Wondering if anyone can help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saul, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Saul

Saul New Member

Hi all,

I come to this website everyday as a "lurker". No, not the creepy kind but someone who just reads posts and gains knowledge. I have been living with CFS for over 20 years. Like many others, it ebbs and flows for no apparent reason. Fortunately, I am able to function and work full-time but it is tremendously difficult. I push myself to extremes and have crashes regularly. I've been treated by every doctor under the sun without any real help, not that they weren't trying. I also went to the FFC in Philadelphia about 2 years ago and did their protocol for over a year without much relief.

However...I've been reading a lot about the adrenals lately and present many of the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency, although my endocrine testing showed no abnormalities. I decided to treat them on my own using an adrenal health supplement about 3 days ago. They are in pill form and are taken 2x/day. Well, I took them on Wednesday evening after I ate and then went to bed. Thinking that they would just be another supplement that I would eventually cross off my list, I didn't put much hope in them. However, when I awoke on Thursday a.m., I had unusually high energy and my brain fog was gone. Now I know this may sound absurd to most and even as I write this, it does to me as well. So thinking that I was just having a "good" day, I went about business as ususal, taking the supplements again in the morning and later that evening. I awoke on Friday with even more energy and no brain fog! This is very unusual for me so I then began to think..."hmm, there may be something to this". Today I still feel energized and was UNABLE to take a nap, which is almost unprecedented.

So my question is this...could I have an adrenal issue that was not picked up by the endocrinologist and is it possible for a supplement for this to have this dramatic effect in such a short period of time?

Thanks for listening to me and especially for all of your posts, which are a true inspiration for me each and every day.
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I most definitely do think you could have had an 'adrenal issue' that was not picked up by the endocrinologist. My first major flare with this dd was caused by a fright-or-flight incident which, as later explained to me by my rheumatologist, drains down the adrenals. Before seeing the rheumy, I had a complete evaluation by the endo and he never picked up on this nor did he discuss it with me.

In my particular case, I was attacked by a very large dog and unbelievably, I was able to gain control over the situation by quickly grabbing the dog's chain collar and twisting on it; I was able to wrestle this 100 lb beast to the ground. Thank God I grew up with a large dog!! However, I was terrified, and because I was unable to readily flee, it drained my adrenals (fright-or-flight mechanism). When someone finally was able to retrieve the dog, I was totally bent over in adominal pain (again the adrenals). Within days, the flare started. And yet, nothing seemed amiss to the endocrinologist.

I am happy that you may have found what works best for you. Thank you for sharing your positive experience; many will learn from it.

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Saul, here is what I found on the data base for the effectiveness of adrenal supplements.

This is a great website and is neither pro nor con about supplements but provides information based on scientific studies.

Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.

The effectiveness ratings are as follows:possibly Effective for...
    Improving the appearance of older people's skin.
    Improving ability to achieve an erection in men with sexual dysfunction.
    Improving symptoms of lupus.
    Treating male hormone (androgen) deficiency in women with thyroid disease.

Possibly Ineffective for...
    Alzheimer's disease.
    Improving sexual arousal in healthy women.
    Improving muscle strength in elderly people.

Likely Ineffective for...
    Improving thinking in healthy older people.

Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
    Heart disease, breast cancer, diabetes, weight loss, metabolic syndrome, depression, aging, HIV/AIDS, Parkinson's disease, Addison's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, and improving growth and maturation in girls with hormone deficiencies.

You might want to change your title to reflect that you are talking about adrenal supplements to get more responses.

I have always wondered if these supplements act as a stimulant and that is why people report more energy. and not that you necessarily have adrenal issues.

I have found that Provigil has been helpful for my energy level. I would just be very careful about playing around with hormones unless you have a documented case of adrenal insufficienty.

Hope this helps. It looks like this issue is complicated.

4. homesheba

homesheba New Member

id eat rocks if it would give me any energy...