Work advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Oct 16, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I've decided its time for me to jump in and make some changes at my work. As many of you know, I'm a Vet Tech. I've been at the same place for 2 years, and lately have been paying attention to what causes me to feel worse (in addition to the rude, un-caring co-workers I talked about perviously). Things like mopping, walking dogs that pull me, having to push large dogs into a cage if they dont jump in, picking up large dogs.
    What I am thinking of doing is writing a letter to my boss and telling her that I will continue to do what I can, however there are certain things I can no longer do such as...
    Her issue will be about "her business" etc etc. I have offered to give her a Dr's note and her response was, "Alot of good that will do me."
    What do you all think I should do?
  2. cats3

cats3 New Member

Sounds like it is time to change jobs. You don't need to work in a place that causes a lot of stress!
    Is there another Vet you can work for like one that only cares for cats? You wouldn't be lifting large dogs or walking them.
    I guess you could take a cat for a walk at least they wouldn't be pulling you!

3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

because they feel they have to legally. (I don't know the laws with this), you may still have a hostile working environment. Is it worth it? I had to quit a job because of the people were so cut-throat. One employee told me I was too nice to be there. To me, the stress is not worth it. I have an advantage, though, that I am not the main wage earner here. So I can pick and choose where I will work. I have a big dog that will soon need lifting and I don't think I will be able to do it.
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I don't know what kind of advice I can give other than start looking for something else.

If you have less than 10 employees in that office, they are not obligated to follow the laws of the ADA, or anything else... you can't even get COBRA for your insurance.

How do I know this? I've been out of work since May because my boss thought I just wasn't "dependable" enough. Although there are days I think I'm having a nervous breakdown because I'm still not working, I know realize the stress was killing me and probably made me even sicker.

I wish you luck. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
    Tigger
  5. FMSlost

FMSlost New Member

im sorry to here that your job does not seem to understand. i work in a convience store and when i was diagnosed they were very understanding. all my co workers help me when i cant do something and actually tell me to slow down when they know i am overworking. i do know that if this were not so i would probably quit. maybe they don't understand and if you sat down and explained they may help. if it were me and it still did not help. i would probably quit.
  6. twister425

twister425 New Member

Hi ,
    I too work for a small animal clinc. I am a vet. asst. I have reduced my hours to 20 a week. So they schedule me in at 9 or 10 then I have a hour to an hour and a half for lunch then finish out my 5 hr day. but with lunch Im there 6 to 7 hours. To much I cant handle the pulling dogs or restraing the 75 lb dogs(especially when their aggresive). And the stress is outrageous there. So I asked my dr. to stop working for a while and he told me for my mental status I need to do something and the exercise is good for me. What does he mean exercise. Ill join curves for exercise . my jobs is not exercise its bending lifting reaching walking standing all the thing that are killing me.
    My doc has decided to send me to a pain clinic and i think I am going to stop working anyways.

I didnt mean to take over your post I was just trying to tell you I know exactly how you feel!!!!
    Sherri
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

tigger57 is right. There are no laws that protect you in a small business situation, and the business can let you go anytime. However, they would be hesitant to do that as then they would have to do unemployment and that would cost them. However, a letter like you are suggesting may push the issue with them.

I think that you need to find another line of work that isn't as strenuous. What about working as a receptionist or office assistant? There would be less lifting, etc. and you could help in the back office when needed. Where you are, there is probably already someone in the office. I'd look elsewhere.

There are other jobs out there that wouldn't require all the physical stuff. jaltair