wondering if anyone with FM has abnormal lab tests such as ANA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by camry, Oct 3, 2002.

1. camry

camry New Member

I was told for years that I couldn't have FM because I have a very high ANA (antinuclear antibodies) and also thyroid antibodies, although my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is normal. Last year I was finally diagnosed with FM. The rheumatologist told me that they're now finding out that you can very well have FM with abnormal labs. It would be interesting to know if there's an underlying thyroid problem or some type of auto immune disorder in people with FM. I'm very new to this message board and haven't come across anyone mentioning a high ANA, etc, yet. I would appreciate anyone sharing this info with me if it relates to you. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Camry
  2. camry

camry New Member

I was told for years that I couldn't have FM because I have a very high ANA (antinuclear antibodies) and also thyroid antibodies, although my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is normal. Last year I was finally diagnosed with FM. The rheumatologist told me that they're now finding out that you can very well have FM with abnormal labs. It would be interesting to know if there's an underlying thyroid problem or some type of auto immune disorder in people with FM. I'm very new to this message board and haven't come across anyone mentioning a high ANA, etc, yet. I would appreciate anyone sharing this info with me if it relates to you. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Camry
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello Camry,

My last ANA was 1:320 (1:40 normal) with a speckled pattern; SED rate of 31 (normal > 20) and also thyroid antibodies forgot the numbers. My thyroid condition is common, Hashimotos Thyroid Disease. It is an autoimmune disease and in many cases, folks with this disease also develop other autoimmue conditions. I met with a Rheumatologist this July. I was told that I had FM on the first visit. I am supposed to meet with him once a month and we will be conducting some more labs and rechecking old ones every three months.

That's my story. It sounds like we have similar conditions.

Keep posting...and welcome.
    Jan

[ advertisement ]