Words of Inspiration - by famous people (ANYTHING is Possible)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Nov 4, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly."

--Buddha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Success is not measured by the heights one attains, but by the obstacles one overcomes in its attainment."

--Booker T. Washington

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Life is not easy for any of us. We must have perservance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained."

--Marie Curie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance."

--Samuel Johnson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Living for today is really difficult in our culture isn't it? But it is a very stress free way to live. No guilt, no worry, no anticipatory grief, no anticipatory anything. Wait! That sound like it may be boring? Oh no! I must be one of the impetuous Americans that just has to struggle to be happy.

The other sayings contradict what Buddha said. Hmmm. That is interesting!

Here are some more to ponder:

John Keats: Wise Sayings
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty" - that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Erin Majors: Wise Sayings
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

Emmett Fox: Wise Sayings
    A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

Francis Bacon: Wise Sayings
    A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

Rosalie Graham: Wise Sayings
    A road twice travelled is never as long.

Chinese proverb: Wise Sayings
    A single conversation across a table with a wise man is worth a month's study of books.

Unknown Author: Wise Sayings
    A single moment of understanding can flood a whole life with meaning.

English proverb: Wise Sayings
    A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.

Thomas Fuller: Wise Sayings
    A wise man turns chance into good fortune.

Baltasar Gracian: Wise Sayings
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for sharing your quotes, too! Just sorry that you had so much trouble with it. I have done the same thing here, type forever on something, then lose it somehow! Then I am so frustrated that I just turn it off and go to bed!!

I liked your quotes, thanks again for taking the time to type them out again!!

Many hugs,
    Janet
  4. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

my favourite to my daughter who had a really hard time( domestic abuse) you can stay a victim or become a survivor I guess it aplies to all of us
    Linda
    ps she is a survivor
  5. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Ive always liked the following:

'Happy the man whose wish and care a few paternal acres bound. Content to breathe his native air in his own ground'.

(Alexander Pope, 'Ode to Solitude')

and

'I do that which it is my duty to do. Nothing else distracts me; for it will be either something that is inanimate and irrational, or somebody who is misled and ignorant of the way'
    (Marcus Aurelius, 'Meditations', Book 6, 22)

When I'm feeling sorry for myself not being able to do all the things I think I ought to be doing, or am surrounded by the ignoramii and self-obsessed of this world, one or both of these pieces of prose make me feel better for just being me!

[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005]
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

Before this disease......I loved:

"The person who says they can and the person who says they can't, are both right."

Well.......I now know something that when I say I can't........I can't! CFIDS/FIBRO <G>

And sometimes when I say I CAN......I can't!

Keep smiling, love the quotes.

7. JLH

JLH New Member

OR WORDS OF INSPIRATION?