Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eyesofblue, Jan 27, 2006.

1. eyesofblue

eyesofblue New Member

Hi all

I have tried to respond to some of the messages on the board this evening.

On each occasion I have been unable to find the word I want to use. I know the meaning of the word etc but the word is just not there.

Does anyone else have this problem, this happens to me when I am having a conversation too, I forget the word or my conversation comes out like I'm speaking a foreign language and sounds complete nonsense.

Any suggestions on how to help with this problem.

2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Isn't it embarrassing? I have to deal with the public in my work, and when this happens it makes me feel like an idiot!!

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

It happens to me also. And sometimes when typing I forget how to spell a simple word or will completely forget it.
    Once in a blue moon I will stutter.
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

It happens to me too. I hate when it happens, I also sometimes use a similar word automatically, then when I hear it come out of my mouth I can't believe I said that.

When I was on Cymbalta it seemed to be worse.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It is easier when writing and I can't remember a word...I can almost taste it, it's so close but can't get it....than it is in conversation. At least when writing I can use another word or just wait until it pops into my head.

I haven't sounded like a foreign language yet...just at loss for what I'm trying to say. Doesn't happen too much, but the more stressful the situation, the more it happens. I don't think this has to do with my meds...it may be the DD or just that I'm getting old. (-:

6. sharleeb

sharleeb New Member

Yes, it happens to me too. I will be in the middle of a conversation and the words or train of thought just disappears. It's as if a white sheet goes up over my brain and wipes out the words. I know it's happening and it's very frustrating. Sometimes after a few moments, the train of thought returns but most of the time, I just have to stop the conversation or go on to another subject. I remember one time I was talking to my next door neighbor and we were talking and talking. All of a sudden I couldn't remember what I was saying. He just looked at me with a very confused look on his face. It happened one time in the store. Someone came up to me to ask me about a product that I was holding. I use to notice it a lot when I was at work. Since I quit my job, I haven't been really stressed out (like I was when I was working). I use to blame it on the stress but I get it isn't. I guess it's just the fibro fog...
  7. zerped

zerped New Member

What I'm trying to train myself to do is to stop "thinking ahead," which we all do in a conversation. I've been learning Spanish, and I've noticed this NEVER happens when I speak another language. It must involve a different part of the brain, plus I'm totally focused on what word I want right now.

I was talking to someone a couple of weeks ago, and nodded towards the tool shed and tried to say "nails." What came out was "raisins." I laughed and said, "I'm sorry, what I meant to say was raisins." It took me four tries to get "nails" to come out of my mouth! I guess this is not a good time to think about going back into broadcasting!

[ advertisement ]