Wonder Drug.......Imetrex!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marinemom, Oct 3, 2002.

1. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Good morning to all. I was just wondering how many of us are using Imetrex for migraines.

I just came off a 6 day battle with ONE and let me tell you, 19 hours of labor is much more appealing. Finally, I was able to convince my Doctor to give me something more effective, so he called me in a Rx for Imetrex.

That stuff IS GOLD!! For the first time, I woke up with NO headache! I laid there for a minute, wondering if it was going to hit when I moved. Blinked a few times, no pain, moved an arm, no pain! If I had been able, I would have done cartwheels!!! =) Of course, that's not an option, but hey, NO MIGRAINE!!! WOOHOO!!!

Hope all of you have a WONDERFUL weekend. My hubby is going to be home this weekend (after being gone for 3 weeks) and I told him that he HAD to pretend to LIKE me for the WHOLE time he was here! So, we'll see.

(((((((((((((hugs to all))))))))))))))
    Kathy
  2. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Good morning to all. I was just wondering how many of us are using Imetrex for migraines.

I just came off a 6 day battle with ONE and let me tell you, 19 hours of labor is much more appealing. Finally, I was able to convince my Doctor to give me something more effective, so he called me in a Rx for Imetrex.

That stuff IS GOLD!! For the first time, I woke up with NO headache! I laid there for a minute, wondering if it was going to hit when I moved. Blinked a few times, no pain, moved an arm, no pain! If I had been able, I would have done cartwheels!!! =) Of course, that's not an option, but hey, NO MIGRAINE!!! WOOHOO!!!

Hope all of you have a WONDERFUL weekend. My hubby is going to be home this weekend (after being gone for 3 weeks) and I told him that he HAD to pretend to LIKE me for the WHOLE time he was here! So, we'll see.

(((((((((((((hugs to all))))))))))))))
    Kathy
  3. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

It is a serotonin re-uptake agonist--meaning you have headaches that are neurologically based, rather than tension based. I find it works much better if I take it EARLY, at the very first sign of migraine. For me, I have found that can even mean low back pain or jaw tightening. Find out what your early signs are. The one drawback for me is that this drug is so expensive that my insurance only allows me 9 per month. My doctor kindly ordered 100mg tabs, which I cut in half, as 50mg works for me. I get WAY more than 9 headaches a month. (Very difficult pill to cut in half, by the way. I think that's probably intentional. Those insurance people wouldn't want us to be able to actually afford something that makes life bearable).
  4. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Now I know why the Doctor only gave me 6 pills! They are 100 mg, so I'm gonna copy you and try cutting them in half!

Thanks
    Kathy
  5. Thella

Thella New Member

I am one who is deathly allergic to it.
    Thought I was having a heart attack and ended up in the emergency ward. No waiting straight to the heart monitor.
    Turns out that some people 1 in a million get heartattack like symptoms and yes I am that one.
    It is now on my chart at the pharmacy that non of that type of drug are to be given to me.
    Anyone taking it as a new drug should make sure someone is there with them for the first time. Just in case.
    Thella
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Ditto the above post. It was 3 days before I could use my arms properly again. Yes, it took away the headache but who cares. I was paralyzed fo almost an hour. My Rheumatologist said every FMS patient he prescribed it to had the same problem I did, so I am surprised at your positive experiences. Do you have FMS or CFS?
    KLutzo
  7. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

and made me take the first dose in the office so I could be watched. Fibro people have to be so careful what they take. Fortunately for me, I have no side effect except almost immediate pain relief.
  8. seaview

seaview New Member

when I was withdrawing from the effexor I had my first real migraine. I called a friend who brought over her Imetrex and I must say it is an amazing thing. I went from please just shoot me to a coherant person. Now,, I do not advocate taking meds this way but in my case it was my only choice so I took it. I am very grateful for this med for the many who suffer all the time with migraines. I am so happy to hear it worked for you....Have fun with hubby.....Blessings,,,,Kathleen

[ advertisement ]