father who passed away from liver cancer at age 54, he had symptoms that increasingly got worse over a period of 4 years and never went until it was way too late. The transplant he recieved was too late.

Maybe that story will be helping my case, he was the most angel-like person you can imagine, and brought the best out of everyone. If someone spoke bad about somebody else, he would always defend them, just to give you another view before judging.

I was blessed to have two daddies! My birth father is still kickin' (he would laugh at that expression), and is a wonderful man too, but an old time character, a little stern and very wise. Lots of fun to talk to!

Well, there we go again, fibro brain bringing on a totally different subject,,,LOL!

I am so glad to see you post, Mari. I hope you are doing well.

(((hugs)))

Lena
  12. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I think of you so often...and others on the fibro board, but don't have as many days as I did... where I can sit, read and post.
    I want you all to know that I haven't forgotten you all. I
    pray for you all.
    This board just moves along fast you know...so if we aren't here alot...we miss SO much.

I love the pic of your sweeties! Wow...your son is growing so much from the last pic that I saw him in....and your little girl sure does look like a mommies girl!

Take care of yourself.

Love, Mari

Oh... I was going to mention..biggest thing!
    I have a granddaughter that would always vomit so easily when she had a fever. She has two sisters that don't do it as easily.

But, now that she is getting older it is better...maybe that will happen with your son. They are exposed to so many viruses at school also.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/25/2006]