WORDS JUST DONT COME EASY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eyesofblue, Jan 27, 2006.

1. eyesofblue

eyesofblue New Member

Hi all

I have tried to respond to some of the messages on the board this evening.

On each occasion I have been unable to find the word I want to use. I know the meaning of the word etc but the word is just not there.

Does anyone else have this problem, this happens to me when I am having a conversation too, I forget the word or my conversation comes out like I'm speaking a foreign language and sounds complete nonsense.

Any suggestions on how to help with this problem.

Sandra
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Isn't it embarrassing? I have to deal with the public in my work, and when this happens it makes me feel like an idiot!!

Kinsie
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sandra:
    It happens to me also. And sometimes when typing I forget how to spell a simple word or will completely forget it.
    Once in a blue moon I will stutter.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

It happens to me too. I hate when it happens, I also sometimes use a similar word automatically, then when I hear it come out of my mouth I can't believe I said that.

When I was on Cymbalta it seemed to be worse.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It is easier when writing and I can't remember a word...I can almost taste it, it's so close but can't get it....than it is in conversation. At least when writing I can use another word or just wait until it pops into my head.

I haven't sounded like a foreign language yet...just at loss for what I'm trying to say. Doesn't happen too much, but the more stressful the situation, the more it happens. I don't think this has to do with my meds...it may be the DD or just that I'm getting old. (-:

Sue
  6. sharleeb

sharleeb New Member

Yes, it happens to me too. I will be in the middle of a conversation and the words or train of thought just disappears. It's as if a white sheet goes up over my brain and wipes out the words. I know it's happening and it's very frustrating. Sometimes after a few moments, the train of thought returns but most of the time, I just have to stop the conversation or go on to another subject. I remember one time I was talking to my next door neighbor and we were talking and talking. All of a sudden I couldn't remember what I was saying. He just looked at me with a very confused look on his face. It happened one time in the store. Someone came up to me to ask me about a product that I was holding. I use to notice it a lot when I was at work. Since I quit my job, I haven't been really stressed out (like I was when I was working). I use to blame it on the stress but I get it isn't. I guess it's just the fibro fog...
  7. zerped

zerped New Member

What I'm trying to train myself to do is to stop "thinking ahead," which we all do in a conversation. I've been learning Spanish, and I've noticed this NEVER happens when I speak another language. It must involve a different part of the brain, plus I'm totally focused on what word I want right now.

I was talking to someone a couple of weeks ago, and nodded towards the tool shed and tried to say "nails." What came out was "raisins." I laughed and said, "I'm sorry, what I meant to say was raisins." It took me four tries to get "nails" to come out of my mouth! I guess this is not a good time to think about going back into broadcasting!