wondering if TICKET TO WORK or another agency could be helpful

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sleepyinlalaland, Mar 18, 2010.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

HI, I'm not a newbie but have not posted anything in a LONG time.

I have some questions about SS disability's "ticket to work" program but am paranoid about contacting them at all. I guess I worry that if I indicate to them that I am ready to work at all (part-time), that they will try to line me up with a position as a doorstop at Walmart. No offence to Walmart workers, like all honest work it is honorable, but I know I could not take the lights, noise and any uncertainty in my schedule that would form the environment of any big department store.

I am thinking about a very small-scale errand service. I do small chores and errands now for several friends who absolutely cannot get out nor drive and I gladly do them for free, as these friends have helped me enormously in the past. But it has occured to me that I CAN do these simple things for others who can afford to pay for them. I can do light household chores, sewing/mending, cook soups, shop for necessities and am a very good chauffeur. I also happen to live in an area with many up-scale seniors and retirees.

I'm NOT a very good organizer and that is why I'd like to confer with a service that may help me structure a very simple plan. I would NEVER try to make this a big deal, (I know I couldln't handle that), but feel I could make a comfortable difference in my monthly income.

Does anyone know if SSD has any services that may be useful for me in that area? Does "ticket" help one with self-employment plans, or only with gaining employment. I am a (young!) senior citizen and I also get disability. It is vitally important to me to be able to control my schedule and to keep it small.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Sounds like a great idea... but I don't have any idea.

You might try looking at the SSA's pages online, they do outline a lot of things
    and there may at least some answers there.

Hope somebody has had experience here with this, or can direct you online to
    someplace that can answer these questions...

I'm sure many would like to know.

all the best,
  3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I know nothing about the Ticket To Work program. But, I do know you are allowed to earn a certain amount even while on disability. There is a SS thread at the top of the medical board where some of your questions may be answered if you'd like to check that out.

Good luck with this venture. I think it's terrific. So many are in need of this service that you want to offer. I wish you the very best.

4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Before you take any steps with SSD, let me talk to you first. I'm on SSD, was on the SSD Coalition board, which has dissolved when MSN removed all their boards, and the leader of the SSD Coalition Board Linda Fullerton is terminal. She made a fantastic leader and had so much information and had so many people on that board that spoke about their experiences and we learned so much.

Please never, ever believe that the Social Security Administration is your best friend, your buddy and on your side. They do evaluations on all SSD recipients every so many years because they do remove some people off SSD.

Their deep down reason for the Ticket to Work is to get you off the SSD rolls completely and into a job. It is the absolute truth that after so many months on the Ticket to Worth program IT TRIGGERS an evaluation of your medical health and your ability to work and remain on SSD. Normally you may get the short form evaluation every so many years, but the Ticket to Work Program guarantees you will get a full evaluation in about 6 months.

And remember if the work you are doing shows that you are doing above and beyond what your medical records indicate you are able to do---they will take the employment of what you are doing over your medical records and behind the scene consider your medical records to be inconsistent with your actual physical activity and physical capabilities---and they will have you there. They are smart and have been through this rodeo many times. You give them a small hole and they will punch it to drive a tank through it.

What you are suggesting you do is work that already exists as paying work through companies that assist seniors and disabled and through some courier companies. Self employment, would also have you doing your own client and company books, taxes, driving around doing errands for people, cooking for people, doing household work for people, and shopping for people---don't look now, but those are very major employable skills that SSD would say you are ready to be off SSD and out into the world on your own. SSD looks for you to not only be unable to do the job you used to do, but unable to do any other job. And although you may hate it, the greeter at Walmart is one of the SSD jobs they constantly bring up.

I think it is noble what you are doing, but you are giving SSD too much credit as they may help in the beginning, but that help is to get you off SSD--and never forget they are looking to remove people from their rolls. I strongly believe SSD will eventually tell you you are employable now and remove you from SSD, you'll be without medical insurance and regret that you ever did this.

If you believe you can survive without SSD and the accompanying medical insurance, then go for it. But remember always that you risk losing your benefits by showing you can do so many major employable tasks. Truthfully, I know a person (son's girlfriend's brother) who is working and on SSD and he is highly bipolar and unstable, loses his job and goes into high mania. Due to that, he continues to be allowed to work (when he actually manages to work) and he continue on SSD. He is an example of a person allowed to remain on SSD while working.

Also remember, that every agency is making cuts in their program. You will present an ideal person to cut out your SSD benefits and be told by SSD that in the eventuality you don't make enough money doing errands and courier work, you could work at Walmart as a greeter.

Many hugs and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I had to be honest with you.

[This Message was Edited on 03/20/2010]
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

NOT offended at all by your infomation "doc", that's exactly the kind of info I was requesting. I was always pretty sure that this route was probably asking for trouble, but every-once-in-a-while...I wonder if I am wrong about those feelings. So, your contribution has cinched it for me and I will certainly forget about THAT source of help!

If I do try to earn some extra bucks with a small errand service it will be word-of-mouth and under-the-table. I really don't like the under table method 'cause I like to be honest...but to report any extra income I make would complicate the benefits I get now to the point that I'd probably be worse off than I am now. I need to either earn a LITTLE extra unreported income, or quite a bit more that would be legit, so I would get out of the..."doughnut hole". That's why I sometimes muse on a little BIGGER service, one for which I would need guidance to start out. Now, I can rule out SSA assistance and will go back to think smaller. (even my "bigger" plans would only ideally involve me for about 3 hours a day a few times a week; couldn't reliably handle more)

Thanks also to Victoria and Fibrofay for your kind words of support. I'm sure my dilemma is shared by many if not most who need government support.
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I'm so glad you weren't offended because I wanted to to let you honestly know what you were facing. Back when the SSD Coalition board was still up, there was a person who was meeting with various people involved with the Ticket to Work program to push them to allow more SSD recipients with mental health ailments to work but still remain on SSD. So there were major meetings to try to make the Ticket to Work more recipient friendly.

SSD recipients actually believe that the Ticket to Work program allows them to work and still receive SSD--technically that is true for a limited time until the evaluation is held and SSD makes their decision as to whether you remain on SSD. Now some have gone on the Ticket to Work and failed miserably and had to quit jobs and the evaluation came up and it clearly showed they were unable to work and had to remain on SSD. SSD never really discusses all this with recipients and if someone is put off SSD, it can be totally disasterous in this job market as disabled people are not being picked for jobs.

By the way, I recently met a young man who is paralyzed from the waist down and has some difficulty with his hands. He went to the State Department of Economic Security to help him find a job. They are looking for a job for him right now and also trying to get him into some computer training. My first thought was to get him the training, then look for the job because he had no skills prior to becoming disabled--with the present job market a disabled person needs skills to win in competition for jobs with non-disabled people. I mentioned to him about volunteer work as a way of getting jobs. It also allows him to get an idea whether the place is a hell hole or a place he would want to work in. And volunteer work is how disabled people that I know of have gotten offered jobs in places they truly love.

Take care and hugs.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

Whatever happened to the Coalition? It's really a shame SSD doesn't allow some kind of supplementation, especially SSI - on SSI the 'allowed amount' of earned money/month is about $60. SSI is impossible for most if not all to live on, even with supplementation of food stamps.

I know one person who worked for 9 months and then had to quit, but remained on SSD because it ended up in the result of being clearly disabled.... similar to your son's girlfriend's brother's situation.

8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The SSD Coalition leader, Linda Fullerton had originally received a bump on the head which turned out to be very serious and eventually the doctors told her she was terminal and would eventually die from it. There isn't much they could do to help her. She used to call me from time to time and she is a most wonderful and caring person, but I have not heard from her in so long. I know her health was not good when she was doing the Coalition and because worse and she was slowly backing off towards the end of the board due to her health. So when MSN stopped having all the boards, she created a small board but not with questions and answers has a small amount of info isn't finished.